Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: DIY Dominion Storage  (Read 30770 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
DIY Dominion Storage
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »
+4

Hey All,

I just finished my dominion storage box (after many months of procrastinating the incorporation of cornucopia and hinterlands) and thought I'd share all the pieces for anyone who wants a GREAT storage solution for a reasonable price.

Both the box (document size) and the the dividers (2" height) are purchased from the same website and cost only $30.

Custom double sided tabular dividers can be made on cardstock using templates made by Salt-Man Z.  These can be found here, here, and here.

The final product looks like this.  With 1 small and 1 large expansion yet to be released, this box should fit all the cards perfectly (2 large and 1 small expansion in each column).  There probably won't be room for the mats if you're someone who uses them but for a classy storage box like this, the trade off is worth it.

Best of luck to anyone who might decide to do this!

shark_bait
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:17:49 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Dominion Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:21 am »

This looks like a really nice storage solution.  Unfortunately, the online store shows that the dividers are out of stock until March 20th!

Also, do you think that the dividers would be okay if printed on regular paper or would they be too flimsy compared to card stock?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:56 am »

I'm inclined to think that using cardstock is necessary.  Mostly in regard to the top of the tab because the sturdier paper will ensure that it doesn't bend.  However, you could always try printing off a few on normal paper and see if they're durable enough for your liking.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:24:01 am »

I'm wondering, how portable is this solution?

I've been looking for a good solution for some time now, but haven't made a purchase yet. Also, I haven't gotten around to getting every expansion (only have the 4 big boxes), because my budget made me choose some other games first. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

andwilk

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:48 pm »

I was also curious how sturdy this solution is?  Is the box strong enough to carry all that weight sufficiently (does the box bend/flex when moving it)?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:53:04 pm »

@davio  In terms of size, it is very portable.  In terms of height, it is only a centimeter or so higher than the normal dominion boxes.  Width is the same and the length is maybe 10-15 cm longer.  The only potential pitfall regarding portability is the fact that the top merely rests on box.  So if you want to avoid a huge mess while traveling with it, be careful about it potentially falling upside down.  You could also use a belt to secure the top as a safety precaution.

@andwilk  It is very sturdy.  The box is made out of very solid material.  With all of the current expansions included in my box, there is no bending or flexing whatsoever.  I think I can safely say that it will very easily handle the additional weight of the next and final 2 expansions.

andwilk

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »

Thanks again for posting this storage solution.  I finished mine up last night with just a few differences.  First, I ended up making dividers for the box out of black foam core board due to the fact the website is out of stock of the dividers that you suggested until May 1st.  They ended up working really well and match the inside of the box nicely.  Second, I printed the dividers on normal paper and laminated them.  My printer sometimes has issues with thicker paper, so I decided to go another route.  The laminated tabs probably aren't quite as thick as card stock, but still hold up well.

Overall, I am very pleased with this storage solution.  It fits everything in the box nicely with room for expansions.  I'd say the only negative is that the lid for the box simply rests on top.  I'm currently trying to come up with different ways to secure it for travel.

Haggler

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 06:00:08 am »

Hi. These links no longer works. And it sounds like a good way to store stuff. If anyone still uses this solution, could you plese post a picture of it with links to order the stuff needed?

Thanks

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:24 am »

If you're looking for ideas for a storage solution, you can check out mine (there's a link below in my signature) which uses a box that several other people use.

I'd be interested to know a little more about the card stock that was used for the dividers here. If there's one thing I don't like about my box, it's the dividers.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:19:42 pm »

I use 3 ring binders with card inserts.  This is a very cheap and easy solution.  It's very light and compact, but the main drawback is that if you turn them upside down they all fall out!  the sleeves aren't designed to hold 10 cards each!  Maybe if I had better sleeves this wouldn't happen. 

I have the treasures and victory cards in MtG style plastic box.  They don't fit all that well, but I had the box lying around, and it works.  I don't really know what to do with my randomizer cards.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 06:23:25 pm »

I currently have 6 sets (4 large, 2 small). I sleeved them all with the Mayday sleeves (which, it turns out, make shuffling a bit of a pain, but I heard they get better after a while).

I actually use the boxes for storage - what I did was take out the black insets that the card go in, and laid down a piece of cardboard, and glued/nailed a couple of pieces of cardboard upright for dividers. I used cardstock to divide the sets of cards themselves. (They stick out over the top of the box, but they are sturdy enough and there are enough of them that putting the lid on isn't an issue).

I didn't really know how much space this would take up, so I did one large box and one small box. I am able to fit all my cards in the large box, and I keep the mats and the tokens in the small box. If I ever get the other 3 expansions I don't have, I can put them in the small box.

I don't know how good of a long-term solution this is, but if either of the boxes wear out I kept the others and can replace them. Since I mostly did this for ease of choosing cards while at home, as I rarely take the game with me anywhere, it seems to work so far.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:32 am »

I use 3 ring binders with card inserts.  This is a very cheap and easy solution.  It's very light and compact, but the main drawback is that if you turn them upside down they all fall out! 

In my experience this happens all the time!

cookit

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »
+1

Hi, I recently became obsessed with the world of Dominion, bought all the sets, and found myself with the same storage issue as everyone else!  Thanks to these forums, though, I was able to put together a nice solution.  So just wanted to give credit to all the folks who had great ideas, say what a great community you have here - and give hope for anyone else  --- this took time, but was quite easy and totally worth it.   I'm in the US, so I understand folks elsewhere might not be able to get these same things.

