Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: $3 Cost Card Rankings Bottom Half  (Read 27120 times)

muenstercheese

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: muenstercheese
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
$3 Cost Card Rankings Bottom Half
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »
+8

Disclaimer: this is my first time doing this, so there may be errors. I also a not very good so these can be slightly off.

Anyway, here are the cards, starting with Loan, the #29 card.

29. Loan A situational treasure card. Despite the fact that it often will skip your good cards, Loan can be a good early-game buy because it can help thin your deck by trashing coppers. A good use of Loan can be in a situation where one really needs the trashing, for example Mountebank. If there is a trash for benefit card it can be better, as one can get something good after trashing Loan once it becomes unneeded. However, one (usually) should only buy Loan if there are no cards which can do its tasks better in the Kingdom.

30. Expedition This event is good, as a larger hand size usually leads to a better turn, such as spiking a high amount of coins to buy an important card, such as KC, Prince, Altar or Province (to activate Tournament). It can also help set up a megaturn or add extra cards to an Outpost turn. However, this event is not good with handsize attacks in the Kingdom, because it draws cards during clean-up, and if one gets attacked before their turn, they lose the cards that Expedition gave them.

31. Wishing Well A decent card, but other cards have better effects while still being a $3 cantrip. This card encourages deck tracking, something which is not easy to do unless one’s deck is really thin or one knows the cards on one’s deck because of another card such as Navigator. Sometimes it’s better to fail at one’s wish, so that one can know one’s deck if one would like to play a Native Village/Lookout and not trash or set aside a good card.

32. Shanty Town Shanty Town is usually not worth it. In some cases, however, there can be things that make it better. One is attack cards being in the Kingdom. If a discard attack is in the Kingdom, it can cause one to have smaller hand sizes which may not have other Action cards in them, making Shanty Town to draw more than normal. Cursers also do this by giving one dead cards and decreasing the action density of one’s deck. Another situation is if Shanty Town is the only village, and there are important terminal cards which one needs to play several times a turn. Lastly, if one just has non-terminal cards, one can play their actions before Shanty Town, and draw cards that way.

33. Night Watchman This is a pretty good card, but only in certain cases. When one buys Night Watchman, it goes to one’s hand, so one can play it the turn one buys it – this makes it so that you can make your hand for next turn better. This also makes it a not that good but not terrible counter to attacks such as Sea Hag and Ghost Ship, which mess with one’s deck. However, the main idea of Night Watchman is that one can cycle one’s deck to get their buys faster.

34. Smugglers Not too much to say, it does exactly what it says it does: if one’s opponent is gaining cards that one also wants, one can use Smugglers to gain extra of that card. If one and one’s opponent are both trying to get the most cards out of one pile, Smugglers can speed that up. However, it cannot gain Potion-costs such as Familiar or Scrying Pool. Also, if one and one’s opponent are pursuing different strategies Smuggler will more often than not be a bad card to get.

35. Guide Not an interesting card, but Guide can be a pretty useful card in certain situations. One is when one’s opponent played a handsize attack, as it draws you 5 cards. Another is when one needs to draw a certain card. Multiple Guides can stack, so one could draw a new hand multiple times.

36. Merchant An OK card in the right circumstances. If one has multiple Merchants in play, then one can get a lot of coins. Most of the time, however, Merchant doesn’t do too much, as one doesn’t have Silver/has few Merchants.

37. Workshop An old card, but it can be great in certain games. It’s a really simple gainer, so there is not much to say about interactions. Useful in games where one wants many cards of $4 or less, or with cost-reducing cards such as Highway. Not very good because in most games one needs cards costing $5 or more, and Workshop cannot gain these cards.

38. Develop A quirky card. Most of the time this is a bad card, as it is terminal and slows cycling. There are many up- and even more downsides, so if you are really into this card, just read the wiki. The main parts are that it’s a terminal topdecking trash-for-benefit. It goes well with cards $2 apart, as it can gain them from a middle costing card.

