Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Favorite Expansions in 2018  (Read 37522 times)

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Expansions in 2018
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »
+2

Base (1st ed)
Intrigue
Seaside
Alchemy
Prosperity
Cornucopia
Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Guilds
Adventures
Empires
Base & Intrigue (2nd eds)
Nocturne

..wait, what was the question?

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 11:24:34 pm »
+1

13 dark ages
This expansion sucks. I don't like trashing that much. In most expansions there is at least one card that stands out to you as a good card, but this expansion just doesn't have any.

12 seaside
Duration cards are really slow. Also like dark ages, there is no card that stands out to me as a good card. The only thing that is good about this expansion is that it has very brutal attacks.

11 dominion
The cards are just really boring and simple.

10 prosperity
I like being wealthy, but these cards are kind of dumb. They are just not that powerful. One thing good about this expansion is platinum and colony.

9 nocturne
Skulk, werewolf, raider, blessed village, druid, idol, cobbler, fool, crypt, shepherd and tracker are awesome. Pixie, pooka and leprechaun suck.

8 guilds
Most of the cards suck, but the ones that don't suck are really awesome!!!! Masterpiece is way cool!!! If you pay ten for it you get seven silvers. BAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love baker!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are super easy to stack, since it is a cantrip. If you have a lot of coin tokens that can help you a lot! Also the setup is really fun.

7 hinterlands
Guilds is the last expansion that I don't really like that much. So that means hinterlands is the first expansion that I really like. The cards are simple like dominion, but unlike dominion these cards are actually fun. TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tunnel should be a five card not a three card! Yeah, I know, it's that good. Really? Really, it's that good. Two victory points is already awesome. But the reaction ability that it has is awesome!!!!!! Someone could play a militia, go haha, you have to discard down to three cards in hand. And then you just discard two tunnels from your hand of five cards, and you go thanks for the two golds.

6 adventures
Coin of the realm, miser, royal carriage, distant land, caravan guard, duplicate and giant are awesome. Page and peasant are really cool. HIRELING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this card so much!! If you have four of them, your starting hand size is nine cards!

5 intrigue
Why I like this expansion so much is because I like victory cards that help you during the game. COPPERSMITH!!!!!!!!!! If you have four coppersmiths your coppers are worth a platinum that turn.

4 promo
Governor, prince, sauna/avanto and stash are cool, but the main reason I like this expansion so much is BLACK MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black market is my favorite card, which is why my profile picture is the black market picture. To get cards that are not even in the game is so cool.

3 cornucopia
Hunting party and remake suck. Fairground, horn of plenty, menagerie, farming village, and hamlet are awesome. But the main reason this is number three is because of two cards. The first one is JESTER!!!!!!!!!!!! Two coins helps. But then, with the other part either way it benefits you. The other one is TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!! The prizes are awesome!

2 empires
Empires is really wealthy like prosperity, but has good cards unlike prosperity. GLADIATOR/FORTUNE!!!!!!!!!!! Gladiator is okay, but fortune is awesome! CROWN is also awesome!!!!!!!! Also, even though empires only has three attacks, all three of them are very brutal.
Legionary: It's worse than margrave because with margrave you can discard the card you draw, but with legionary you can't.
Catapult: If somebody trashes a silver, you get a curse, and have to discard down to three cards in hand.
Enchantress: if you have a princess all you get for it is one card and one action.

1 alchemy
Transmute, apprentice and golem are okay, but the other nine are do good that I am going to talk about each one of them individually.
Alchemist: if you keep on putting them back on top, you can have a lot of them in a row.
Apothecary: coppers add up, and potions are very useful.
Familiar: this is my favorite alchemy card, because since it replaces its self, you can play a lot of them really easily, and the more you play, the more curses get distributed.
Herbalist: if any kingdom cards are treasure cards, you could put one of them on top.
Philosophers stone: your decks get pretty big, so this is a really good card.
Possession: taking another turn is awesome, but that second turn, is with somebody else's deck, which is even more awesome.
Scrying pool: to put a lot of action cards in your hand is awesome.
University: two actions is cool, and gaining an action card costing up to five coins is also really cool.
Vineyard: makes action cards worth victory points.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:41:21 am by Chase Adolphson »
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 12:01:22 am »
+1

13 dark ages
This expansion sucks. I don't like trashing that much. In most expansions there is at least one card that stands out to you as a good card, but this expansion just doesn't have any.

