Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Early resigns--anyone else experiencing this?  (Read 2249 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Early resigns--anyone else experiencing this?
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:09 pm »
+2

I'm not talking here about resigning when there's no chance of coming back, or even when there's a <10% chance of coming back.  Lately I've had a lot of:

Resign upon seeing the board
Resign after three turns
Resigning while obviously in the lead

And they never say anything, either.  Not "I need to leave" or anything, just resign and gone.

Is anyone else seeing this a lot on ShIT?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Early resigns--anyone else experiencing this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:34 am »

I wouldn't say I've seen this a LOT, but the few cases I have seen are probably due to the resigning player seeing a card they hate and then not wanting to play.

Like I just matched up with the same person 2x in a row. Game 1 had Wall, and he immediately said that he hated that card. Then game 2 also had Wall, and he just resigned immediately.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:28 am »

I had an opponent resign after I got three Witches in my first 5 or so turns. Kind of demoralizing I suppose, but not something you can't come back from. I don't remember the rest of the board, but I don't think there was trashing.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:16:44 am »
+5

The other day I opened Baker/Silver and my opponent opened Soothsayer/Enchantress.

I hit $5 on T3 and he didn't hit it on T3 or T4.

This did not surprise me as he'd opened two terminal stop cards that don't give coin.

He said something like "can't play against shuffle 1 luck like that" and resigned.

I guess he resigns a lot.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »
+1

The other day I opened Baker/Silver and my opponent opened Soothsayer/Enchantress.

I hit $5 on T3 and he didn't hit it on T3 or T4.

This did not surprise me as he'd opened two terminal stop cards that don't give coin.

He said something like "can't play against shuffle 1 luck like that" and resigned.

I guess he resigns a lot.

Lol.  People like this make me laugh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »
+1

Today, someone resigned against me on turn 4 immediately after denying my undo request (for playing a Copper that I wanted to Save instead).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:17 pm »

Yes

My best guess is that people see cards they don't like playing with and/or don't recognize. Maybe in the case of giving it a few turns, they're seeing if you will ignore the cards? I have no idea though honestly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:50:42 pm by Dingan »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:07 am »

I'm doing a lot of it. If I get a random kingdom I don't want to play, I resign. I've been doing that for a while and recently I'm starting to see opponents do it too. Once I start the game, I try to only resign if I'm far behind.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 04:53:37 pm »
+3

Yes, all the time people are resigning against me almost immediately, before the first move. I often allow players with any low rating for automatch, and maybe these are beginners. If I have time to react before they disappear I ask "why?" when they resign. One of them answered: "i had diff cards selected.. don't know why it signs me up for this one".

I would love if whatever is confusing for them is made less so so that they don't enter automatch with settings they are not comfortable with. I often have to meet two or three of them before I get a real opponent, which is somewhat irritating. I never meet them twice, because I use the flash on them afterwards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.