39. Oracle A sifter which also has a Spy-like attack. It draws cards also, despite not having a clear +2 Cards at the top. It can be used to sift, as well as hurt one’s opponent’s deck. The best way to use Oracle is to make sure that one is drawing the best possible cards, as otherwise Oracle is a waste and you could’ve just as well gotten Silver.

40. Leprechaun This is just a fun card. If one wants to set up to get 7 cards, go ahead. However, one can only gain 1 Wish each turn, and most of the time it’ll just Hex the person playing it, making it like an Attack on themself. It also gains Gold, but that’s not really important in most games.

41. Farmers' Market This is a slow card, but it can be an amazing way of getting VP on certain boards. First off, it gives a buy, which can be great if there are no other cards that do that. More importantly, it gets VP. Every fifth time it is played, the person playing it gets 4VP. This make King’s Court and other cards like that good, as they enable one to get VP more often. It also can cause micro-management, where one wants to keep the VP on the pile just right, so they get it and their opponent doesn’t.

42. Oasis Oasis is not a power card. Nor is it weak. It gives $1 while reducing your handsize by 1 and not taking an Action. Oasis is better when the discard is good and worse when it is bad. For example, someone using a Double Tactician deck or draw-to-X will like Oasis, same when someone has Curses and no trashing. Likewise, when playing Big Money, one wouldn’t like to discard, as cycling is not important and they’re losing economy.

43. Gladiator Not much to say, as this is a new card. Basically if one has a card in one’s hand while one’s opponent doesn’t, trash this and get $1 more. The point of this card is to get to Fortune, which doubles one’s coins once a turn if they play it.

44. Storeroom A terminal sifter. It gives 1 Buy and has a Cellar-like action, then a Secret Chamber-like one. It’s good in decks with cards that like discarding, and it will also give at least $4 if one has a dead hand.

45. Vassal An interesting card, Vassal gives $2 and plays an Action card off of one’s deck. This rewards high action density. In some cases, you can choose to not play the card, eg. a Trade Route with no bad cards in hand.

46. Secret Cave Not much to say here. It is a cantrip, but if one discards 3 cards, they get $3 at the beginning of their next turn. The main part of this card is its Heirloom, Magic Lamp. Magic Lamp can gain Wishes, which in turn can gain cards costing up to $6. However, many players think that Magic Lamp makes games too swingy and so avoid playing with Secret Cave.

47. Trade Route A decent trasher, but only when there are no other trashers on the board. Occasionally it can be a good source of $, when Victory cards are being bought more than usual. This is usually Victory cards in the Kingdom or rarely Hoard, which can incentivize Duchies and Estates.

48. Caravan Guard A pretty bad card. It’s just a cantrip that gives $1 the next turn. It also has a reaction, which is that it can be played when one is attacked to get +1 Card and $1 the next turn.

49. Harbinger Harbinger is a cantrip, which usually favors engine-y types of decks. However, the ability to put something from your discard on top of your deck is not that strong in engines which can draw most of the deck. It is best in weak engines or Big Money without Terminal Draw. Also, it is stronger with cards that need many actions, mainly Conspirator or Vineyard.

50. Tunnel A cool card, but it’s rarely useful in most Kingdoms. It has neat interactions with discarding cards but other than that not a lot happens here.

51. Sage A card that seeks and plays Action cards. Overshadowed by other cards that do things such as trash or gain $ or help with an engine.

52. Fool A new card, but again, not very good. It gets Boons, but those aren’t very good. It comes with a Lucky Coin, which can be used to gain some Silvers, but those aren’t any good nowadays.

53. Banquet In one sentence: a $5 card is good, but the 2 Coppers are really bad.

54. Fortune Teller Terminal Silver that cycles one’s opponents deck most of the time.

55. Masterpiece A Copper for $3 that lets one overpay to gain Silver. Not good as Silver is usually bad, and can be bought directly instead of Masterpiece.

