Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sasha's Cards (2018 revision)  (Read 2774 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Sasha's Cards (2018 revision)
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:40 am »
+2

Revisiting my cards from past years. Haven't had the time to make these into images myself, and only 2 already had them (set-design contest cards). Hoping that as I've gotten to be a better player (currently level 55 on dominion.online) my cards have also improved.Let me know what you think! Cards will have a score /10, but this is to indicate how much testing they have gotten, not how strong they are.

Panacea - Action - $3+P
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card;
OR +1 Buy, +$1;
OR trash a card from your hand.

This was the only Potion-costing card I've designed that's ever survived. As the name implies, it's a cure-all. The card fits in every deck, which alone is pretty boring, but it's mainly for the purpose of giving a board that has difficult engine potential a strong fixer. Trash early, Lab midgame, Market when you start to cash out. 10/10 playtesting, this card is locked in.

Missionary - Action/Reaction - $2
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
-
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

Yes, this is supposed to say "would gain". This is to make its interactions as understandable as possible (on-gain effects don't happen if you replace the card using missionary, because you never gained the card, you only would have gained it. Unlike the stupid Skulk/Changeling interaction on Dominion online). Anyways, this card feels pretty nice. It's a worse chapel that isn't nearly as dead as chapel later in the game. You can also use it as a pseudo-moat against some cursers/junkers, or a way to smooth out your trash-for-benefits/gainers. 7/10, seems like the final version, but hasn't been played enough to see if it's fun.

Merchant Village - Action/Reaction - $4
+1 Card
+2 Actions
-
When any player gains a victory, you may set this aside. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand. At the start of your next turn, return this to your hand.

Originally named "Abandoned Village", the name changed to be more thematic. It seems counterintuitive, since villages are usually engine parts, and you don't want too much treasure cluttering yours up. Typically, you want to use this reaction waaay later in the game. It says ANY player, so if you draw it dead, you can use the reaction to get a sweet setup for next turn. It's a Horse Traders+Village baby was had in the Hinterlands. 6/10, the reaction wording and conditions may change slightly, but it overall feels like a good $4 Village.

Assassin - Action/Attack - $5
+$2
You may put your deck into your discard pile.
Each other player gains a curse.

Simple formula of "$2-3 cost terminal effect + cursing attack = $5 cost" works here. Chancellor was slightly weak at $3, but this works a little bit better in that you get a higher reward for cycling your deck often because the card itself is also a payoff for constantly reshuffling. Cursing attacks can make for some painful games though, but it seems like the "power" creep of trashing is keeping them in check, so I'm not too worried about this card being unfun (Mountebank is the king there). 6/10, this is probably the final iteration, but it's hard to get people to test with cursers.

Bath House - Action - $4
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash 1 or 3 cards from your hand.

One of the first cards I designed. I wanted to make a $4 cost trasher, and a nonterminal trasher, but I felt like a cantrip trasher would be uninteresting without something else (Panacea), so I combined the two ideas and this card hasn't changed at all. The "1 or 3" condition is something I'm rather proud of, since it tends to matter a reasonable amount of the time, and is honestly just rather fun to play with. 8/10, probably locked in besides maybe the name.

Prospector - $5
Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: +$2;
OR Draw up to 5 cards in hand.

Draw up to X was something I was trying to solve for a while, and I seem to really like trashing and choices. I feel like those both add another amount of skill to Dominion as opposed to just draw luck. This card is a very powerful engine piece, but on par with other $5 cost cards. Individually, its two modes are slightly weaker, but in combination with other cards, and the fact that it gives you a choice, this card feels very correctly costed. 7/10.

Castle Archer - $4
+1 Buy
+$1
You may discard a card. If you do, draw 2 cards. If the discarded card was a Treasure, +1 (vp)

The current iteration of "Archer" from my first few versions. Originally it was draw 2 discard 1 with no (vp) bonus. The draw was moved to be after an optional discard, but the card felt too weak for $4 and too strong for $3. The (vp) clause rewards you for discarding treasure (basically, if you discard copper it negates the +$1, and that otherwise felt pretty terrible). It's worth noting that this doesn't increase your hand size at all, so engine-ing with this requires a bit of finesse. 2/10, current version is mostly untested.

