Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2017 Edition: $5 Cards, Part 2/3  (Read 15698 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2017 Edition: $5 Cards, Part 2/3
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:44 pm »

the thing is, vampire isn't a very good card at all. it should be in the bottom third.

I used to think that too. Now I’m not so sure. The Duchy-gaining is pretty nice. I mean that’s a card you’re actually happy to delay getting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 11:46:51 pm »
+1

the thing is, vampire isn't a very good card at all. it should be in the bottom third.

Couldn't disagree more.  I ranked it first on my list.  It non-terminally gains s and attacks.  Is there some other you want on the board?  There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't grab Vampire first.  The fact that you only get that every other play is a downside, but Bat is a decent trasher, and there's no reason not to get multiple Vampires.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 12:41:54 am »

Couldn't disagree more.  I ranked it first on my list.  It non-terminally gains s and attacks.  Is there some other you want on the board?  There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't grab Vampire first.
Well yeah there is.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 01:14:42 am »

Wow, there's a lot of big jumps on this list.
from mint list:
#82 Trade
#81 Triumph
#79 Storyteller
#75 Festival 
#64 City
#53 Soothsayer
#51 Knights
#38 Cobbler  (I've only played with this like twice)
#37 Embassy
#35 Legionary
#32 Bandit Camp
#28 Swamp Hag (overrated here I know)
#26 Jester (Yes, I have trouble separating fun cards from good cards sometimes, but I do quite often play 3-player and Jester gets way better with 3+ players.)

I know I underrated Storyteller and Festival a bit and (slightly) overrated a few others. I still have no idea about Cobbler really. Surprised we haven't seen Knights or Den of Sin yet.

PS: We'd have more voters if people realized how easy it is to keep last year's list, and base this year's list on that in order mode, just making some appropriate changes.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:55 am »

PS: We'd have more voters if people realized how easy it is to keep last year's list, and base this year's list on that in order mode, just making some appropriate changes.
I found the prospect of voting to be intimidating, given the large number of cards I've use 1-2 times, and the 4 sets worth of cards I've used never.  Yeah, I could click the "i don't know this card" a lot, but that made it feel more like work than fun.

Also, doesn't basing your voting on last years list create severe anchoring bias?  Obviously cards need to move, but many of them won't if you just maintain the status quo except where you make an intentional change.  Would the results be better if an additional 50 people voted using your strategy?

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 10:47:20 am »

Surprised we haven't seen Knights or Den of Sin yet.

Took me a while, but now I think Den of Sin is way better than Laboratory. Unless my deck specifically cares about "action cards" DoS is just always way better.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 03:25:12 am »

[regarding Legionary]

I'm glad the hype around this card died down a little. It takes a while until the attack part of this goes live, until then your opponent should have gotten plenty of draw to make of for the nasty attack. I expect this to fall a few more ranks over the next few years.

Man what the heck?? Sure, it's a bit harder to set up than other hand-size-reducing-attacks. But once it is.. man. Strong engines can usually connect 2 stop cards pretty easily.

Specifically, if this:

your opponent should have gotten plenty of draw to make of for the nasty attack

is draw that the player otherwise would have not gotten had it not been for Legionary .. is that not the very definition of a powerful card (i.e. affects what players do and how players think, solely because it exists in the kingdom)?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 09:09:31 am »

Couldn't disagree more.  I ranked it first on my list.  It non-terminally gains s and attacks.  Is there some other you want on the board?  There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't grab Vampire first.  The fact that you only get that every other play is a downside, but Bat is a decent trasher, and there's no reason not to get multiple Vampires.

I agree. Gaining 's is huge, especially when it also attacks. You also need to consider the fact that bat trashes, meaning that Vampire can do pretty much everything. I find that if you are drawing your whole deck, its nice to have 1 Bat and 1 Vampire so they just switch off every turn.

Her dress needs to be red, or at least not the same color as the background of the card.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.