EDIT: A bit of formatting and grammar.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:45:09 pm by muenstercheese »
they / them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: $3 Cost Card Rankings Bottom Half
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:09:38 pm »

Aside from the formatting things that I expect others to mention... please fix the spelling of Farmers' Market. There is no card called Farmer's Market

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15700
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »
+13

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:39 pm »

Aside from the formatting things that I expect others to mention...

muenster, will you please number the cards by their actual ranking rather than 1-27? And put a blank line between each card's entry -- it's hard to read as all one paragraph.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:58:15 pm »

Aside from the formatting things that I expect others to mention...

muenster, will you please number the cards by their actual ranking rather than 1-27? And put a blank line between each card's entry -- it's hard to read as all one paragraph.

Check out the recent posts for the cards as a template to follow. It has pictures of the card; spacing between them; info about their change amount from the previous list, the averages, median, etc... lots of info that's missing here.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »

Loan, the #29 card.
some old meme

I mean, if Loan's ranking wasn't enough, surely this dank old meme will draw his presence.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:01:41 pm »
+2

The one card that I have never understood in these rankings is Watchtower, it's always rated way waaaay too high... I mean, it's a very cool card and it's still a good card that has has some flexibility, but it's far from being amazing like these rankings always suggest. It was one of the only two cards that I had in my bottom half that does not show up here (the other being Chariot Race at the precise cutoff point), and even if I may be underrating it, I would fully expect to see it here if I did not know the position it had reached on past lists...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:17 pm »

I realize that down in this part of the list there's probably not much difference between Develop's rank and Farmerses' Market's, but I feel pretty strongly that FM is the better card.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:40 pm »
+66

This is it, my chance to make one of these posts, to be the change I want to see in the thread. This is what people were looking for muenstercheese, plus those numbers. See it wasn't that hard. You quote someone else's and edit it. And then you get to talk about each card like you know something.

#55 Masterpiece (Guilds)

This went up or down some number of places. Well man it's last, it didn't go up. It has a standard deviation of some sort, yes I don't have the numbers, and now we have had this fun. So uh. Masterpiece. Some games it's good to get a lot of Silvers. Feodum is what you first think of. Often there are better things to do. Something has to be at the bottom.

#54 Fortune Teller (Cornucopia)

If you play multiple cards from Cornucopia, sometimes one of the other ones is Fairgrounds, and then you get this for that. If they can't trash their Estates or are taking on Curses it annoys them, it's the Relic attack. Relic is the fixed version and well that makes this the unfixed version. If they can trash their Estates then you make them shuffle, which tires them out and makes them easier to outthink.

#53 Banquet (Empires)

It's fun to gain Coppers when it's the move. Banquet tantalizes you with a turn one $5 you couldn't otherwise have, but of course it asks a lot in exchange.

#52 Fool (Nocturne)

I'm glad this is down here, where everyone can think, yeah, it must not be very good, no need to buy that slow card.

#51 Sage (Dark Ages)

I don't buy this much. The basic idea of drawing your good cards more often sounds good, and maybe the game will end once you have any Provinces, so you're never sad. I dunno, mostly I think of Sage as something to Procession on my way to better things.

#50 Tunnel (Hinterlands)

People go for this a lot, I mean if there's anything to do they do it. Obv. the smaller combos will break your heart, you wonder why you aren't drawing your Oasis with your Tunnel more often. If you are flipping over more cards, especially without drawing them e.g. Cartographer, it's nice.

#49 Harbinger (Dominion 2E)

You buy this when you don't want Silver, then see it endlessly miss. It can totally be good though, I mean you aren't always drawing your deck every turn, and always have cards you'd rather draw than other cards.

#48 Caravan Guard (Adventures)

When you're being attacked a lot, it's a Peddler, except you get a turn delay if you draw it mid-turn. When you aren't, okay, it's a delayed Peddler and I mean you can buy it over Silver like Harbinger and feel like it's always doing something. I dunno other people are more down on this than I am, but obv. it's way better when they're attacking you.

