Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How I Learned to Quit Bellyaching and Love the Hex  (Read 2644 times)

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +229
    • View Profile
How I Learned to Quit Bellyaching and Love the Hex
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:40 am »
+5

Title's a bit of a misnomer here, admittedly (unless you get the reference, in which case you know exactly how I feel about it).

See, Adam Horton and I are doing a card-by-card Nocturne discussion/review for the next episode of the podcast (if you haven't checked it out yet, here's the latest episode: ).

I try to keep opinions concise if they don't relate to maximizing chances of victory, because how you feel about a card is, most of the time, just a distraction in-game. So next week's episode I'll go into this much more briefly so we can focus on the cards themselves and how to use them.

That said, let's talk about the impact Hexes have on the game. Firstly, I do not have some inexplicable aversion to attack mechanics in Dominion (as if buying the last Highway or winning the Wharf split is less of an attack than playing a militia). In fact, I think an attack in the mix usually makes the game more interesting and dynamic in decision making.

Frankly, everything people are afraid of boons doing that they don't actually do, unpredictable swingy outcomes disproportionately rewarding or punishing one player over another and edging out skill in favor of rng, can actually come true through the Hex deck. And it does way too often.

So what makes hexers so different from booners?
For one thing, if inconsistency is a problem for your strategy, you just don’t invest in the booners. But the hexes are usually forced on you. Getting hit with poverty right after your Expedition turn, or Envious/Misery near the end of the duchy dance, when all that happened to your opponent was milling a card from famine or randomly shuffling his deck from bad omens --- oooh scary--- doesn’t teach you anything about Dominion, doesn’t encourage clean or optimized play, doesn’t really measure player skill very well, and most importantly, it just feels bad.

If Haunted Woods effectively makes your opponent skip his every other turn, you feel clever for identifying that and setting it up, and your opponent learns one more new thing about Dominion. You might be frustrated getting locked down by Knights spam or being hit by Legionary every turn, but hopefully you can at least appreciate your opponent’s play. Hopefully you can focus on how to avoid it in the future or how to win anyway. Not with Hexes. You’ve really got no recourse to the hex deck or metric of what you can do to mitigate its impact, or if you even need to. You just need to cross your fingers and hope for the best.
And it doesn’t feel nearly so good being on the other end of it, especially in a mirror.

You don’t feel clever, you feel lucky. Would you really rather feel lucky than clever?

Admittedly, hexes are contextual in their effectiveness, but that makes them worse, not better. Getting Locusts or War in the first few turns is brutal. Getting Bad Omens could even be helpful. Giving out a lucky Misery in an otherwise even game can help you clutch out the penultimate province with impunity. And what could your opponent have done to stop any of that? Pretty much nothing, all else being equal.

The other problem with the high variance of hexes is that they’re usually given out by attacks.

Every attack in the game is balanced around doing less for you than a similar card of the same cost because part of the payload is a negative impact on your opponent.
That means these random jabs demand you to commit resources to them before you can reasonably predict what they’re going to do. So you’re invested in this rng in the form of an otherwise weak terminal, reducing your hand size, etc.

That might even be okay if they were generally low-impact like the boons are, you could weigh out your options and decide in context whether or not it’s worth the investment. You could even do the same thing if they were all high-impact. But the hex deck is polarized between doing nothing at all and hitting you right between the legs. It might also be okay if there was some unifying theme in what the hexes did, like, "oh hexes tend to give out junk, can I deal with that," or "hexes tend to make your next hand worse," can I ignore those? But no. They’re all over the map so you have no idea what this card is that you’re choosing whether to commit to or ignore.

If you ignore Ambassador and get snowballed, or didn’t properly support your witches and lose the curse split, at least those cards are staring up at you telling you what you did wrong. At least you know you made a mistake. But the hexers? Your opponent just flips a coin at you every turn and you pray it doesn’t hit you in the eye.

Look, I know there will typically be several far more important factors deciding any given game than who got which hex. Shuffle tracking, prioritization, strategic flexibility and a smarter endgame will usually trump rng in any game of Dominion, hexes or no.

