Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: iOS Dominion - Big Money, Big Win  (Read 4345 times)

TheMeeplechase

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • The Meeplechase: Board Game Talk
iOS Dominion - Big Money, Big Win
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »

So I've been playing the iPhone version of Dominion and I'm not a Dominion expert prior to this version, though I've played a few times. I have found that what everyone is referring to as the Big Money strategy never fails on against the AI players on this version though. On BGG the designer posted that I was incorrect in this assumption that Big Money is competitive. So I have been playing with experienced players and on the iPhone. Yet it keeps winning.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you have to recognize a player is going Big Money to compete with it? Have you tried the iOS version? Are those players weak?

Here is the article too:
http://bigpearstudios.com/index.php/2012/02/23/dominion-domination-the-win-strategy/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: iOS Dominion - Big Money, Big Win
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »
+1

Play some high level players on Isotropic and try straight-up Big Money.  You won't get very far. (and will probably learn a trick or two!)

Of course, if you're only playing with the Base Set, then yes, Big Money is pretty dominant on most boards.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »
+1

If the AI can't beat pure big money consistently, that is one really terrible AI.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:44 pm »

It is generally accepted that Big Money or some simple variation thereof (BM + Smithy, BM + 2 Library, BM + 2 Witch, etc.) is highly competitive when dealing with cards only in the base game.

Big Money is also very competitive against players who overbuy actions, and can even be competitive against strong experienced players trying to build complicated combinations if they do it in the wrong order.  That is, it's easy to build a complex deck badly, but it's hard(er) to screw up playing Big Money.

Finally, Big Money tends to be more competitive in multiplayer, since in multiplayer there are more players competing for the same number of actions. So where you might get 4-6 of a hotly contested action in 2p, you might only get 2-4 in 4p. That makes it harder to chain together combinations. 4+p games also go much faster since there are fewer provinces per player; this rewards a strategy that ramps up quickly and gives less time and strategic room for comebacks, both of which are conducive to Big Money strategies.

That being said, a strategy that buys nothing but money and VP is no-doubt a long-term loser on the vast majority of 2p boards.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:02:18 pm »

Big Money is a good baseline. It will beat people who do not know what they're doing and buy the wrong action cards or too many. It's easy to get carried away, and buying the wrong actions is a lot worse than buying silver.

If iOS players can't beat Big Money, then yeah, they're not very good. I suspect on Isotropic, someone who just played pure BM would end up at level 3 to 5 at best - they'd get lots of wins against people who don't know what they're doing, but would lose to anyone who does know what they're doing. Try isotropic if you want to see that, see how high you can get your ranking - I guarantee that if you want to get into the 20s or above, you'll have to progress far beyond just going for pure big money.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »
+3

So I've been playing the iPhone version of Dominion
Incidentally the version you refer to is a fan-made implementation of Dominion, completely unofficial. The official version will have a good AI.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »

The official version will have a good AI.
++

cprloe

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »

Incidentally the version you refer to is a fan-made implementation of Dominion, completely unofficial. The official version will have a good AI.

Since you brought it up, is there any estimate on when the official iOS version will be released?  I am ready to pay full price for the app plus any and all expansions.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »

An estimate? Yes, there is an 'estimate': I think it's been announced as 'early this year'.

I bet Donald still can't give us any more detail than that. I would love to lose that bet, but I don't see it happening.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:39:29 pm »

Since you brought it up, is there any estimate on when the official iOS version will be released?  I am ready to pay full price for the app plus any and all expansions.
They have not announced anything yet.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »

Damn. Would have lost my bet. As expected :(

Though maybe I'm also wrong because I thought 'early this year' had been announced? We'll see.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »
+1

The "AI" is actually Donald himself, who is fully capable of playing hundreds of games of Dominion simultaneously.  ;)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »

It has to beat me more than 50% of the time to be a good AI!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.454 seconds with 21 queries.