Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What are the new mechanics in Nocturne?  (Read 3246 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
What are the new mechanics in Nocturne?
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:35 am »

Just realized today that there's new Dominion!  I saw Night in one of the previews, but was hoping to avoid having to comb through the rest for info.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: What are the new mechanics in Nocturne?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
+2

You have Boons and Hexes, which are basically Chance cards that give you small bonuses and decently strong attacks, respectively. A bunch of different kingdom cards hand them to you or your opponent.

Then there are Heirlooms, which are replacements to your starting Coppers. A kingdom card with an Heirloom always gives you that one Heirloom, and if the kingdom has more than one card with an Heirloom, you get all of them.

Also there's a card which turns cards in the trash face down.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:15:35 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:05 am »

Also, States: cards which you are temporarily given which sit in front of you and affect your play (positively or negatively) while you are in that State.

Necromancer, as well as (temporarily) turning cards face-down in the trash, also means the game starts with three different Zombies in the trash, which is kinda neat.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:10:42 pm »

I've grown to really love the Night mechanics. They're basically action cards that are played like treasures, meaning you can play as many as you want per turn and they can't be drawn dead. The Night phase happens after the Buy phase, and depending on the setup, you can assemble a nighttime engine that draws your deck, gains cards, attacks opponents, trashes junk, and sets you up for a strong next turn.

At first I thought the new phase was too much, but that's just because it was so new to me and everyone I was playing with. Now that I've gotten used to it, it feels elegant and natural.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:47:02 am »
+2

The Night phase happens after the Buy phase, and depending on the setup, you can assemble a nighttime engine that draws your deck, gains cards, attacks opponents, trashes junk, and sets you up for a strong next turn.

Building a nighttime engine is not feasible. I tried to do this on the only possible straight Night board, with 10/13 Night cards in the game. I excluded Devil's Workshop and Exorcist because they can gain Action cards outside of the supply, and Werewolf because it's also an Action card itself. So the kingdom is: Guardian, Monastery, Changeling, Ghost Town, Night Watchman, Cobbler, Crypt, Den of Sin, Vampire, Raider.

There main problem is that there's no +Buy in the nighttime (obviously), so you're stuck with single-Province engines. You do have gainers in Cobbler and Vampire but it's not enough. The draw is a bit on the weak side as well, with only the +2 cards of Den of Sin, and you pretty much need Gold and Silver for payload. In the end I lost 39-24 to Lord Rattington, pretty much disproving the feasibility of a nighttime engine.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:17:03 pm »

The Night phase happens after the Buy phase, and depending on the setup, you can assemble a nighttime engine that draws your deck, gains cards, attacks opponents, trashes junk, and sets you up for a strong next turn.
Building a nighttime engine is not feasible. I tried to do this on the only possible straight Night board, with 10/13 Night cards in the game. I excluded Devil's Workshop and Exorcist because they can gain Action cards outside of the supply, and Werewolf because it's also an Action card itself. So the kingdom is: Guardian, Monastery, Changeling, Ghost Town, Night Watchman, Cobbler, Crypt, Den of Sin, Vampire, Raider.

There main problem is that there's no +Buy in the nighttime (obviously), so you're stuck with single-Province engines. You do have gainers in Cobbler and Vampire but it's not enough. The draw is a bit on the weak side as well, with only the +2 cards of Den of Sin, and you pretty much need Gold and Silver for payload. In the end I lost 39-24 to Lord Rattington, pretty much disproving the feasibility of a nighttime engine.

Den of Sin + Vampire is like a mini-engine unto itself and Changeling gains cards too. Den of Sin only draws 2 cards, but the fact that they can't be drawn dead and are gained to your hand makes them easy to stack, especially when you're playing Vampire every other turn. I played a setup with those three cards and Platinum/Colony and didn't need much additional support.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 04:49:46 am »

Den of Sin + Vampire is like a mini-engine unto itself and Changeling gains cards too. Den of Sin only draws 2 cards, but the fact that they can't be drawn dead and are gained to your hand makes them easy to stack, especially when you're playing Vampire every other turn. I played a setup with those three cards and Platinum/Colony and didn't need much additional support.

I guess Colony could make matters slightly different, but Colony games get increasingly rare every time a new expansion is released.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.