Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your advice. Some signature cards for my friends.  (Read 4260 times)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Your advice. Some signature cards for my friends.
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
+1

I  want to make these cards to be custom ones to match different players playstyles in our usual group. We have one guy for whom trashing is crucial and another who buys Green early and so on. I figure I can make up nice looking representations and we can use one per game represented by the blank cards.
We haven't playtested them as I would like them to be a surprise. Would you see them as fun and balanced? Would you tweak the costs at all? Is Cathedral broken? Is the second Cathedral (at the bottom better or worse?)

Cathedral 4
Action
Gain a duchy or three estates then reveal your hand. Your opponents may gain a copy of any treasure in your hand.

Blessing Cost:2 ?
Action
Draw 2 cards. You may trash up to two cards in your hand.
Your opponents may either draw 2 cards or trash up to two cards in their hand.

Arcane chest Cost: 5 ?
Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this the player to your left chooses either Action, Victory or Treasure. Cards of that type cost you 2 less to buy this turn.

Shadow Council Cost: 3 ?
Action, Attack
+2 Actions
If you have another shadow council in play other than this each other player gains a curse.

Indulgence: 4
Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Gold to your hand. Each other player may gain a Gold.

Squirrel 2 (use twenty in the supply)
Action
+1 card +1 buy
Gain a squirrel
You may reveal a squirrel in your hand to gain an action and put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.
Gain a duchy or three estates then reveal your hand. You may reveal any number of victory cards in your hand to gain +1 (coin) for each card revealed in this way.

Edited to add +1 Buy to Indulgence (which was always meant to be there). I'm not sure if this fixes the card or anything but I meant it to have it. Perhaps adding one coin instead of one buy would make it more worthwhile as it essentially gives everyone a gold for an action.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:07:35 pm by somekindoftony »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Your advice. Some signature cards for my friends.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:35:55 pm »

I  want to make these cards to be custom ones to match different players playstyles in our usual group. We have one guy for whom trashing is crucial and another who buys Green early and so on. I figure I can make up nice looking representations and we can use one per game represented by the blank cards.
We haven't playtested them as I would like them to be a surprise. Would you see them as fun and balanced? Would you tweak the costs at all? Is Cathedral broken? Is the second Cathedral (at the bottom better or worse?)

Cathedral 4
Action
Gain a duchy or three estates then reveal your hand. Your opponents may gain a copy of any treasure in your hand.

Looks weak. Even without the second sentence, which makes it weaker, it would still be weak. You would never want to play this (and thus never want to buy it) until the game was almost over, and that that point, it would be hard to play it more than once or maybe twice. I don't think this would get bought any more at even...

Blessing Cost:2 ?
Action
Draw 2 cards. You may trash up to two cards in your hand.
Your opponents may either draw 2 cards or trash up to two cards in their hand.

Also too weak... so you trashing 2 cards and your opponent trashing to cards is as good for you as no one trashing any. So, playing this near the beginning is like playing a Moat. Or, if your opponent chose to draw 2 cards, then playing it is like playing half of a Chapel. Not it's not a good effect (Masquerade is so strong because it draws and trashes), but most of the time I'd be happier if my opponent were the one playing this. Perhaps if the opponent could choose to trash 1 or draw 1.

Arcane chest Cost: 5 ?
Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this the player to your left chooses either Action, Victory or Treasure. Cards of that type cost you 2 less to buy this turn.

Your opponent will just choose Victory throughout the majority of the game, making this nothing but +1 buy. Then, they'll just choose treasure otherwise. Maybe if cards except the chosen type were 2 less... they would just choose Action almost always, but at least then it's a Princess for treasures; and they won't know for sure when to say Victory instead.

Shadow Council Cost: 3 ?
Action, Attack
+2 Actions
If you have another shadow council in play other than this each other player gains a curse.

I like it. Not sure about the balance, but might be fine. Maybe will need to be instead, if Curses are given out too quickly with it.

Indulgence: 4
Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Gold to your hand. Each other player may gain a Gold.