Dark Ages has some of the most powerful cards in Dominion, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Cultist, Junk Dealer, Hermit/Madman, Urchin/Mercenary, Ironmonger, Procession, Wandering Minstrel, Counterfeit, Altar are all top tier exceptionally strong cards in themselves that often define games. You might not like trashing, but trashing is an essential part of the modern competitive Dominion scene. You could even make an argument that it's always been essential, I would certainly make that case.

12 seaside
Duration cards are really slow. Also like dark ages, there is no card that stands out to me as a good card. The only thing that is good about this expansion is that it has very brutal attacks.

I guess you've never played against Cultist or Mercenary then. Anyways, yeah some Durations are more on the slow side, except uh Wharf, Caravan and sometimes Tactician (Tactician isn't as good as it used to be). But slow doesn't mean bad, just ask Fishing Village.

11 dominion
The cards are just really boring and simple.

Can't really debate this, although based on everything else you've said and are going to say, I don't think you have a deep understanding of some of the cards. Which is fine! You'll get there.  ;D

10 prosperity
I like being wealthy, but these cards are kind of dumb. They are just not that powerful. One thing good about this expansion is platinum and colony.

Yeah, some stuff like Talisman and Contraband are pretty bleah. Other cards like King's Court and Goons completely disagree with the narrative that Prosperity is not that powerful, but yeah it has some mostly duds.

8 guilds
Most of the cards suck, but the ones that don't suck are really awesome!!!! Masterpiece is way cool!!! If you pay ten for it you get seven silvers. BAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love baker!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are super easy to stack, since it is a cantrip. If you have a lot of coin tokens that can help you a lot! Also the setup is really fun.

Those two also happen to be the least wordy of the Guilds cards, probably a theme there. Guilds is like the mature beer and wine set of Dominion, well one of many including Empires and Dark Ages.

7 hinterlands
Guilds is the last expansion that I don't really like that much. So that means hinterlands is the first expansion that I really like. The cards are simple like dominion, but unlike dominion these cards are actually fun. TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tunnel should be a five card not a three card! Yeah, I know, it's that good. Really? Really, it's that good. Two victory points is already awesome. But the reaction ability that it has is awesome!!!!!! Someone could play a militia, go haha, you have to discard down to three cards in hand. And then you just discard two tunnels from your hand of five cards, and you go thanks for the two golds.

Actually Tunnel is sorta bad, although it's been so maligned for so long that sometimes you absolutely can sneak out a Tunnel/Warehouse deck against a high ranked player and win.  :D But it usually doesn't happen.

5 intrigue
Why I like this expansion so much is because I like victory cards that help you during the game. COPPERSMITH!!!!!!!!!! If you have four coppersmiths your coppers are worth a platinum that turn.

I guess you haven't seen Intrigue second edition yet. Coppersmith has been removed for actual good cards, although I do admit I have a fondness for Coppersmith anyways. It was fun to King's Court one.

3 cornucopia
Hunting party and remake suck. Fairground, horn of plenty, menagerie, farming village, and hamlet are awesome. But the main reason this is number three is because of two cards. The first one is JESTER!!!!!!!!!!!! Two coins helps. But then, with the other part either way it benefits you. The other one is TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!! The prizes are awesome!

Uh Remake and Hunting Party are actually among the premier cards in their respective fields of draw and trashing, but maybe sucking just means how much you like them rather than competitive talk.

2 empires
Empires is really wealthy like prosperity, but has good cards unlike prosperity. GLADIATOR/FORTUNE!!!!!!!!!!! Gladiator is okay, but fortune is awesome! Also, even though empires only has three attacks, all three of them are very brutal.
Legionary: It's worse than margrave because with margrave you can discard the card you draw, but with legionary you can't.
Catapult: If somebody trashes a silver, you get a curse, and have to discard down to three cards in hand.
Enchantress: if you have a princess all you get for it is one card and one action.

Legionary is worse than Margrave, mainly because it doesn't draw and give +buy, but yeah the attack is insane brutal.

Actually it's maybe the single worst card in Dominion, besides maybe Transmute.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 12:14:23 am »

Also that's not true about Princess. Read the FAQ for Enchantress.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:13 pm »
+3

Harvest begs to differ.

1. Cornucopia : My love for cornucopia is a bit irrationnal. But this little set is very solid. With the exception of tournament, I like every single card in it.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 01:28:14 pm »
+1

There are some cards more useless than Transmute (hello Bureaucrat) but Transmute is still the worst card because of the price.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:35 pm »
+2

Harvest begs to differ.

