Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ideas for Adventure themed cards  (Read 1564 times)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
Ideas for Adventure themed cards
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
+2

Hello,
The Adventures expansion really had some interesting mechanics, many of which felt underused. Here are several ideas for cards that could fit right into the Adventures expansion (not really; as there are also some with Guilds mechanics). Without further adeu, here they are! They are ordered by price (and events are separated).

Coupon (Treasure, $2)
Exchange any number of +Buys for +1$ each.
---------------------------
When you buy this card, you may overpay. If you do, gain an Action or Treasure
costing equal to the amount you have overpayed. Move your +Buy token to
its pile.
My goal was to create a $2 card that in itself benefits from many Buys, and that enables the +Buy token through overpaying. I like this version, though it might be OP when buys are plentifull.

Dwarves' Workshop (Action, $4)
Choose one: Move your -2$ token to an Action supply pile, or gain a card costing up to $4.

A workshop variant that makes good use of the -2$ token. May seem kinda OP, but it's also kinda slow at the same time.

Ecological Village (Action, $4)
+2 action, +1 card
When you gain this, you may move your trashing token to an Action Supply pile.
(when you buy a card from that pile, you may trash a card from your hand)

A village variant, and a more efficient version of Plan.

Robot (Action, $4)
Choose one: +1 action, +1$, +1 card or +1 buy. If this is the first time you played Robot this turn,
you may move your +action, +card, +buy or +$ token to its pile.
A card that moves teacher tokens to its own pile. It can become a strictly superior Grand Market, but it takes quite a few plays to get there. In that sense also a bit of a Traveller. I know a similar idea has also been brought in other threads, but I'd like to share it regardless.

Mystery Village (Action, $4)
+1 action
Play the card on the Mystery Village mat
---------------------------
Setup: Put an action costing up to $3 that gives +1 action onto the
Mystery Village mat.

My favorite idea on the list, and probably better suited as a promo. It is a village that functions differently in each game, and can answer a lot of questions in the vein of "how would this card function if it was a village".

Housecleaner (Action, $5)
+1 card, +1 action
Draw cards untill you draw a Victory card costing up to $6. Move that card to the Tavern mat. Discard the rest.

This card enables Alt-VP strategies, as those VP cards won't be in your way now. The synergy with Disant Lands is intentional.

And now some events.

Money Pig (Event, $0)
When buying this event, you may overpay. +1 coin token per $ overpaid.
(Setup: Each player moves their +Buy token to the Silver pile at the start of the game)

This event is a perfect smoothener, but needs spare buys to work. The setup ensures that those are always there.

Reinforcements (Event, $5)
Gain an Action costing up to $4 that gives +1 action. Move your +Action token
to its pile.
A bit similar to Mystery Village, but more Adventures fitting. The idea is to get a cheaper version of Lost Arts that has far more limited targets, only allowing to make the Village of your choice.

Decorate (Event, $8)
Once per game: Gain a Duchy. Set aside a non-Victory Action card from the Supply costing up to $4.
Move your Duchy token to it (your Duchies gain the abilities and types of that card).
A Duchy version of Inheritance! Will probably play completely different. I decided to let it come with a Duchy, otherwise it is probably too inefficient.

And that's it! What do you think of these ideas? I may post some more in the future.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Adventure themed cards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 04:40:19 am »

Robot (Action, $4)
Choose one: +1 action, +1$, +1 card or +1 buy. If this is the first time you played Robot this turn,
you may move your +action, +card, +buy or +$ token to its pile.
A card that moves teacher tokens to its own pile. It can become a strictly superior Grand Market, but it takes quite a few plays to get there. In that sense also a bit of a Traveller. I know a similar idea has also been brought in other threads, but I'd like to share it regardless.

I would more often than not buy it if it were at $5. Compare to City, how fast both cards develop to which level. At $4, it would be OP.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:39 pm »

I think it's overpowered at 4 but maybe not as dramatically as it first appears (possibly, just as dramatically as it first appears.)

I think you should only get to move the token if you chose +buy, and it's the first Robot you played.  That'd slow it down enough, maybe enough to let it stay at 4$.

It seems meant to have a potion cost, though.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:54:51 am »

I just realized that it's a Ruins on first play, thought it was a Pawn. In this case I'd say it's a strongish $4 and weakish $5. Still would put it at $5 because of the many Workshop cards around.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:22:48 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. I will reconsider the price. I think that making it a Potion costing card (with price being 2P) is the best option for a price, to really ensure it isn't a Grand Market on steroids in terms of snowballing.

What do you think of the other cards?

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:31:17 pm »
+1

Coupon: This seems like it can pretty easily be worth a lot of $, it also stacks horribly with itself, so maybe that isn't so bad. The problem with "buys matter" cards is that they are either very weak or crazy strong, depending on the availability of +buy (Highway is a decent example of this). To be honest the cost reduction cards in general kind of fill this role of +buy matters about as well as you can.

Dwarves' Workshop: This is broken at this cost, it might be okay at $5, but  I would guess it has to cost $6. The first play is better than a terminal Silver, and then after that it becomes a $6 action gainer - this is just so far above the curve for a $4.

Ecological Village: This is also broken at this cost - this is a recurring theme, I think you've underestimated just how strong the Adventures tokens are. Plan is an incredible Event, it's almost always correct to get turn 1 with on a 3/4 start and worth it most of the time on a 4/3 too. Getting a Village along with it for just $4 is obscene - and Ecological Village is a great target for the Trashing token making it play out similarly every game. I think an on-gain Trashing token would be better suited to a $5 terminal.

Robot: This is kinda like a Traveller, but they all upgrade at the same time and they upgrade in the action phase. It should probably cost $5, but it is quite slow to set up so you might be able to get away with it? Probably not actually.

Mystery Village: I feel like this is also slightly too good on-average, but it could be fine. It's basically putting the +1 Action token on the set aside card. Things like Pearl Diver or Harbinger don't seem too goo with this, but then there's Menagerie and Chariot Race and such that are just insane as $4 villages. Scheme also becomes a basically strictly better walled Village. Does Pawn count as giving +1 Action?

Housecleaner: This could be fine, lets an engine buy up Duchies without slowing down. The wording should be "Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $6. Put that card on the Tavern Mat and discard the rest." I think most "alt-vp strategies" want to end the game asap and probably shouldn't waste their time on these.

Money Pig: This is the kind of thing that might be interesting in a game with no +buy, but just become game ruining with +buy because it kind of destroys the dynamic of the game. And this gives Silver +1 buy, which could be an interesting take on Delve- changing the value of Silver, but yeah this is crazy because there's no cost to saving up tokens. Save and Borrow are 2 of the best Events and this blows them out of the water. 

Reinforcements: I think this is far too strong, Lost Arts is one of the best $6's and this is cheaper and gains you the card. I think this could still cost $6 and it might still be better than Lost Arts, sure you can't put it on terminal draw but gaining the card easily makes up for it. It also does nothing in games with no valid cards which isn't great.

Decorate: I think this is probably fine, it's strong for sure but so is Inheritance. Gaining the Duchy seems like a good idea because you don't start the game with 3 in your deck like you do with Inheritance and this also makes the card more expensive to get because Duchies cost 5. It ends up being a lot more bout the vp than Inheritance, which probably means it's a bit more boring, but there's a lot of room to be less exciting than Inheritance and still be exciting.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.