Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Favorite Expansions in 2018  (Read 37543 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Expansions in 2018
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:11 am »
+1

So, as an honest suggestion, maybe we should actually have a dedicated semantics subforum or sticky thread? I am all but against discussions like this, but I feel they are often very distracting to those of us who want to talk about the original topic of a thread. If we had an environment where somebody can say "Created a thread for this, let's talk about it here", it would probably benefit all parties.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:59 am »

If you're playing by the official rules, there is no way to have Colony/Platinum in the game unless you have at least 1 Prosperity card in the Kingdom.
Quote from: The official rules
Prosperity includes two new base cards, Platinum and Colony. You can include them whenever you want to; they are always used together. If you want to determine when to use them randomly, choose a random Kingdom card being used, and if it is from Prosperity, use Platinum and Colony.

Woah, is this an update to the second edition? Did Dark Ages make the same change with regards to Shelters?

*Edit* No, the new Dark Ages rulebook still has the old rule. Donald, why did you update the rule for Prosperity, but not for Dark Ages?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:08:25 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2018, 12:24:34 pm »

Firstly, Platinum and Colony are in the Base Cards set, so you don't need Dark Ages in order to play with them.

But secondly, that wording didn't surprise me, so I'm guessing it was also in first edition.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
+2

If you're playing by the official rules, there is no way to have Colony/Platinum in the game unless you have at least 1 Prosperity card in the Kingdom.
Prosperity includes two new base cards, Platinum and Colony. You can include them whenever you want to; they are always used together. If you want to determine when to use them randomly, choose a random Kingdom card being used, and if it is from Prosperity, use Platinum and Colony.

Woah, is this an update to the second edition? Did Dark Ages make the same change with regards to Shelters?

*Edit* No, the new Dark Ages rulebook still has the old rule. Donald, why did you update the rule for Prosperity, but not for Dark Ages?
The intention was to generate this question. Bam, success.

Any time there is a discrepancy, probably I would have preferred no discrepancy. Things happened at different times, something was thought of and something else missed, blah blah blah. There's never a story here and there isn't this time.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2018, 03:03:22 pm »
+9

The intention was to generate this question. Bam, success.

Any time there is a discrepancy, probably I would have preferred no discrepancy. Things happened at different times, something was thought of and something else missed, blah blah blah. There's never a story here and there isn't this time.

I think it's just a big money-grab; to force those like me who already own Prosperity First Edition to buy Second Edition; just so that we can start playing with Platinum/Colony in Kingdoms without Prosperity cards.  >:(
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2018, 09:52:02 pm »

Everyone seems to have their own ideas of what they love and hate about prosperity. For me the real reason why prosperity is practically the bottom of the barrel. Is because there’s not enough actions and too much treasures. I mean I played with a family member once and all they bought were treasures and victories, sure they won. But they hardly ever play it because it wasn’t any fun. The actions make it fun. And prosperity had about as much actions as alchemy did. The actions are what really make an expansion fun. Sure the events and landmarks have certainly added to the fun. But it’s not fun if there’s no actions involved. And another reason was because there was no actions costing $2. Sure I love most of the actions, even counting house (I like copper strategies). It just wasn’t enough action cards for my taste. I don’t like mint, forge, venture or loan, and I have mixed feeling with trade route. If he replaced the first 4 I mentioned and put in 7 new cards, as in adding 3 more. And made 5 of 7 of them actions. I’d probably like it more than guilds and intrigue and maybe even seaside. Then it would be worth re buying or at least the little pack that he did for the other 2. For 2nd edition of prosperity.

And yeah I’m not a big fan of the coffers for guilds. There’s no point in buying an expansion unless there are new cards involved.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:35 am »
+2

Prosperity has 17 Action cards in it.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2018, 04:03:18 am »
+1

I mean I played with a family member once and all they bought were treasures and victories, sure they won. But they hardly ever play it because it wasn’t any fun. The actions make it fun. And prosperity had about as much actions as alchemy did. The actions are what really make an expansion fun. Sure the events and landmarks have certainly added to the fun. But it’s not fun if there’s no actions involved.
Whether a Kingdom enables a Treasure- or Action-heavy strategy has little to do with how much Treasures there are in an expansion. It has more to do with the density of villages and non-terminals. Take, the first version of the base game, it has no Kingdom Treasure and yet it most heavily leans towards BM because it has so many terminals.

So if you take a look at Prosperity don't look at Platinum or all the Kingdom Treasures. Look at Grand Market, look at Goons, look at Kings Court. And if you look at the Kingdom Treasure, really look at them: Loans is best in a Treasure-less strategy and Quarry is only good if you go for Actions.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2018, 12:02:20 pm »

I mean I played with a family member once and all they bought were treasures and victories, sure they won. But they hardly ever play it because it wasn’t any fun. The actions make it fun. And prosperity had about as much actions as alchemy did. The actions are what really make an expansion fun. Sure the events and landmarks have certainly added to the fun. But it’s not fun if there’s no actions involved.
Whether a Kingdom enables a Treasure- or Action-heavy strategy has little to do with how much Treasures there are in an expansion. It has more to do with the density of villages and non-terminals. Take, the first version of the base game, it has no Kingdom Treasure and yet it most heavily leans towards BM because it has so many terminals.

So if you take a look at Prosperity don't look at Platinum or all the Kingdom Treasures. Look at Grand Market, look at Goons, look at Kings Court. And if you look at the Kingdom Treasure, really look at them: Loans is best in a Treasure-less strategy and Quarry is only good if you go for Actions.

This is pretty accurate^^^

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2018, 04:34:57 am »
+1

I mean I played with a family member once and all they bought were treasures and victories, sure they won. But they hardly ever play it because it wasn’t any fun. The actions make it fun.

Want to build an engine? If there's King's Court, there's a way.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2018, 06:59:10 am »
+2

I mean I played with a family member once and all they bought were treasures and victories, sure they won. But they hardly ever play it because it wasn’t any fun. The actions make it fun.

Challenge:
Kingdom is King's Court, Throne Room, Treasure Map, Vampire, Prince, Coin of the Realm, Duplicate, Quarry, Silk Road and Outpost.

(even this kingdom should have better strategies than just buying VP and Treasure, though)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:22 am »
+1

Challenge:
Kingdom is King's Court, Throne Room, Treasure Map, Vampire, Prince, Coin of the Realm, Duplicate, Quarry, Silk Road and Outpost.

(even this kingdom should have better strategies than just buying VP and Treasure, though)

You can make a kingdom from just Prosperity cards where it's useless: King's Court, Watchtower or Counting House, and all 8 kingdom treasures.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:55:24 am by Commodore Chuckles »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2018, 01:15:06 pm »
+2

Challenge:

You can make a kingdom from just Prosperity cards where it's useless: King's Court, Watchtower or Counting House, and all 8 kingdom treasures.

If you have both Watchtower and Counting House, 2 King's Courts will enable you to play both of them in the same turn to first increase your handsize and then pick up the Coppers...! ENGINE!!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2018, 01:29:54 pm »

Challenge:

Proverbs have exceptions.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.