Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A rock-paper-scissors board?  (Read 1437 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
A rock-paper-scissors board?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »

Here is an interesting board:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/24/game-20120224-175545-c4faa9c1.html

Cards: Chancellor, Courtyard, Crossroads, Ill-Gotten Gains, Jack of All Trades, Masquerade, Quarry, Secret Chamber, Trade Route, and Trading Post

Is this maybe a rock-paper-scissors board? The three strategies which stand out to me are BM+Courtyard, BM+Masquerade, and Jack+IGG (which is usually better than doublejack). I believe that BM+Courtyard should beat BM+Masquerade, which should beat both IGG and Jack+IGG, and any sort of IGG approach should beat BM+Courtyard.

I did some rough sims with 4/3 starts. For Masquerade and Courtyard, I used the included bots, and for Jack/IGG, I took WW's bot and modified it to buy two jacks.

The results were that Masquerade beats Jack/IGG about 56/41, Jack/IGG beats Courtyard about 88/10, and Courtyard beats Masquerade about 55/40.

What do you think, and how would you play this board? My opponent and I were both a little lost. He went for Jack -> Courtyard -> IGG -> Masquerade, while I went DoubleJack -> IGG -> Masquerade, not bothering picking up the Courtyard. It ended up close but I doubt either of us were playing anywhere near optimally.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: A rock-paper-scissors board?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »

Just a guess, but maybe start Masquerade/Silver? That way, your opponent has to try Courtyard/Big Money if he wants to beat you, and if he does, you could start buying IGGs to mess with him. Very interesting situation.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:22:35 am »

I'm not sure that it is a true paper/scissors/stone scenario since you can mix and match your strategy or add extra components later.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:54 pm »

I'm not sure that it is a true paper/scissors/stone scenario since you can mix and match your strategy or add extra components later.

Maybe, but adding more terminals increases the risk of terminal collision.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »

My JOAT so underperformed in that game it was criminal... If I played this again I think I would opt for Masq/Courtyard, and ignore the IGG--especially if my opponent had a Masq as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:39:20 pm by tlloyd »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.