Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Turbo-Treasure-Map Combo: Plan+Engineer  (Read 2418 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Turbo-Treasure-Map Combo: Plan+Engineer
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:36 am »
+1

Open Plan, naming Engineer.
Buy Engineers, trashing coppers and estates.
Trash Engineers when you play them for 2x Treasure Maps.

This combo is super smooth because you can put 6x Treasure Maps in your deck by the third shuffle, and Engineer allows you to have really smooth early buys, While Plan simply enables incredible consistency to land the Treasure Maps together.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo-Treasure-Map Combo: Plan+Engineer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:54:47 pm »

I can't think of many cases where I would want 6 activated treasure maps...

But it might be a nice start to get Two TMs that give you trash+economy and then let you transition into something else...

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:13:02 pm »

The main problem with a TM rush is that the Treasure Maps actively antisynergize - each time you activate a pair you make the next pair much harder to connect. You could do this sort of thing with two or three or four TM’s for an okay BM strategy on a board with just nothing else going on, but you’ll have trouble on a lot of real boards with better Plan targets.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:28:48 pm »

The main problem with TM is that there are better things to do with your turn than playing a bunch of Golds.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:38:40 pm »

The main problem with a TM rush is that the Treasure Maps actively antisynergize - each time you activate a pair you make the next pair much harder to connect. You could do this sort of thing with two or three or four TM’s for an okay BM strategy on a board with just nothing else going on, but you’ll have trouble on a lot of real boards with better Plan targets.

Realistically, you only care about connect once or twice, then you can trash the rest as you draw them. The point is that it makes getting the first activation extremely fast, and gives good odds on a second activation as well. 8 Golds straight into buying Provinces can end the game very fast, especially when Plan has thinned the Coppers and Estates from your deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:19:52 pm »

Realistically, you only care about connect once or twice, then you can trash the rest as you draw them. The point is that it makes getting the first activation extremely fast, and gives good odds on a second activation as well. 8 Golds straight into buying Provinces can end the game very fast, especially when Plan has thinned the Coppers and Estates from your deck.

What’s a best case?
T1 Plan
T2 Treasure Map (remember, only 5/12 odds you can even do this)
(Shuffle)
T3 TM
T4 TM
(Shuffle)
T5 Collide, Buy Silver I guess
T6 Province???
(Shuffle)

You now have a 13 card deck with 4 Golds, 1 TM, 1 Province, 7 Copper. Basically if you miss Province you, Buy one more treasure map and hope for a T9 or T10 collision? Let’s say you get one more Province one more Tmap, and T9 you get the collision, which is super low odds. Then you can potentially get Province 5 at T12-13.

That’s... comparable to the average case for Gear BM, for the absolute best case here. Leaves a bit to be desired?

bug me on discord

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 07:23:10 pm »
+1

But... Plan doesn't thin your deck. The only way to trash a card is to buy a card.

I can see the usefulness of getting an early Treasure Map collision. But if the best way to trash a starting Copper is to buy an Engineer, shuffle, play the Engineer for two Treasure Maps, shuffle, then play those two Treasure Maps for no benefit, I think it's time to consider the possibility that it's better to put up with the copper in your deck. Especially as the Treasure Maps will run out half-way through trashing your starting deck.

Come to think of it, surely it would be better to skip the Engineer step and put Plan directly on Treasure Map?

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:55 pm »

What’s a best case?
T1 Plan
(Shuffle)
T3 TM
T4 TM
(Shuffle)
T6 Province???
(Shuffle)

You now have a 13 card deck with 4 Golds, 1 TM, 1 Province, 7 Copper. Basically if you miss Province you, Buy one more treasure map and hope for a T9 or T10 collision? Let’s say you get one more Province one more Tmap, and T9 you get the collision, which is super low odds. Then you can potentially get Province 5 at T12-13.

That’s... comparable to the average case for Gear BM, for the absolute best case here. Leaves a bit to be desired?

You don't buy Treasure Map... the whole point of the combo is using Engineer.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »

What’s a best case?
T1 Plan
(Shuffle)
T3 TM
T4 TM
(Shuffle)
T6 Province???
(Shuffle)

You don't buy Treasure Map... the whole point of the combo is using Engineer.

Sorry - I swear I knew that when I first posted, but when I came back to the thread to write the second response I must have forgotten. Long day.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.