Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How would old cards be made differently with new mechanics?  (Read 10138 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
How would old cards be made differently with new mechanics?
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:14 am »
+7

Something I've been thinking about is that if some old cards had been made now, they may be made more elegantly with the new mechanics introduced in newer sets, which weren't present in older sets.

One example that comes to mind immediately is Horn of Plenty. It would make much more sense as a Night card than a $0 Treasure.

Another one is perhaps Trader. I'll say the reaction part would be better written with "exchange", as "When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand to exchange it for a Silver". This eliminates all the wonky "would gain" interactions.

What do you think? Are there any other cards that can be similarly made better?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: How would old cards be made differently with new mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:54:00 am »
+5

Some cards cost 7$ or more, because at 5$, they would be too swingy if one player opens 5$ and the other doesn‘t. This risk can be solved by debt. Example given, Forge could be priced 7 debt. Similarly, Prince would be more interesting as a debt card.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:48 am »
+4

It’s not a “newer mechanic”, but Distant Lands could easily (and arguably more straightforwardly) have been “trash this; if you do +4 VP” in Empires rather than a Reserve card in Adventures.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:21:12 pm »

I don't really see any problem with HoP being a Treasure. It's not the only Treasure that doesn't provide any money.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:48:58 pm »
+3

Nomad camp could easily have used Save/Gear technology and it wouldn't have been close to being op. Heck, even autosummoning Nomad Camps wouldn't be broken.

Some of the very expensive, snowballing cards could have had a less swingy price, had debt been available. I'm mostly thinking of King's Court.

Scheme could have been a Night card and it would have been much simpler (but weaker).

HoP is definitely a Night card from before Night cards existed. Of course you get the nice "gain a treasure" interactions. But it's much easier to explain as Night.

A lot of one-shots and on-gains could've been Events, and a lot of them got similar Event versions. Embargo (Tax), Cache (Banquet), Nomad Camp (see Travelling Fair), Ill-Gotten Gains (albeit with much less 3-pile potential)...

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:35 pm »

One example that comes to mind immediately is Horn of Plenty. It would make much more sense as a Night card than a $0 Treasure.

How does that make it better?
Night should only be used, when it MUST be used, because i'm really getting tired of telling people "wait, you can't play that card until after your buy phase"...
...and having people say it to me.

There are probably a lot of cards that DX would have made as events if they had been in the game day 1.
the secret histories of events are full of "this was a kingdom card..."

but i can't think of any cards for which there is a smooth transition.

i think it's more likely that if events were always a thing, some of the kingdom cards would have morphed into elegant but different events/landmarks.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:55 pm »
+2

Bear in mind that there are still differences between how these cards are, and the fixes being proposed.  You can Crown Horn of Plenty.  Distant Lands counts for Vineyards.  Forge and Prince can be gained by Workshop variants (given enough cost reduction).  Trader as-is has the infinite VP trick with Forum and Goons and Highway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:52 pm »
+1

I've seen a few people complain that they forgot about Scheme's end of turn effect. I think that's reason enough to make it a Night.

Horn of Plenty would be less confusing as Night. That +$0 just makes it look weird, and also the $ symbol takes tons of space.

Hermit and Urchin could exchange themselves for their upgrades. And maybe Madman could return to a Hermit after playing him.

I also feel like it would be less confusing if the coin tokens in Guilds were named Copper tokens. It makes sense, each token gives +$1.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 03:54:58 am »

Oh, and of course debt and the -coin token do the same thing, except one doesn't stack.
Every player without debt takes one debt works almost exactly like bridge troll, and ball could cost 4 coins and one debt and be just a tad weaker.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 04:36:38 am »
+3

Oh, and of course debt and the -coin token do the same thing, except one doesn't stack.
Every player without debt takes one debt works almost exactly like bridge troll, and ball could cost 4 coins and one debt and be just a tad weaker.

No, Ball could cost 5 coins and one debt.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 04:38:16 am »
+8

For the most part any of this later technology really doesn't want to be in the main set. But we can posit a spin-off game that includes whatever it is, and then say yes, certain cards would be different. We can also imagine that some particular card could have not happened on cue, and later appeared in whatever set. And of course any edge cases are moot, the cards want to be the best versions of themselves possible and even things like "you can Crown a Horn of Plenty" just wouldn't matter to me.

Night: Obv. Horn of Plenty would be a Night card, the example I have endlessly given already, and sure maybe Scheme.

Exchange: I think of this as, well not exactly a failed experiment, but something that was better constrained to the Travellers. I think it confuses people and the move is not to use it. Trader, as I've said in the past, either it should not have the reaction, or the reaction should let you trash a when-gained non-silver card to gain a silver. Of course a spin-off could have exchange but not when-gain, or could just really require that people learn all about exchanging day one, as a basic part of the rules.

Debt: Yes this is better-to-use than the -$1 token, though Ball would be $5 and D, not $4. I don't imagine Debt would find a lot of other use; those 8D cards were tricky. However the Engineer trick could come in handy elsewhere (since it costs Debt, it can't gain itself).

VP tokens: Well you don't really get anything changing Distant Lands, I mean it's one thing or another. You might be able to get a little use of VP tokens though, other than completely new cards; Harem for example could be an Event with "+2 VP, gain a Silver."

