Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Mechanic: Use Tokens  (Read 1139 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
New Mechanic: Use Tokens
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:14 pm »

So my Dominion: Decadence expansion was a flop, mostly because the idea of a +3 Cards, +1 Action Spoils had already been done, and my idea of adding them to your deck whenever you want and then trashing them after play wasn't enough to make it interesting.

So, I've come up with an idea that I think is more original: Use Tokens. The basic idea is that you get a Use Token when you discard a card from play. This allows the following card concepts:

Compatriot
Action - $4
+2 Cards
You may pay a Use Token to return this to your hand.
When you discard this from play, take a Use Token.

Terminal draw you can play multiple times per turn - if you have the actions for it.

Commercial Hub
Action - $4
+1 Action per Use Token you have.
During cleanup, you may put this on your deck. When you discard this from play, take a Use Token.

If you have a lot of Tokens, you can top deck this and then start your next turn with a whole bunch of actions. However, you DON'T get another Token if you top deck it - but discarding it is a gamble, since no matter how many actions it gives, it won't be useful if it's on the bottom of your deck.

I'll think of some more ideas later. For now, what do you think of this idea and these cards?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: New Mechanic: Use Tokens
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:56 pm »
+1

The idea of using single-use tokens to make a card better is the core mechanic of LastFootnote's Enterprise set.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2114.0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:07 pm »

The idea of using single-use tokens to make a card better is the core mechanic of LastFootnote's Enterprise set.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2114.0

Yes, I had already seen that thread. This is different because you keep getting new tokens when you discard cards from play. Different enough to be interesting? Currently, I think it is, but I'll consider it some more.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:02 am »

I like the idea but I think that both cards should cost $2 or $3.
Compatriot will of course be bought if there is no better terminal draw but I don't think it can compete with Smithy.
It is also weaker than Asper's Town/Road.

The problem of Commercial Hub is that you have to build it up before you can topdeck it and even then it is just a Mega-Necropolis every turn. Building an engine with villages that don't draw is of course possible but Squire, Fishing Village, Villa, Conclave and Festival also provide coins.
I don't think a hypothetical card that said "+100 Actions" would be better than $4. You'd rather have a higher density of villages that draw than a few disappearing villages that provide a lot of Actions.

Tarecky

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tarecky
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:21 am »

I think Commercial Hub could also draw 1 card and even then it could cost 3$. It might be superior to Village
in the late game, but the effort needed in the early game to make it grow will balance it, you'll probably
have to play it once for just 1 card early on and once for +1 card, +1 action, so it's rather a burden in
the early game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.