Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: How thematic are card names?  (Read 2970 times)

AJD

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +3678
    • View Profile
Re: How thematic are card names?
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 11:57:03 am »

Pasture seems pretty underrated here. The more land you have, the bigger your Pasture is!

Yeah maybe. Why is it a Treasure though?

Trashing flavour is all over the place. Graverobber, Cemetery, Necromancer etc. tell us that trashed things are dead, so what exactly is that Bishop up to?

Yeah there seems to be a bunch of different flavor elements associated with trashing. "Trashed things are dead" is one, and it's intuitively sensible but seems like a relatively late addition to the theme? The earliest clear trashing flavor is "trashing is associated with religion and the church (for some reason)", which applies at least to Chapel, Bishop, Altar, Temple, and Monastery. And then there's "trashing is commerce"ŚMoneylender, Trading Post, Trade Route, Loan, Trader, Mercenary.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:53 pm »

Pasture seems pretty underrated here. The more land you have, the bigger your Pasture is!

You sell the wool I guess.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2232
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 02:56:01 pm »

Trashing flavour is all over the place. Graverobber, Cemetery, Necromancer etc. tell us that trashed things are dead, so what exactly is that Bishop up to?

Or that Lurker?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2018, 04:19:17 pm »
+3

The earliest clear trashing flavor is "trashing is associated with religion and the church (for some reason)", which applies at least to Chapel, Bishop, Altar, Temple, and Monastery.

I think the reason for this is that you're giving away things to the church; Donate also fits that flavor.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2018, 07:06:51 pm »
+6

I've always read the theme of Chapel as being "the things you most want to trash are Curses, and so you go to the chapel to receive a blessing and remove your Curse". Which doesn't make so much thematic sense for trashing Coppers, or Estates.

(I suspect this theme makes some newbies slower to learn the power of trashing starting cards...)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1526
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:01 pm »
+1

Yeah there seems to be a bunch of different flavor elements associated with trashing. "Trashed things are dead" is one, and it's intuitively sensible but seems like a relatively late addition to the theme? The earliest clear trashing flavor is "trashing is associated with religion and the church (for some reason)", which applies at least to Chapel, Bishop, Altar, Temple, and Monastery. And then there's "trashing is commerce"ŚMoneylender, Trading Post, Trade Route, Loan, Trader, Mercenary.

I think the different "thematic skins" for trashing is an interesting thread on its own.

I always felt like Chapel evoked the desire to rid oneself of worldly possessions in an attempt to be more holy. With Bishop, Temple and Sacrifice, you have the option of trashing cards you own for points, which could be interpreted as some sort of divine reward. And of course Ritual puts a dark spin on this.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 01:27:50 am »
+6

I think the different "thematic skins" for trashing is an interesting thread on its own.

I always felt like Chapel evoked the desire to rid oneself of worldly possessions in an attempt to be more holy. With Bishop, Temple and Sacrifice, you have the option of trashing cards you own for points, which could be interpreted as some sort of divine reward. And of course Ritual puts a dark spin on this.

The reason I like Temple so much is because "what do you call a chapel that's also a monument?"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9655
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 11:50:04 am »
+7

**:
Wedding

really?
wedding is hyper flavorful!

1) throw a party, going into debt
2) get gifts from the guests
3) get tired of your wife, and decide to have another wedding the next turn
4) marry a few more times because, why not?

see it's perfect!

Wedding was more flavorful when it got you a Boon rather than +1 VP. You get a gift! Who knows what it will be.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
+2

I think Wedding's not that bad with the VP; at least, it makes it more similar to the thematically-similar Harem.

Also I just noticed that in the card art for Pooka, the pooka is handing the player cursed gold. "Here, you don't want to trash this, do you?"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.