1. Cornucopia : My love for cornucopia is a bit irrationnal. But this little set is very solid. With the exception of tournament, I like every single card in it.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

No, Harvest is marginally better than Transmute and Phil Stone. Sometimes you just want terminal money, like in a Tac deck for example.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »

Why do people hate alchemy so much? It's my favorite expansion!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 03:08:28 am »
+1

The concept of an alternative currency reduces predictability and rewards skill less. This is amplified by the regular method of randomisation on Shuffle IT and its predecessors, that is, all card-shaped things with equal probability. You can't ignore the Familiar in the kingdom, but you are screwed with a 4th turn 2€+P. I think Alchemy is ok when you mix it with one or two other expansions, giving you a shot at at least getting a University or Apothecary instead of a Pearl Diver.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 06:26:25 am »
+1

Also a lot of the Alchemy cards are just bad. Herbalist is bad unless you need the +buy, you practically never buy Transmute or Philosopher's Stone and Golem is too difficult to acquire to be worth its effect most of the time. That's 1/3 of the entire expansion there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 10:26:08 am »

Harvest begs to differ.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

No, Harvest is marginally better than Transmute and Phil Stone. Sometimes you just want terminal money, like in a Tac deck for example.

Harvest is the worst man for that job, though. It's expensive, unreliable because of the random draw, and clunky because it needs cards in your deck.

Familiar also makes transmute better, so maybe let's call it a draw?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 10:28:56 am »

There are some cards more useless than Transmute (hello Bureaucrat) but Transmute is still the worst card because of the price.

I'm still not convinced Bureaucrat is so bad. It's useless in engines, but it's a semi-decent BM card and a strong slog card.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:08 am »

I'm still not convinced Bureaucrat is so bad. It's useless in engines, but it's a semi-decent BM card and a strong slog card.

It's an awful BM card and slogs aren't ever the best strategy on the board.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 11:07:07 am »
+1

I'm not sure what you mean by "slogs aren't ever the best strategy on the board".  I expect that in a two-card kingdom with Bureaucrat and Duke, the optimal strategy involves buying 1-3 Bureaucrats.  I agree that Bureaucrat is an awful card in strategies that buy Provinces.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:27 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by "slogs aren't ever the best strategy on the board".  I expect that in a two-card kingdom with Bureaucrat and Duke, the optimal strategy involves buying 1-3 Bureaucrats.  I agree that Bureaucrat is an awful card in strategies that buy Provinces.

Okay, I should reword my statement a bit. Slogs aren't ever the best strategy on the board unless we're playing a variant in which there are only two cards in the kingdom.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:50 am »

As far as I know there are quite many boards that involve junkers with no or poor trashing, aka Slog games, or am I missing something? Are slogs ever something you are able to choose?
S

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:12 am »

As far as I know there are quite many boards that involve junkers with no or poor trashing, aka Slog games, or am I missing something? Are slogs ever something you are able to choose?

Those are probably big money games. Slogs are a strategy where you gain so many points your opponent is never able to end the game without losing.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:15 pm »
+1

1. Dark Ages- Favorite expansion, I would call this the most unique expansion before Nocturne. Some really unique cards in here. Love the focus on trashing. However it does have it's share of stinker cards "Rebuild, Beggar, Poor House", I am a fan of the all of the others.

2. Prosperity- VP tokens, 7 costed cards

3. Nocturne- Nocturne is a Mixed bag for me. I enjoy night cards and heirlooms, but I am not so much a fan of boons and hexes. Nocturne is only this high because I really want to play it more because I don't have that many games with it.

4. Adventures- I actually like Reserve actions more than Duration actions. I would call this my favorite backbone expansion, since it has a lot of solid cards. Journey Tokens, is the weakest mechanic to me in all of dominion, but only two cards use it so it's forgivable.

5. Cornucopia- My favorite mini-expanion. Hamlet, Menagerie, Farming Village, Remake, Tournament, Hunting Party, and jester are some of my favorite cards.

6. Intrigue- A lot of great cards, you can tell this is when dominion really took off.

7. Empire- Really solid set but some of the cards are pretty mediocre/triggering to me, such as Patrician/Emporium, Chariot Race, Enchantress, Settlers, Gladiator, Archive, Wild Hunt, Rocks, Legionary. Also I wish the debt tokens were used a bit more.

8. Guilds- Coin tokens are a really neat mechanic, but Journeyman, Merchant Guild, Soothsayer, Doctor, and Masterpiece are cards I don't really care too much about, which is almost half of the set.

9. Base- Has a lot of vanilla and classic cards that I quite enjoy playing with. The second edition cards are less desirable than intrigue's to me and nothing is really that unique or pops in the base set.

10. Hinterlands- This set always rubbed me off as boring at least in theme/artwork. Don't get me wrong it has a lot a great cards, but it's "When you gain mechanic" isn't that stand-out to me and the set as a whole doesn't feel connected like other sets.

