Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Xerxes's cards  (Read 3241 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Xerxes's cards
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:17:38 pm »
+2

Hello everyone, I'm back!

I went through my old cards, found major problems with most of them, mocked up all the ones I didn't. Here they are. I might try to make it into a set some time, though I'm not sure.

Like Conclave or Imp, it's a fun way to do extra actions, and this is different from either of those.

A simple Peddler-, which works well with +buy.

Exchange makes this simpler, the cantrip makes it okay to buy late in the game, Reformer makes for some fun turns.

Unlike Harbinger, this is a terminal action, so you can play another terminal if the timing is bad. Good for reliability, perhaps a little weak.

One of my favorite cards in the set, surprisingly difficult to word optimally. You don't want to allow for end-of-game province gaining, but it might be too weak if only allowing kingdom cards. That's an option, though.

The last one, a little random, but the unreliability allows for its effect to be stronger which makes for a more fun experience.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:00:18 pm by XerxesPraelor »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Xerxes's cards
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »

It looks like the images aren't working well, maybe that's because ibb is a bad image host?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:43:19 pm by XerxesPraelor »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:53 pm »

It looks like the images aren't working well, maybe that's because ibb is a bad image host?

Well, I'd use Imgur, but that's not the problem. Right now you're just posting the link to an image, you're not actually linking it. IDK how to do that with Ibb, but here's one off Imgur:
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:32 am »
+1

Stamp Collector feels like it's needs something else. The main ability is just a nerfed version of "+3 actions", which is extra weird because it already gives +1 action by itself. Maybe if that first +1 action were +? If it's too strong; it could replace the buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:33:21 am »
+1

Stamp Collector feels like it's needs something else. The main ability is just a nerfed version of "+3 actions", which is extra weird because it already gives +1 action by itself. Maybe if that first +1 action were +? If it's too strong; it could replace the buy.

It's not necessarily limited to 3 Actions even when played as the first card of your turn. That said, the card will always allow playing at least 1 Action card, and so I agree it doesn't need the base +1 Action. I also like the idea of changing the Buy to a Coin.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:52 pm »
+1

It's not necessarily limited to 3 Actions even when played as the first card of your turn. That said, the card will always allow playing at least 1 Action card, and so I agree it doesn't need the base +1 Action. I also like the idea of changing the Buy to a Coin.

3 was a pretty arbitrary number I picked. I think it will be pretty rare that it's more than that though.

Also, I seem to remember seeing similar discussions before, but having you set aside cards in this way will get super messy pretty quickly when you use Stamp Collector to play a Stamp Collector. You'll have a pile of 3 set aside cards, and then another pile of 2 more set aside cards, and yet another pile of set aside cards... you have to remember which pile you are resolving when. I think it's one of the reasons that Golem can't play Golem.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:46:11 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:27:00 pm »

3 was a pretty arbitrary number I picked. I think it will be pretty rare that it's more than that though.

Also, I seem to remember seeing similar discussions before, but having you set aside cards in this way will get super messy pretty quickly when you use Stamp Collector to play a Stamp Collector. You'll have a pile of 3 set aside cards, and then another pile of 2 more set aside cards, and yet another pile of set aside cards... you have to remember which pile you are resolving when. I think it's one of the reasons that Golem can't play Golem.

It's not really worse than King's Court though, is it? At the very least what you see is what you get. No counting times of play.

Edit: I guess it's easier to get lots of and scales faster, though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:28:27 pm by Asper »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:46 pm »

If it doesn't have the +1 Action, it struggles badly when you have it and a terminal draw in hand. On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing to tone down the power? I'm worried about it becoming too weak without the +action.

Coin instead of buy sounds okay though.

It's much easier to get than King's Court, but also doesn't stack as well at all. I don't remember running into trouble testing it, but if saying 'non-stamp collector' is worth the text, that's a possible change.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:45:56 pm by XerxesPraelor »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:56 pm »

If it doesn't have the +1 Action, it struggles badly when you have it and a terminal draw in hand. On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing to tone down the power? I'm worried about it becoming too weak without the +action.

Coin instead of buy sounds okay though.

It's much easier to get than King's Court, but also doesn't stack as well at all. I don't remember running into trouble testing it, but if saying 'non-stamp collector' is worth the text, that's a possible change.