Not sure. Gaining a Gold isn't all that great, but +, +1 buy is pretty nice. I'd probably open this.

Squirrel 2 (use twenty in the supply)
Action
+1 card +1 buy
Gain a squirrel
You may reveal a squirrel in your hand to gain an action and put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.

When you say gain an action, do you mean gain an action card? Also, there is no graveyard or library... playing too much Magic? There's a shared trash pile, or do you mean your discard? Which of those it is changes the power of this card a lot, so need clarification. Either way, you need a really strong deck to be able to handle this card; you really don't want to draw them without lots of Villages.
Gain a duchy or three estates then reveal your hand. You may reveal any number of victory cards in your hand to gain +1 (coin) for each card revealed in this way.

Well it's stronger than the first one; the nerf has turned into a buff. And it combo's nicely with itself. I think is still definitely too much; and it would still be really bad to get this too early.

Those are just my impressions; I'm no expert. Welcome to the forum!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:17:10 am »

For Squirrel, I'm pretty sure straight up "gain an Action" is way too good. Gain a bunch of Kings Courts with this and then KC Squirrel to gain other powerful cards that you can ALSO use that turn. And all of that for $2.

I feel like Cathedral will just madly rush the end of the game. There aren't that many Estates in the game, and a few plays of this will kill the pile.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:10 am »

Oops Sorry Squirrel should mean plus one action (so the card becomes non terminal) and yes I meant the discard pile not the graveyard. I haven't played Magic for years but its stuck with me it seems.

So the text of the squirrel card should be

Squirrell Cost:2
Action
+1 card, +1 buy
Gain a Squirrel.
You may reveal a Squirel in your hand. If you do +1 action, and you may put a card from your discard pile on top of your library.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:48 am »

Cathedral is fine.  It's similar to feast.  We bought feast at the end of games occasionally, to gain a Duchy. This might gain you a second Duchy.  That's pretty cool.

The treasure clause impairs the strength of using it for rushes, but has almost no impact on the effectiveness of its endgame use.

Obviously feast didn't make the second core set so it is not the best official dominion card ever, but if you lower the bar below that I think it is fine.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:49:24 am »
+1

Oops Sorry Squirrel should mean plus one action (so the card becomes non terminal) and yes I meant the discard pile not the graveyard. I haven't played Magic for years but its stuck with me it seems.

So the text of the squirrel card should be

Squirrell Cost:2
Action
+1 card, +1 buy
Gain a Squirrel.
You may reveal a Squirel in your hand. If you do +1 action, and you may put a card from your discard pile on top of your library.
Ok so a bunch of Squirrels in your deck become a mixture of Market Square and Harbinger. Probably balanced and good in games in which you want a lot of cantrips but not too exciting.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:02:50 am »

Cathedral strikes me as something that might work well as an Event.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:05 am »

I thought of this as well, but felt it would be weird to just let you buy a Duchy for , and at the event wouldn't be any different than just buying a Duchy. An event that let you gain 3 Estates could be a thing, but not sure if it would be good.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 09:43:25 am »

I thought of this as well, but felt it would be weird to just let you buy a Duchy for , and at the event wouldn't be any different than just buying a Duchy. An event that let you gain 3 Estates could be a thing, but not sure if it would be good.
There already is an event that lets you buy Silver for $2. But this would probably not be as interesting.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 11:38:56 am »

It would probably be terribroken: priceless if Inheritance is in the game and worthless if it is not.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:24 pm »

Shadow Council is interesting.  Obviously a weak village, but sometimes you need any village you can get.  The Idol attack is always fun, and interesting because if you want to curse, you have to get at least two of these otherwise not very good villages.  With no good draw, this would rarely be worth it though.  With smithy and co. in the kingdom, I think it could be very good.

I like the suggested fix to Arcane Chest.  Allow the opponent to chose the one category that doesn't get cost reduction.  I'd make sure to also include night cards though.  That makes it a little better. 

