Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Favorite Expansions in 2018  (Read 37521 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Expansions in 2018
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2018, 12:51:39 am »
+3

Empires I my fave due to Landmarks. They shake up the game in fun "think outside the box" ways.

Personally, I feel people forget just how good first-edition Base was. OK, so we've all played it into the ground by now, but that doesn't mean it's objectively become worse.

Don't forget that this is the only "expansion" that won the SdJ award.

Don't forget Stash ;)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:53:42 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »

I took people's responses here, ranking their favorite dominion expansions, and did some analysis on them. I included 11 people's responses, anyone who gave a ranking of their favorite 12 expansions, and the post seemed sincere (sorry alphabetical guy).  From these responses, the average ranking from best to worst was (with 1 being favorite and 12 being least favorite; so the average score is 6.5):

Tier 1 (1-4)

1.  2.68 Adventures (4.25 people rated this as favorite, [1 person ranked 4 as his favorite])

Tier 4 (10-12)

12 10.36 Alchemy (1 favorite; everyone else rated it 10-12th)

I guess I had better post my list since it might throw these results off somewhat. It's interesting how much my ranking this time around has changed from when I did this last year:

1- Empires
2- Intrigue 2nd ed.
3- Prosperity
4- Dark Ages
5- Guilds
6- Hinterlands
7- Alchemy
8- Adventures
9- Cornucopia
10- Dominion 2nd ed
11- Seaside

(I haven't played enough Nocturne to rank it)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 12:22:31 am »

I took people's responses here, ranking their favorite dominion expansions, and did some analysis on them. I included 11 people's responses, anyone who gave a ranking of their favorite 12 expansions, and the post seemed sincere (sorry alphabetical guy).  From these responses, the average ranking from best to worst was (with 1 being favorite and 12 being least favorite; so the average score is 6.5):

Tier 1 (1-4)

1.  2.68 Adventures (4.25 people rated this as favorite, [1 person ranked 4 as his favorite])

Tier 4 (10-12)

12 10.36 Alchemy (1 favorite; everyone else rated it 10-12th)

I guess I had better post my list since it might throw these results off somewhat. It's interesting how much my ranking this time around has changed from when I did this last year:

1- Empires
2- Intrigue 2nd ed.
3- Prosperity
4- Dark Ages
5- Guilds
6- Hinterlands
7- Alchemy
8- Adventures
9- Cornucopia
10- Dominion 2nd ed
11- Seaside

What's wrong with cornucopia
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:26 am »

1- Empires
2- Intrigue 2nd ed.
3- Prosperity
4- Dark Ages
5- Guilds
6- Hinterlands
7- Alchemy
8- Adventures
9- Cornucopia
10- Dominion 2nd ed
11- Seaside

What's wrong with cornucopia

For a small set it has a lot of cards that I find boring or uninteresting: Harvest, Fortune Teller, Farming Village. Young Witch is kinda fun for the extra card, but I don't really get excited when I play with it. Hunting Party is solid, but doesn't really excite me either. Hamlet is a good card, but the people I play with makes me not enjoy it being out (I've found more people fall for a village idiot trap with it than other villages, and at least one person I play with gets AP with it for some reason).  So that's about half the set that I'm kinda meh on.

I really like a lot of the remaining cards, though. Menagerie and HoP are some of my favorite cards, and Tournament and Jester can be great fun with my group. But as a whole, it seems to have a higher percentage of misses for me than most other sets.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 11:32:03 am »
+1

...Hamlet is a good card, but the people I play with makes me not enjoy it being out (I've found more people fall for a village idiot trap with it than other villages, and at least one person I play with gets AP with it for some reason)...

There are definitely cards that I like, but don't play with because they aren't fun with my friends.
They get analysis paralysis with scheme, for example, which takes a stupid long time for them to decided to put the scheme on top, so they can be confused next turn too.

I only play games my app make,s or reddit KOTWs, and so i never play games with dreck like harvest.
Even so, cornucopia was at the bottom of my list because while it adds some great cards, it doesn't add a ton of cards that I see in games.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:34:37 am by weesh »

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:52 am »

Philosophers stone: your decks get pretty big, so this is a really good card.

Actually it's maybe the single worst card in Dominion, besides maybe Transmute.

Harvest begs to differ.

1. Cornucopia : My love for cornucopia is a bit irrationnal. But this little set is very solid. With the exception of tournament, I like every single card in it.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

I don't get the harvest hate really. Mainly, it's a very fun card to play with because the money you'll get from it depends on your deck building. It's a predictable random parameter and I like that.
I know that terminal money is very situationnal, but with some tricks you can make very clever uses of Harvest, discarding the crap out of the top of your deck.
It happens often that you have no cards to discard, but in this case, you just don't buy Harvest so this doesn't impact my whole appreciation of the card.
Yes, it's a weak card, but there is nothing wrong about that. However, it's no way as weak as transmute.