If the only other card in your hand is terminal draw (and you go with +Coin) it's a Copper, which is pretty bad. But not worse than e.g. Candlestick Maker's worst case is. Not sure it should exclude itself, but it seems to simplify things a lot.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:14 pm »

I'd recommend wording Stamp Collector as...
Stamp Collector
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action, +1 Buy. Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play each of your Action cards set aside by Stamp Collector cards in any order.
So that Stamp Collecting a Stamp Collector wouldn't create confusion since there is a singular pile of cards to be played by all your Stamp Collectors and no single Stamp Collector will ever resolve until it manages to play the entire pile.
If it is too strong, I'd cost it at $3. The "+2 Actions, +1 Buy" minimum I think is a good anti-frustration feature.

Transcribed for convenience:
Revolution
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+$2. Name a non-Victory card in the Supply. Each other player gains a copy of it. You may gain a non-Victory card costing up to $2 more.
Ignoring asymmetry issues with heterogeneous supplies and sufficiently depleted piles in multiplayer games--I played with Revolution before and found its ability to junk (by giving less useful $3\$4 cards) and gain $5 cards while simultaneously supplying economy ludicrous.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:03:50 pm »

Stamp Collector:I agree with the others that it's strange to have +1 Action on this, I understand that it means this is a village even with only 1 other action in hand but to me it just destroys all the tension that the fancy action playing ability has. I mean it only costs $2, so you don't want it to do everything for you. I don't love giving it +$1 myself, because this only costs $2, so you don't want it to give too much - it already has the ability to play 3+Actions fairly easily which is powerful! and also because this already draws comparison to Conclave and giving it +$ makes it even closer to Conclave.

Farmer: This is cute, I like it! It seems on the weaker side of things, but next to the nonsense of Cultist and Avanto a more toned down take on this mechanic is nice.

Monk/Reformer: I'm not a fan of Monk, I like Reformer as a super strong "hard to get" card, but if my opponent buys any Monks I'm probably just not touching the treasures for the rest of the game.

Caravel: This seems really weak to me, I think I'd rather have Merchant Ship unless I'm in desperate need of +buy and Merchant Ship sucks! Maybe the on-play could somehow feed into the duration effect so you'll always have cards in the discard pile?

Revolution: This seems broken to me? If there's a $2 in the supply this can give out Curses and gain that $2, while at the same time providing +$2, there are lots of things that make it even better than that, Potion being the most common one perhaps, but Masterpiece and Mint seem like good options too. Not to mention how quickly this can run out piles. It reminds me a bit of Jester, apart from it junks your opponent and gains you a good card at the same time.

Anatomist: This seems incredible once you've drawn your deck, but I suppose most Remodel-type cards are. But if you have 1 card in your discard pile you can just play a bunch of these and upgrade it all the way, or perhaps discard a Province and then just mill a ton of Provinces from the supply, you get the idea. It seems pretty generically strong tbh, I don't really think it needs the +1 action.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:34:29 am »

Farmers- +Buys with a decent amount of trashing makes farmer looks pretty good to me. But I can't really get a good read on it without playing with it.

Monk/Reformer- A plain cantrip doesn't seem great interesting or good to me. Great hall could be used to help throne room clone decks but there is a reason it got removed. Maybe if the trigger was something less ignorable like victory or action cards, but then it would probably be too good since Reformer seems nuts.

Caravel- I think you need a really unique or interesting idea for a pure, "put a card from your discard pile into hand" effect to work well in dominion. Caravel just nets -1 action when played but it seems like it could really set up your next turn if you have a key card in your discard pile. Rough card.

Stamp Collector- I enjoy the different way of gainning muit-actions, but a village without +1 card can be rough to use. Seems weak.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »

I proposed a card with the same mechanism as "Harvest Queen" in the Cornucopia design contest, and it was rightly pointed out that as interesting as the card may be, it's also hard to track nicely. Maybe if you made it like Archive, so that you put cards underneath it and have some system to let you play them from underneath it. But then you still need an incentive to do it that isn't just a nerfed +n Actions. It's one of those things that feels like there's a good idea in there but it's hard to make it work in an interesting but also playable way.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.