#47 Trade Route (Prosperity)

I guess this is testimony to the power of trashing even when it's bad? This is pretty bad, I mean uh. Normally you trash one card and get no +$. If it's the only trashing, sure, trashing is that good, but so often there is something else. Now some games people make it good for you, they can't help it, and man, okay, you get it then.

#46 Secret Cave (Nocturne)

Well I don't know what exactly the ranking sums up, what it says about say how often you get a card, but I almost always get this. The thing is it's always in a game with Magic Lamp. Odds are I want to pop that Lamp, I mean there are exceptions but they are rare. And Secret Cave is a 6th card on two turns. So, I get it. And then later, it may just cycle a lot, but sometimes you'll do it. Sometimes there's a combo, like Cursed Village.

#45 Vassal (Dominion 2E)

The Vassal deck is good times. The tricky part is that just any VP at all and it crumbles. You want to be aiming to just have that one big turn. And then you know, it's a super-cheap Grand Market without the +Buy and with less control and that a Contraband on Grand Markets doesn't stop you from getting and I could go on.

#44 Storeroom (Dark Ages)

Mic seems to get this all the time. And then draws back all the cards he discarded. I almost never get this. Sure, it can be your Ruined Market.

#43 Gladiator (Empires)

This low placement says something about how much people would like a straight +$3 terminal. Gladiator doesn't just do that, obv. turn 3 there's a good chance it's just +$2, and that turn matters a lot. But you know, it hits a fair amount. Someone has to get one to dig out the Fortunes, but everyone can get them once they're uncovered, and some games no-one wants to be the one.

#42 Oasis (Hinterlands)

I had a playtester who thought Oasis was too good relative to Silver, that you just always buy it over Silver. Time has not been kind to that perspective. It's generally decent though, I tend to get some.

#41 Farmers' Market (Empires)

It's the only +Buy, and you're like, ugh, okay. And then have to get another because maybe the first one will vanish on you. It's good though, I mean it creates this mini-game you may not want to play, where you want to be the one getting the big payoffs and how do you manage that exactly, but those big payoffs are worth getting. If someone else gets it, well, at least put some fear into them with your own copy.

#40 Leprechaun (Nocturne)

If you want Golds it's solid. It starts making them right away and the penalty isn't so bad. When you've got enough Golds, stop playing it. If you want Wishes, that doesn't just happen, though the pros are making it happen more than we were.

#39 Oracle (Hinterlands)

I hate Oracle. Just, way to ruin a playtest. Are you trying to find out how good Sheep is, oh I make you discard it this shuffle, oh again on the next shuffle, you are learning nothing about Sheep this game. It's slow too. And some games it's your weak draw, and you buy them up, and then we endlessly sit through them resolving and flipping over Sheep. Man.

#38 Develop (Hinterlands)

Develop is good times. In Hinterlands playtesting I endlessly opened Develop / Spice Merchant. If you draw them together, you Develop the Spice Merchant. If you draw Develop ahead of Spice Merchant, you turn Estate into Develop so you can Develop Spice Merchant next turn. And if you draw Spice Merchant first, that's fine, it's good, you do it. I'm not trying to get rid of the Spice Merchant, I just need something good to Develop. Anyway. Turning a $5 into a Border Village and a $4, that's another big one in Hinterlands games. It does a lot of tricks and is better than you think, but it's demanding too.

#37 Workshop (Dominion)

Workshop is great, you heard it here. It's +$4 +1 Buy that you can't combine. That's not exciting when you're trying to hit $8 or even $5, but it's fantastic when you want $4's. You want $4's so often. Villages are the big thing, then other strong cantrips.

#36 Merchant (Dominion 2E)

It's easy enough to connect that you tend to get some. It doesn't stand out but I mean it gets in on the action, and sometimes you have to worry, man do I have enough Silvers for this, I'm not drawing my deck, maybe I need another Silver.