Harvest is really good for getting coins but the reason I hate it is because you have to discard the cards

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 10:04:30 am »

Harvest begs to differ.

1. Cornucopia : My love for cornucopia is a bit irrationnal. But this little set is very solid. With the exception of tournament, I like every single card in it.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

I don't get the harvest hate really. Mainly, it's a very fun card to play with because the money you'll get from it depends on your deck building. It's a predictable random parameter and I like that.
I know that terminal money is very situationnal, but with some tricks you can make very clever uses of Harvest, discarding the crap out of the top of your deck.
It happens often that you have no cards to discard, but in this case, you just don't buy Harvest so this doesn't impact my whole appreciation of the card.
Yes, it's a weak card, but there is nothing wrong about that. However, it's no way as weak as transmute.

Harvest is really good for getting coins but the reason I hate it is because you have to discard the cards

Well, its good for getting coins if you like getting + out of a action. Even when you get , its still not great. Harvest sucks, which is too bad because the art and the idea are cool.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 11:28:37 am »
+5

Well, its good for getting coins if you like getting + out of a action. Even when you get , its still not great. Harvest sucks, which is too bad because the art and the idea are cool.

It's nice when you occasionally get a board where Harvest pays off. I had an online game recently where it was consistently paying out $4 and that extra $1 over Gold was repeatedly meaningful.

That being said, I updated my physical Harvest cards so that they put one of the four cards back on top of your deck. It's still not a power card, but it's decent pretty often.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 11:38:27 am »

My favorite is Basetriguesidechemritopinterarkagildsenturiresurnomos.

That's actually my favorite one too

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
+1

Harvest begs to differ.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

Not so great to discard good cards, but it is great when discarding the lousy cards too that the latter has made up for the former. 

Also makes terminals and low action boards less of an issue
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2018, 06:18:26 pm »

Harvest's best friend is Black Market.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 03:22:28 am »
+1

Harvest's best friend is Black Market.

If you take a board where Harvest is already viable and add Black Market to it, suddenly Harvest isn't viable anymore because you'd rather have the Black Market.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:23 am »
+1

Cycling is a boon in itself; topdecking all the cards in any order would make Harvest worse. And keeping the cards would get it into $7-8 territory, you certainly didn't mean that.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:45 am »
+1

Cycling is a boon in itself; topdecking all the cards in any order would make Harvest worse. And keeping the cards would get it into $7-8 territory, you certainly didn't mean that.

Cycling is horrible when you're buying victory cards

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 10:06:08 am »
+1

Yes, but that's far less than half of the game. As a whole, an effect that simply says "discard the top 4 cards of your deck" would be a good effect more often than a bad effect.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2018, 10:10:00 am »
+1

Yes, but that's far less than half of the game. As a whole, an effect that simply says "discard the top 4 cards of your deck" would be a good effect more often than a bad effect.

A very mildly good effect, yes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:57 am »

A very mildly good effect, yes.

Well yeah, didn't mean to imply that it's great. But if there were an event that cost , and said "Once per turn: +1 Buy. Discard the top 4 cards of of your deck." then you would buy it almost every turn for more than half of the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:50 am »
+5

Also, cycling makes bad cards like Harvest miss the reshuffle. This should be held in favour of this card.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:56 am »
+3

Also, cycling makes bad cards like Harvest miss the reshuffle. This should be held in favour of this card.

Self-synergy! It's basically Minion.

On the other hand... cycling is better before you start adding bad cards to your deck, but when you buy Harvest, you've started adding bad cards to your deck.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2018, 11:28:32 am »
+2

Well yeah, didn't mean to imply that it's great. But if there were an event that cost , and said "Once per turn: +1 Buy. Discard the top 4 cards of of your deck." then you would buy it almost every turn for more than half of the game.

Actually there was an Adventures outtake like that.

March: Event, $1
+1 Buy
Put your deck into your discard pile.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:30:03 am by LastFootnote »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:21 pm »
+2

+1 Buy

That would have made for really interesting openings.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »

+1 Buy

That would have made for really interesting openings.

I guess you could say that you get some of that experience with Summon.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2018, 09:39:10 pm »

What was wrong with March? Not useful enough? Too useful?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:59 pm »
+5

Without looking it up, I'm going to guess that it was just, it adds nothing but shuffling. It doesn't open up strategies, it doesn't give you something interesting to think about. You buy it when you can and shuffle more.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2018, 12:27:38 am »

Without looking it up, I'm going to guess that it was just, it adds nothing but shuffling. It doesn't open up strategies, it doesn't give you something interesting to think about. You buy it when you can and shuffle more.

That matches my memory. It just didn’t add any gameplay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.