Collector - $3
+1 Buy
+$1
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it does not share a type with any other card revealed this way, set it aside and repeat this process. Otherwise, discard it.
Put the set aside cards into your hand.

First new card here, this was my attempt at a Cornucopia-style card. It's worth noting that with night cards, it can potentially draw up to 5 cards (I believe, unless you count weird things like Hovel). 1/10, untested.

Gambler - $3
+3 Cards
+$1
-
When you discard this from play, take 2(debt), then you may pay off (debt).

Wanted to make a card called Gambler without actually making rng any worse. This is my first attempt at a solution. 2/10.

Fact or Fiction - $4
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left separates those cards into 2 piles. Put one pile into your hand and discard the rest.
You may trash this. If you do, +2 Actions.

These last few cards are just ports of MtG cards. I added the little clause at the end to make it feel less weak, however it could be completely unnecessary. 1/10.

Brainstorm - $4
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck.

Just like the MtG version, the first one is extremely strong, the next ones give you way less to work with (unless you shuffle). Does not increase hand size. 1/10.

I'm open to hear any suggestions! Does a card need better wording, or does it just suck?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:36:59 am by Graystripe77 »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Sasha's Cards (2018 revision)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:47 pm »

Fact or Fiction - $4
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left separates those cards into 2 piles. Put one pile into your hand and discard the rest.
You may trash this. If you do, +2 Actions.

This looks interesting, but it will pretty much always be worse than Smithy at the current price. I think it's balanced if you make it $3 and drop the on-trash.

Diabolic Tutor - $4
+1 Action
Look through your deck, and put one card from it into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

This would probably be better if it made you put your deck into your discard pile, then look through it for a card. That's the way Scavenger handles it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:52 pm »

Note that Missionary's reaction is very similar to it being a Copper. Which means that it is actually almost as dead as Chapel in the late-game; at least you would really want to also trash it if you could. It does have some neat interactions with gainers that Copper doesn't; but the majority of the time it's just a Copper.

Comparing Panacea to Alchemist makes it look really strong. It costs less the same, and does so much more.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:06:29 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:30:47 pm »

Comparing Panacea to Alchemist makes it look really strong. It costs less, and does so much more.
Panacea provides flexibility but Alchemist provides consistency.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 03:46:44 pm »

Comparing Panacea to Alchemist makes it look really strong. It costs less, and does so much more.

Sure, but cantrip trashing to remove most of the Junk cards from your deck (including the Potion itself, which you have to keep with Alchemist), also provides consistency. Even if they cost the same, I really can't imagine a board where I would buy any Alchemists if Panacea were available.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 03:47:07 pm »
+1

...Also it doesn't cost less?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:56:09 pm »

Sure, but cantrip trashing to remove most of the Junk cards from your deck (including the Potion itself, which you have to keep with Alchemist), also provides consistency. Even if they cost the same, I really can't imagine a board where I would buy any Alchemists if Panacea were available.
5 Panaceas in your deck do not guarantee that you draw 10 cards each turn whereas 5 Alchemists in your hand do (sure, you are totally right that it is only 9 as you have to count the Potion). Shuffle luck matters and Alchemists eliminates that risk which is why I don't think that Alchemist is that much weaker, except for multiplayer games where it is harder to grab a lot of them.
What I would agree on though is that Panacea is very good in virtually all Kingdoms but that's often a feature of flexible choice cards.

I also don't see why you would want to trash the Potion with Panacea. If you are still building up you want those Labs/Markets and if you start to green you might as well just draw a card. So a situation in which you buy 2 Potions to quicker build up your one-card engine seems more likely to me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:06:43 pm »

...Also it doesn't cost less?

Dunno why I was thinking Alchemist was .

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:48 pm »

Note that Missionary's reaction is very similar to it being a Copper. Which means that it is actually almost as dead as Chapel in the late-game; at least you would really want to also trash it if you could. It does have some neat interactions with gainers that Copper doesn't; but the majority of the time it's just a Copper.

Comparing Panacea to Alchemist makes it look really strong. It costs less the same, and does so much more.

