Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How thematic are the expansions?  (Read 26357 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: How thematic are the expansions?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 02:20:48 am »
+4

Donald X, where does Bazaar fit into Seaside?
They sell stuff from the ships. Or to the ships, I forget which.

Here is Dark Ages:

4 Ruins: Marauder, Cultist, Death Cart, Vagrant (Ruined Library, Ruined Market, Ruined Village, Abandoned Mine, Survivors)
3 Spoils: Marauder, Pillage, Bandit Camp (Spoils)
8 When-trash: Market Square, Fortress, Squire, Hunting Grounds, Feodum, Cultist, Catacombs, Rats (Overgrown Estate, Sir Vander)
7 Other upgrade: Hermit, Urchin, Rats, Altar, Graverobber, Procession, Rebuild
8 Other trashing: Junk Dealer, Counterfeit, Forager, Death Cart, Count, Knights, Rogue, Pillage (Mercenary, Hovel, Dame Anna)
3 Look at trash: Graverobber, Rogue, Forager
7 Live with junk: Poor House, Sage, Storeroom, Ironmonger, Scavenger, Wandering Minstrel, Catacombs (Survivors)

4 Off-theme: Beggar, Armory, Band of Misfits, Mystic (Madman, Necropolis)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:48 pm »

Here's how I count the themes:

Intrigue:

4 Off-theme: Shanty Town, Bridge, Conspirator, Coppersmith

You know, it surprises me that Donald considers Shanty Town and Conspirator as "off-theme" for Intrigue. They don't offer choices, but they do fit into what seems like a broader theme of Intrigue that includes both the choice cards and the mixed Victory cards: Cards That Do Multiple Different Things. Steward and Pawn do different things depending on what choice you make when you play them; Harem and Great Hall do one thing during the game and something else at the end of the game when you're calculating your score; and Shanty Town and Conspirator do different things depending on whether you have other Action cards in hand / in play when you play them. Tribute is like this too. It all seems like a single category to me.

(how's that for pulling out an old thread)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:53:37 pm by AJD »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:43 pm »
+3

Here's how I count the themes:

Intrigue:

4 Off-theme: Shanty Town, Bridge, Conspirator, Coppersmith

You know, it surprises me that Donald considers Shanty Town and Conspirator as "off-theme" for Intrigue. They don't offer choices, but they do fit into what seems like a broader theme of Intrigue that includes both the choice cards and the mixed Victory cards: Cards That Do Multiple Different Things. Steward and Pawn do different things depending on what choice you make when you play them; Harem and Great Hall do one thing during the game and something else at the end of the game when you're calculating your score; and Shanty Town and Conspirator do different things depending on whether you have other Action cards in hand / in play when you play them. Tribute is like this too. It all seems like a single category to me.

(how's that for pulling out an old thread)

I'd rather compare Shanty Town and Conspirator to Menagerie, Baron and Explorer:
"If (something tricky), do (something awesome). If not, do (something less awesome)."

Edit: I think it's strange how both seem to fit pretty well in Intrigue, name-wise. More than ironworks, for example.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:49:58 pm by Asper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:43 pm »
+3

Guilds:

5 Coin token cards (Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker, Butcher, Merchant Guild)
4 Overpay cards (Stonemason, Doctor, Masterpiece, Herald)
2 Naming cards (Doctor, Journeyman)
2 Other "naming" (Advisor, Taxman)

1 Off theme (Soothsayer)*

*Unless you count "bald people," then everything is on theme
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.