So aside from the whining, what can you take away from this to get better at Dominion, where's the insight? Maybe it's that you need to focus and play a cleaner game when hexes are out. Maybe you need to get thinner and keep better control of your deck than you'd normally care to. Maybe you need to assume at any given time that you opponent has two more points than he does (for fear of Misery) and make your endgame buys accordingly. Maybe you need to avoid going too light on payload for fear of War or Locusts stalling you a turn. It's probably just to know what you're getting into beforehand and play the best you can with how it shuffles out.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:41:50 pm by Screwyioux »

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
Re: How I Learned to Quit Bellyaching and Love the Hex
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
+2

Hexes seem to have a tip-over point.  At a low level of hexing, they might not do anything, but if you are consistently stacking hexes, they can become oppressive. 
It doesn't seem worth it to buy a hexer if you're only gonna hex 2-3 times over the game.
Almost ruining someone's turn doesn't do much.  but when they get stacked up, they can ruin the players next turn, rather than ruining some future turn with curses.  In some ways, they are more brutal than curses, because they can take immediate effect and the stack of hexes is endless.

I really like them for how differently they play out compared to other attacks.  Each card flip is a little bit exciting.  They SEEM random, but just like flipping coins, you smooth out the randomness by flipping a lot of them.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:07:38 am »

I really like them for how differently they play out compared to other attacks.  Each card flip is a little bit exciting.  They SEEM random, but just like flipping coins, you smooth out the randomness by flipping a lot of them.

That's why I don't mind boons, but the problematic part of hexes is them being on attack cards and thus requiring a greater commitment of resources. Per resource, hexes will come up more seldom than boons do, so spamming them really isn't an option, making the impact of your investment super dependent on which hex you flip.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:37:09 am »
+2

Gentlemen. You can't Plague in here, this is the War room!

I think it makes more sense to talk about individual cards than Boons and Hexes in general too. Like I find that Blessed Village and Cursed Village are much swingier than Tormentor for example. 

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:22:27 pm »
+2

I like hexes.  I like them a lot more than Cultist and Ambassador, which can also be fairly swingy, and aren't as fun.

If you don't like hexes, one realization, which may or may not help, is that luck and skill are not mutually exclusive.  If hexes introduce more luck into the game, they do not necessarily reduce the amount of skill in the game.  Richard Garfield has a talk about this, which I think I originally found because Donald X pointed to it.

You can think of the luck factor as the probability that a less skillful player will win.  The more luck there is, the more games you need to play in order to determine which player is more skillful.  You can think of the skill factor as how difficult it is to master the game, and how many layers of mastery there are.  Often, luck actually makes it harder to master the game, because when you lose a game, it could be hard to tell whether you were unlucky, or if you just played poorly. 

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:40:02 pm »
+1

I think Donald has said that Nocturne is intended for more casual players, and Empires is more of an expert expansion? (I may be paraphrasing to the point of overstatement.) To some extent, that means champion players aren't supposed to like Hexes.

Then again, I'm still lukewarm myself for these kinds of reasons, and I'm far from a championship player...

Meanwhile, the term for a card that can give Boons is a Fate. If you call it a "booner", one day you'll accidentally omit an "o" and then people will laugh at you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:55:27 am »
+1

I think Donald has said that Nocturne is intended for more casual players, and Empires is more of an expert expansion? (I may be paraphrasing to the point of overstatement.) To some extent, that means champion players aren't supposed to like Hexes.

Somehow I don't think Donald X. specifically tried to design a mechanic that experts wouldn't like.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:16:24 pm »

Uh... "not supposed to like X" isn't the same thing as "supposed not to like X".

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:34 pm »
+1

Meanwhile, the term for a card that can give Boons is a Fate. If you call it a "booner", one day you'll accidentally omit an "o" and then people will laugh at you.

This is intentional

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:04:50 am »
+3

This is intentional
One day you'll accidentally say boooner, did you think of that.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:02:05 am »

This is intentional
One day you'll accidentally say boooner, did you think of that.

Uh oh, seems like I need to rethink my system...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.