I can agree here, the reaction part may look/be a little lackluster. I still generally want to keep the concept the same though, but I feel bumping the reaction to a Silver's worth of benefit is too much for a $2 card.

Panacea and Alchemist are the obvious comparison to make, since one of Panacea's modes is Alchemist without the topdeck. I feel like the topdeck has added better chaining consistency than the trashing in most engines, but I should test this in particularly kingdoms where both are available. If it ends up being the case that panacea is almost strictly better, the Laboratory mode may be tweaked.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 05:43:34 pm »

I can agree here, the reaction part may look/be a little lackluster. I still generally want to keep the concept the same though, but I feel bumping the reaction to a Silver's worth of benefit is too much for a $2 card.

No question there; it would become just about strictly better than Silver if it gave +.

Panacea and Alchemist are the obvious comparison to make, since one of Panacea's modes is Alchemist without the topdeck. I feel like the topdeck has added better chaining consistency than the trashing in most engines, but I should test this in particularly kingdoms where both are available. If it ends up being the case that panacea is almost strictly better, the Laboratory mode may be tweaked.

Give how good cantrip trashing is; it might even be balanced with just removing the Lab option completely. Although admittedly cantrip trashing gets weaker when you can't buy it first shuffle. But trashing first and Market later still sounds pretty strong. Maybe cost it 2 if you end up doing that; so that it doesn't have the swingy Familiar issue.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:44 pm »
+1

Comparing anything to Alchemist makes it look really strong #Alchemistinks

Panacea is clearly better than Alchemist but I don't think it's too much better. You probably get both if they're in the same kingdom and that's the only time it really matters.

I think Changeling timing is less confusing than Trader, like why can I buy Mint and Trade it for a Silver and still trash my treasures but I can't buy a Border Village and Trade it? (and still gain)

Merchant Village: Seems reasonable, maybe too similar to Mining Village as a village that gives +$2 later in the game? It's fine though.

Assassin: I like Chancellor, it's interesting on a cursing attack because you want to play it as much as possible but you don't want to shuffle incoming curses in sooner. Assassin sounds like more of a trashing attack than a curing attack though.

Bath House: This sounds like it could have art more outrageous than Baths, or possibly even Vampire! It looks like a broken Forager to me? I don't think a non-terminal 3 card trasher can reasonably cost less than $5, this even gives some money back and a buy! It seems pretty clearly more powerful than Remake to me.

Prospector: This seems reasonable to me, at first I thought it was under powered but then I realised I was comparing it to Masquerade, everything looks under powered next to Masq! I think this is on the weaker side of things but I like that.

Castle Archer: No combo with Castles boo! I'd worry about infinite vp with this, it's terminal so it probably won't be a huge problem but it doesn't lower your handsize so it looks easier to do with this than with Monument. It looks deece apart from that though.

Collector: +$1 +1buy seem like odd bonuses to go on this, wouldn't +1 Action make sense because you want to play the action you reveal? It would have to cost more then of course. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Gambler: I think a cheap draw card that gives debt could be cool, not sure whether it should give +$1 though, seems a little strange to me to do that. I think Asper has a cheap Lab that gives 1 Debt? He's probably tested this kind of thing. It does make sense to me to give you the Debt when you discard it instead of when you play it because then you can actually benefit from the draw.

Fact or Fiction: Great magic card, but Dominion has Envoy already which is very similar.

Diabolic Tutor: Seems pretty clearly too good to me, like compare it to Sage. It also doesn't look particularly fun.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:04 pm »
+1

I really like the comparison here of Bath House to Forager. Perhaps it is a bit strong. Would moving the +$1 to being a choice that competes with the trashing effect work? "Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; trash 3 cards from your hand, or +$1"

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 10:29:50 am »

I really like the comparison here of Bath House to Forager. Perhaps it is a bit strong. Would moving the +$1 to being a choice that competes with the trashing effect work? "Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; trash 3 cards from your hand, or +$1"

I feel like that would actually make the card stronger, strangely. Because now once you're done trashing this just becomes a non-Coin token Candlestick Maker where as before if you wanted the +buy you had to still trash a card. I feel like this really needs to lose the +1 action to begin to be reasonable, even if it's terminal it still looks much better than Temple for instance.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.