Events: Yes some one-shots and when-gain-style one-shots could be Events instead. And a few other cards, like Harem. I don't think Events would eliminate either one-shots or when-gain cards, but there would be fewer of them. It's tricky because, when you convert the card to an Event, you lose some specific fun that you notice that you're losing. I enjoyed using TFB cards on the thing that became Banquet, for example. But this is always up against "but the Event just takes one slot in the set, and the kingdom card takes eleven."

I think Events are easily the winner, in terms of what you get out of having them.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 06:21:48 am »

I really like Trader for what it is. HoP is not overcomplicated, unlike how many Night cards would be if they were Treasures, so that is also fine as it is.
The only thing I don't like is how some cards don't take newer mechanics (or just mechanics from other expansions) into consideration. This being:
* Explorer: Why doesn't this interact with Colonies? (actually, I think it should give Gold with any Victory card that costs $5+; provinces are just too narrow)
* Salvager: pretty dumb how it doesn't give Potion cost back, even if it is fairly irrelevant in practice.
* Haunted Woods: Shouldn't Night cards be immune to the attack (also makes sense flavor wise)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 06:51:21 am »
+4

I really like Trader for what it is. HoP is not overcomplicated, unlike how many Night cards would be if they were Treasures, so that is also fine as it is.
The only thing I don't like is how some cards don't take newer mechanics (or just mechanics from other expansions) into consideration. This being:
* Explorer: Why doesn't this interact with Colonies? (actually, I think it should give Gold with any Victory card that costs $5+; provinces are just too narrow)
* Salvager: pretty dumb how it doesn't give Potion cost back, even if it is fairly irrelevant in practice.
* Haunted Woods: Shouldn't Night cards be immune to the attack (also makes sense flavor wise)?
I super super disagree. Trader and Horn of Plenty are definitely too complicated, it would be bad if Explorer tried to get in Colonies, it would suck hard if Salvager referred to Potions. Those are just all bad bad things. Haunted Woods came out ahead of Nocturne, of course it doesn't refer to Night cards. They couldn't desperately try to account for it either.

It can be hard to see how bad complexity is. What's the harm? The harm is fewer people playing the game. I would like more people to play. My big regrets in Dominion cards are exactly the kind of thing you're in favor of here.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 07:03:03 am »
+2

It’s not a “newer mechanic”, but Distant Lands could easily (and arguably more straightforwardly) have been “trash this; if you do +4 VP” in Empires rather than a Reserve card in Adventures.

This is similar like Harem -> Conquest.

It is important for Distant Lands that there are some edge cases with Gardens, Market Square, Tomb and Courtier.

However, I think that Island just should say "set aside", similar to Inheritance or Prince. There is no requirement for a separate Island mat.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:06:36 am by King Leon »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:07:52 am »

No, Ball could cost 5 coins and one debt.

Yeah, of course. I wasn't paying attention.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 07:13:10 am »
+1

Another thing worth noting is that self-trashing Distant Lands (or Island) would enable some endless loops with Rogue, Lurker, and Graverobber. The potential for that sort of things is already there, though.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 02:56:48 pm »
+1

My main changes would be taking the old, 1E cards, and instead of making them either completely different, or removing them outright with no "spiritual successors"... to just make some tweaks to them.  For example, Thief typically helps your opponents since it strips out their Coppers.  Have Thief ignore Coppers, and keep everything else the same.  Give Scout +1 coin and/or +1 card as well.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

Given I've seen this thread just after the one discussing the Seaside mats...

...Island could easily use the Tavern mat instead of another of its own, couldn't it?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 07:38:33 pm »
+1

...Island could easily use the Tavern mat instead of another of its own, couldn't it?
Yes, that would be fine.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 08:50:09 pm »

Yes, that would be fine.

And it would have a cute interaction with Reserve cards. Not necessarily a useful one. Oh, except with Miser. And Distant Lands.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 08:53:24 pm »

Yes, that would be fine.

And it would have a cute interaction with Reserve cards. Not necessarily a useful one. Oh, except with Miser. And Distant Lands.

I really don’t think this is what was meant. Or are you joking?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:34 pm »

Yes, that would be fine.

I am not joking. What was meant?

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 09:15:46 pm »

Yes, that would be fine.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I understood this as just using the tavern mat as a physical place to put island and the cards that go with it instead of using a separate island mat, but not that you would actually consider such cards to be “on your tavern mat” for the purposes of cards that say such things like Miser.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »
+7

Yes, that would be fine.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I understood this as just using the tavern mat as a physical place to put island and the cards that go with it instead of using a separate island mat, but not that you would actually consider such cards to be “on your tavern mat” for the purposes of cards that say such things like Miser.

You would, though. They'd be on your Tavern mat, for all purposes. It would be bad for there to be a distinction between cards that were "really" on your Tavern mat and those that weren't.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:55 am »
+6

Some cards cost 7$ or more, because at 5$, they would be too swingy if one player opens 5$ and the other doesn‘t. This risk can be solved by debt. Example given, Forge could be priced 7 debt. Similarly, Prince would be more interesting as a debt card.

My fear is that Forge would be an autobuy, at least in kingdoms sans Chapel. This would render the second turn uninteresting. The elegance about Royal Blacksmith and City Quarter is that you could open with them, it is just very ineffectual. Whereas Forge is exactly what you need at the start of the game.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.