11. Seaside- Lighthouse is my favorite card and I do like the theme. But this set has a lot of mediocre/stinker cards for me... Treasure Map, Explorer, Outpost, Tactician, Lookout, Pearl Diver, Sea Hag, Pirate Ship, and Ghost Ship aren't really cards I enjoy seeing in random kingdoms most of the time.

12. Alchemy- The only cards I actually like in this set are Alchemist, Golem, Apprentice, and Possession. "Sorry Scrying Pool fans"

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 11:42:01 pm »
+1

This is my expansion ranking alphabetically...

1. Adventures
2. Alchemy
3. Cornucopia
4. Dark Ages
5. Empires
6. Guilds
7. Hinterlands
8. Intrigue
9. Nocturne
10. Prosperity
11. Seaside
-The Compulsive Completist

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 01:45:41 am »
+2

This is my expansion ranking alphabetically...

1. Adventures
2. Alchemy
3. Cornucopia
4. Dark Ages
5. Empires
6. Guilds
7. Hinterlands
8. Intrigue
9. Nocturne
10. Prosperity
11. Seaside

Finally I found somebody else who likes alchemy as well. I thought I was the only one who liked alchemy

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2018, 03:04:04 am »
+1

Okay, I should reword my statement a bit. Slogs aren't ever the best strategy on the board unless we're playing a variant in which there are only two cards in the kingdom.
I dunno man, Shepherd is a pretty strong slog card.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2018, 05:31:52 am »

I have opinions too, yay! But who reads the second page of a thread like this?
I don't want to sort between sets that are really close, so here are tiers:

Favourite: Prosperity, Adventures, Guilds, Cornucopia.

Upper Middle: Base, Hinterland, Intrigue.

Lower Middle: Empires, Seaside.

Least: Dark Ages, Alchemy, Nocturne.

Base and Intrigue are 2nd Ed and benefit from my favouritism of simple cards.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2018, 06:39:44 am »

Harvest begs to differ.

Even Harvest?

Harvest!

I don't get the harvest hate really. Mainly, it's a very fun card to play with because the money you'll get from it depends on your deck building. It's a predictable random parameter and I like that.
I know that terminal money is very situationnal, but with some tricks you can make very clever uses of Harvest, discarding the crap out of the top of your deck.
It happens often that you have no cards to discard, but in this case, you just don't buy Harvest so this doesn't impact my whole appreciation of the card.
Yes, it's a weak card, but there is nothing wrong about that. However, it's no way as weak as transmute.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2018, 01:28:48 pm »

Harvest's big problem is that it's terminal payload that you don't want to draw at the very end. You can discard some junk and Harvest that, but that option isn't always available. When it works, though, it can be pretty good payload, particularly with cards like Herald that love actions but hate treasures. It's also something decent to buy if it's a slog board with not much else going on; that's definitely not high praise but it's more than I can say for something like Cache, which you usually don't want even if there's nothing else going on.

Overall, I don't think Harvest is the very worst $5 card, but it's definitely down there.

Duggie

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2018, 05:15:18 pm »
+6

I took people's responses here, ranking their favorite dominion expansions, and did some analysis on them. I included 11 people's responses, anyone who gave a ranking of their favorite 12 expansions, and the post seemed sincere (sorry alphabetical guy).  From these responses, the average ranking from best to worst was (with 1 being favorite and 12 being least favorite; so the average score is 6.5):

Tier 1 (1-4)

1.  2.68 Adventures (4.25 people rated this as favorite, [1 person ranked 4 as his favorite])

Tier 2 (4-6)

2. 4.50 Empires (2 favorites)

--
--

3. 5.27 Nocturne (1 favorite)

Tier 3 (6-8)

4.  6.00 Dark Ages (1 favorite)

5. 6.14 Prosperity (0.25 favorites)

---

6. 6.45 Cornucopia (1.25 favorite)

7. 6.82 Guilds (.25 favorite))

---

8. 7.14 Base 2e (0 favorites)

9. 7.23 Seaside  (0 favorites)

----

10. 7.59 Hinterlands (0 favorites)

11. 7.82 Intrigue 2e (0 favorites)

Tier 4 (10-12)

12 10.36 Alchemy (1 favorite; everyone else rated it 10-12th)

------

Conclusion: People like the newest sets best on average, especially Adeventures and people really don't like alchemy. In terms of variance, Alchemy, Adventures and Hinterlands had the lowest variance in responses. A few people included promos and most put them as 13th as the cards are often too powerful.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:32:47 pm by Duggie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.