Dominion > Rules Questions

Inheritance and Nomad Camp

(1/7) > >>

singletee:
I played an online game recently where I Inherited Nomad Camp and then used Ironworks to gain Estates. I was expecting the gained Estate to be topdecked (and then immediately drawn), but instead it went to my discard pile. I know that when-buy and when-gain abilities of Inherited cards apply when buying/gaining Estates, but Nomad Camp doesn't quite have those, instead having an alternate gain location. So I have a question about two scenarios:

If I buy and subsequently gain an Estate Inheriting Nomad Camp, where does it go?

If I gain an Estate Inheriting Nomad Camp without buying it, where does it go?

Dominionaer:
You buy and gain only standard Estates. The Estates gain the abilities of the Action card (your Nomad Camp) when they are in your deck.

AJD:
That's not quite true. An Estate becomes "yours" when you buy it, so if you buy it, then by the time you gain it it has definitely already inherited Nomad Camp's ability and goes to your deck.

I'm not sure how the timing works out with non-buy gains.

Dominionaer:
Sorry, i concede i stated wrong. Should have checked before post.

But then should also the non-buy gains be topdecked.

Jeebus:
I think this is a new question!

The timing of Nomad Camp has been discussed many times, unofficially. The conclusion has always been that it has to be timed as when-would-gain, or it can't change the gaining destination. The current official ruling about interactions between Nomad Camp and cards like Transmogrify also makes this unproblematic. So it seems to be: When you would gain a Nomad Camp, it first changes the gaining destination from your discard pile to your deck. (If you Transmogrify into a Nomad Camp, the gaining destination is not your discard pile, so Nomad Camp can't change it, so it goes to your hand.)

Accordingly, gaining Estate Inheriting Nomad Camp (without buying it), should not top-deck the Estate: It's not yours yet when when-would-gain triggers. But if you buy it, it's yours before when-would-gain triggers, so it should be top-decked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version