Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Favorite Expansions in 2018

(1/28) > >>

Commodore Chuckles:
So, every year we have a new thread where we rank all the expansions favorite to least-favorite. Here's my list:

1. Empires
Hands-down my favorite. Expands the game strategy in all the right ways. My only real complaint is that I don't like some of the Landmarks, but this would be an awesome set even if it didn't have the Landmarks at all, so that's not really a point against it.

2. Intrigue, 2nd Edition
The new cards are great, and the others are classic cards that continue to be interesting.

3. Adventures
My feelings about the Reserve cards are somewhat mixed. Cards flying in and out of your deck like this feels sort of un-Dominionish. Still, I overall like them, and the set has no duds.

4. Dark Ages
This one has really grown on me. The subtle interactions between the cards are very cool, and the Shelters and Ruins are awesome. The main thing dragging the set down is a few really stupid cards (Rebuild, Urchin, Cultist.)

5. Seaside
This set is very under appreciated, I think. The main complaint seems to be that the set has "power creep" or is "boring." Wharf and Fishing Village are powerful, but their presence still makes the game interesting, as opposed to Rebuild and Urchin, which are overpowered in a way that makes the game less interesting. And Tactician and Native Village remain some of the most interesting cards in the game, in my opinion. Also, for such an early set, this one has surprisingly few duds. The main one that sticks out is Navigator, but I'm starting to have a bit more respect for even that card. And yeah, I guess Pearl Diver is pretty worthless.

6. Prosperity
The Gilded Age set: A lot of cool, powerful cards but also a lot of duds. Ironically considering the set's theme, a lot of the duds are the kingdom treasures.

7. Nocturne
Some mechanics just aren't my cup of tea, I'm afraid. I'm actually starting to like the Hexes a bit more: it's interesting how they can stack, and the mechanic allows interesting attacks that often do nothing (particularly Bad Omens.) I still don't really like the Boons, though, but it might simply be because a lot of the Boon cards are pretty boring. There are also a lot of retreads: Pooka is like Spice Merchant, Secret Cave is very similar to Mill. Still, I'd be lying if I said this set doesn't have some really, really cool cards.

8. Guilds
The Guilded Age Set. The coin tokens and overpay are neat and well-utilized.

9. Hinterlands
This set, not Seaside, is the true "boring" set. The "on-gain" theme is weak (and is a mechanic that appears in plenty of other sets), a lot of the cards are retreads, others are big duds, and some are just not that interesting. I'm glad it exists, but there are so many other, better expansions.

10. Cornucopia
You can count me as one who doesn't share in the Cornucopia hype. I like it, but most of the cards just don't grab me that much.

11. Alchemy
What else is there to say that hasn't been said a million times? I share everybody else's complaints with this set.

12. Base, 2nd Edition
It's great that I won't ever have to see Chancellor's ugly mug again, but this is still the most boring set in the game, which is fine, because it's supposed to be simple. There is one dubious thing about the new cards: did we really need TWO new Peddlers in a set that already had Market?

weesh:
intrigue is that good?

the only reason intrigue was competing with prosperity and seaside on my "next buy" list is because after 200 unsleeved games, i'm in the market for more basic supply cards.

crj:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on January 27, 2018, 04:15:26 pm ---[Empires]
My only real complaint is that I don't like some of the Landmarks, but this would be an awesome set even if it didn't have the Landmarks at all, so that's not really a point against it.
[Dark Ages]
The main thing dragging the set down is a few really stupid cards (Rebuild, Urchin, Cultist.)

--- End quote ---
If I understand you correctly, in the case of Empires you forgive some bits you dislike because of the bits you do like, but in the case of Dark Ages you feel the bits you dislike count against the set. Isn't that inconsistent?

Commodore Chuckles:

--- Quote from: crj on January 27, 2018, 06:32:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on January 27, 2018, 04:15:26 pm ---[Empires]
My only real complaint is that I don't like some of the Landmarks, but this would be an awesome set even if it didn't have the Landmarks at all, so that's not really a point against it.
[Dark Ages]
The main thing dragging the set down is a few really stupid cards (Rebuild, Urchin, Cultist.)

--- End quote ---
If I understand you correctly, in the case of Empires you forgive some bits you dislike because of the bits you do like, but in the case of Dark Ages you feel the bits you dislike count against the set. Isn't that inconsistent?

--- End quote ---

The thing is that Empires has great cards even without the Landmarks, whereas Dark Ages has bad (in my opinion) cards taking up places where better cards could be.

Also, sheesh, I wasn't expecting people to put my opinion under a microscope. Maybe I worded the OP wrong, but this wasn't supposed to be an authoritative list of best to worst, it's just my personal favorite to least favorite, and I don't care if your list is completely different than mine.

LastFootnote:

--- Quote from: weesh on January 27, 2018, 05:16:41 pm ---intrigue is that good?

the only reason intrigue was competing with prosperity and seaside on my "next buy" list is because after 200 unsleeved games, i'm in the market for more basic supply cards.

--- End quote ---

Intrigue Second Edition doesn’t include the basic supply cards. Just buy the Base Cards product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version