Blessing would make for a very fast game.  Not too sure if I'd want to play it.  I'd rather just let my opponents play it.  2 cards for opponents is a lot better than a terminal 2 cards for you.  Maybe it should let them either trash up to 2 cards or draw 1 card.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:38 pm »

Cathedral: Based on how broken Lurker+Hunting Grounds is I'd be careful with Cathedral, I don't think it's too strong but it seems pretty one dimensional. Like you rush Duchies with it and that's about it, I think a Crossroads/Shepherd like thing would be more interesting to someone who likes to green early? Something to incentivise early green rather than just Duchy gaining.

Blessing: The effect of this is very powerful, but the drawback is huge. Probably enough to make this never worth buying because its just going to do more for your opponents than you. The card could probably work at $5 without the drawback as a powerful, if a little bland trasher.

Arcane Chest: As others have already said you basically just name victory with this early in the game and then name treasure/action later and it's rarely going to be a particularly interesting decision. I think that type naming is always going to be a bit of a dud because of this but I can something like this working if it's a bit more like Contraband, Contraband is certainly something that can be improved upon.

Shadow Council: Seems pretty broken to me at $3. Seems like a pretty clear $5, non-terminal junking is crazy good.

Indulgence: Man these drawbacks are huge, if gaining Golds is something you want to be doing (which it often is) this just helps out your opponent way too much. It also just seems like a less fun Explorer apart from that, jumping through hoops for strong effects is usually more fun than getting them for free but also helping your opponent.

Squirrel Seems like you'd only buy this if you need the +buy, it can add a ridiculous amount of +buy to the game though.

Cathedral v2: This is more interesting than the 1st to me. It could probably gain any card up to $5 to join Altar and Artisan.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 11:49:07 pm »

Cathedral: Based on how broken Lurker+Hunting Grounds is I'd be careful with Cathedral, I don't think it's too strong but it seems pretty one dimensional. Like you rush Duchies with it and that's about it, I think a Crossroads/Shepherd like thing would be more interesting to someone who likes to green early? Something to incentivise early green rather than just Duchy gaining.

This is a really good idea. I think I'll head in this direction. It feels like gaining Duchys is just too situationally beneficial or not.

Possibly this idea:

Cathedral Cost:6
Action
Draw 3 cards
Put this card on your tavern mat.
During your buy phase you may reveal a hand with three or more victory cards.
If you do return Cathedral to play and +$3

This could be a little weak at 6 but at 5 cost it feels way too strong. Its potentially +3 cards and +$3 in the same turn. Particularly in games with tunnel or nobles.

I'm not so sure Arcane Chest is so bad as people feel though. I'd rate it about as highly as contraband except unlike contraband you might actually want to play multiples of this. It wouldn't be the first 5 card I bought but it might be in there.

I am coming round to the view that the drawback (the benefit to others) on Blessing is too high. I still want to combine some card draw with trashing and that is significantly strong. I'll keep tweaking that one I guess.

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 08:08:27 am »
+1

So, I don't know how important it is to you to have created the card ideas yourself, but there are several fan card threads here that might give you some inspiration. My Hunter and Lady-In-Waiting for example are both Reserves that like VP cards, if you want to check them out.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:25 am »

Arcane Chest: As others have already said you basically just name victory with this early in the game and then name treasure/action later and it's rarely going to be a particularly interesting decision. I think that type naming is always going to be a bit of a dud because of this but I can something like this working if it's a bit more like Contraband, Contraband is certainly something that can be improved upon.

I agree. How about giving your opponent an incentive to name a good type? For example, 1 cost reduction on her turn. Or +$1 at the start of her next turn if you buy a card with that type? Or not a type to reduce but a card not to do.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:19 pm »

I agree. How about giving your opponent an incentive to name a good type? For example, 1 cost reduction on her turn. Or +$1 at the start of her next turn if you buy a card with that type? Or not a type to reduce but a card not to do.

I guess you'd have to make it so for all players. It still gives the deciding player the biggest advantage. I guess it's best to give everyone straight +1$ if you buy a copy of the named card, but even then the deciding player can choose a bad card whenever he feels he needs no money and a good one if he does. It also has similarity to Contraband (not that that's all that bad).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.