Materials:
- all expansions & promos
- the hobby lobby case (I didn't know about the politics of hobby lobby until too late, so I am kind of disappointed in that.  So, mixed feelings.  Good product, not good company)
- stiff, pre-glued felt from Michael's.   Thought this provided a touch of class  :)
- Also from Michael's, a pack of plastic jar containers (they are small paint containers actually) for tokens
- set of wooden dividers from ebay.  (search for dominion dividers).   Provides 6 rows of vertical cards.  Placed with a touch of hot glue.
- mayday penny sleeves.  32 packs of 100.   (straight from mayday; I've read about issues, but I lucked out on good quality)
- sumpfork divider generator script.  Loved these! Sleeved, vertical, all sets, printed on home inkjet on 65lb cardstock.   I think over time the dividers will take a beating, but for now they're holding up.  I debated laminating, but in the end i think this would have caused too much thickness.   The fit i have now is perfect.
- recommended-sets cards (an Excel file on BGG by salovaara)

Notes:
- holds all sets in penny sleeves, including sleeved randomizers, cards for recommended sets, all tokens and mats, and blanks
- the sleeves can make it tricky to pull out card sets (slippery!), but there's enough slack in most columns to dig fingers in
- can be carried by the handle, but i wouldn't do it for long
- the most labor-intensive part was cutting the card dividers
- I've already turned it upside down once by accident & all was well.   The biggest issue is I've placed some wooden dividers across the rows (they were provided in the set) to separate the expansions.   Some of these slip easily --- I just need to glue them i think
- the internal height of the box is perfect for cards... but not for much else.  i would have liked to fit in the instructions (or the great Complete Dominion Companion from BGG), but alas there's only about enough clearance for 3-4 instruction pamphlets.  I might try to bolt something on to the outside of the case for this.

Thanks again!

Sorry, skydrive image; doesn't allow direct embedding:
http://sdrv.ms/1frOTG2

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »

Here's the image:

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

cookit

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »

Here's the image:

Thank you sudgy.  (I wasn't sure how permanent the direct image url is from skydrive... but seems to work... at least for now)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »

Impressive! Let me know how those dividers hold up, I'd like to change the dividers in my solution  :)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:08 am »

I use 3 ring binders with card inserts.  This is a very cheap and easy solution.  It's very light and compact, but the main drawback is that if you turn them upside down they all fall out! 

I have to be pretty careful in how I transport them, but I've never had them all fall out.  I've had just a few annoying incidents in the ~ten months I've been transporting them tis way, and they do get to travel a fair bit. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:17 am »

I have to be pretty careful in how I transport them, but I've never had them all fall out.  I've had just a few annoying incidents in the ~ten months I've been transporting them tis way, and they do get to travel a fair bit. 

It might not be so bad if you're used to it.  One of my friends had their cards sleeved this way, and when I was looking for cards I tended to turn the pages a little too enthusiastically, spraying cards on whoever is front of me.  I'm sure things improve if you're more careful. :)

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:53 pm »

for reference, i put my cards in my backpack and walked about 15 minutes last night.  when I opend up the backpack, about 10 cards from two different piles were fallen out.

So there is no doubt that my solution is a very low rent and finicky one.  Its main advantages are: all materials easily accessible (Staples) with an absolute minimum of effort to put them together, probably the cheapest option available, very compact and easy to fit on a shelf.  Disadvantages: cards tend to fly all over the place unless you're hyper-vigilant.

Mr.Oatmeal

• Steward
  • ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:36 pm »
+6

Here is my setup. I created some balsa wood trays for the main supply cards for quick set up and used the slipcases from hgzwopjp on bgg found here. Everything except for the extra base supply cards (which I don't usually take with me anyway) fits in two standard dominion boxes - including all promos, mats, tokens and even a set of 12 sleeves blanks for trying out variants. I created all of the dividers between the rows and such with cereal boxes.
If anyone wants more details. Let me know. I've had a blast doing this, and am very pleased with the result.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:04:00 pm by Mr.Oatmeal »

Haggler

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:33 pm »
+4

Sorry for reviving this thread and then not replying, but I decided to go for a local solution, since we don't have Hobby Lobby here in Norway.

My story: In may, me and my girlfriend broke up, and she was the one left with all the dominion-stuff. I sort of figured since it is by far the game i have played most, that I maybe could move on to other stuff, instead of doing the whole huge investment of buying everything back. I was of course very wrong, I don't think I'll ever tired of this awesome game. So, first, I ordered everything there is and premium sleeves from Mayday games. While waiting for everything to arrive I borrowed a sleeved copper from my X, and went to my local Clas Ohlson (a scandinavian hardware/gadget store) to look for solutions. I found some candidates:

I went for the last one, despite there being basically no room for dividers. The perfect fit and the small compartments for tokens was just to sexy. So I bought two of them.

This was a fun day at the post office, and I hadn't even tried Guilds before:

So, this is what I ended up with. It fits everything you need for four players in premium sleeves, except the rules. No shufflers. I considered trying to squeeze in stuff for six players, but its already quite tight. It might get better once i play the air out of the sleeves some. I'm also considering making nicer dividers, but those would also be thicker. We'll see.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »

win!  total win!  this looks really easy to trasnport and store.  I'm unclear on how you can tell what cards are where?

Haggler

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:01 pm »
+2

Thanks! Yeah, it's really convenient, and they are really sturdy too! If you look closely, you might be able to see little sheets of papers in between the cards, labelled with blue pen on the top in the middle.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:56 pm »

gotcha.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 02:04:03 pm »

This looks great. Could you post the company/model of the boxes? I'd like to get one, but we don't have "Clas Ohlson" in Germany...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 20 queries.