#35 Guide (Adventures)

It's easy to get too many of these. The first one is pretty attractive, and there you are with $3 again. Obv. it's nice vs. Militias, though sometimes your 3 cards are better than a random 5. Sometimes you can get tricky ordering effects: call Ratcatcher to trash, call Guide for a new hand. You know.

#34 Smugglers (Seaside)

My favorite Seaside card. It's like the fixed version of Possession. It tends to give you ridiculous value, ridiculous I say, but of course sometimes they didn't get what you wanted, and it's hard to smuggle Provinces (but I know a guy who can get a Duchy across the border for you). The classic situation was, someone buys Pirate Ship, and the next player stares and stares, and stares and stares, and finally plays Fishing Village and two Smugglers and buys a 3rd Pirate Ship dammit, is this what you wanted.

#33 Night Watchman (Nocturne)

It feels underrated, but I guess we'll see. One big trick is, you open Silver / Night Watchman, and turn 3 you have $5. There's no luck involved; if they don't have an attack or something, that's that, you are guaranteed $5. There's no, what if you shuffle that Feast to the bottom. It's not great in multiples, and of course there's that long list of cards that don't like Night cards. But uh it's pretty good to have one a lot of the time. Late in the game you'll get one to avoid a dud turn. It's a lot of Cartographering for the price and instant access.

#32 Shanty Town (Intrigue)

When it's not a bad Village (which is still a Village so there's that), it can be a tricky Lab. Man people know about Shanty Town, right?

#31 Wishing Well (Intrigue)

She's a well wisher and she wishes you well. The big trick is to wish for what you want, instead of always your most common card. I mean sometimes you should just wish for your most common card, but, not always. I get it a fair amount, but I guess we're nearing the middle, and the top will be crazy cards. A lot of the obvious combos don't actually work, so eventually I made Mystic, where they did work, and then finally Secret Passage, which actually works with it.

#30 Expedition (Adventures)

It's a pretty sweet option on an extra buy. You can forget it's there and not be too sad, and Militias can hose it, but uh, it's pretty ubiquitously useful.

#29 Loan (Prosperity)

What can I say that wasn't said better in the police dossier. Loan is there for you, except when it isn't. Ideally you have no non-Copper Treasures. Then if you flip your good actions you are sad, but still getting to trash Coppers you didn't have to pass on playing. If you have the gall to open Silver / Loan it will endlessly seek out the Silver for you, and if you open Loan / Loan, it will seek out the Loan, that's just how it goes. As usual with Copper-trashers, it's better if something else is there to take out the Estates. Casual players don't like it or Lookout, so they weren't great to make, but I buy them plenty.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:46 pm »

Thank you, Donald. That's much easier to read.

Wow, a lot of underrated cards. Secret Cave, Gladiator, Night Watchmen, and Wishing Well should all be higher.
(I underrated Secret Cave. I learned how good it was after we did the ratings.)

Also, I can't believe we haven't seen Doctor yet. The only reason it can't cost $2 is it would make the overpay too strong.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:55:19 am »
+1

Thank you, Donald. That's much easier to read.

Wow, a lot of underrated cards. Secret Cave, Gladiator, Night Watchmen, and Wishing Well should all be higher.
(I underrated Secret Cave. I learned how good it was after we did the ratings.)

Also, I can't believe we haven't seen Doctor yet. The only reason it can't cost $2 is it would make the overpay too strong.
Doctor is one of the quickest thrashers early on.
First shuffle it usually trashes two cards without reducing your hand size. It is kinda like mint that on a 5/2 is great.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:33 am »

Man, Loan isn't even the most underrated card on this list. Trade Route is.

Develop, Loan and Night Watchman are definitely very underrated too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 02:08:11 am »
+1

Develop seems pretty low for what it does. I open it surprisingly often.

I don't have a lot of experience with Night Watchman, but it also seems underrated. It's not just that Silver/Night Watchman guarantees $5 on turn 3, it also guarantees that the $5 you buy is shuffled in and potentially drawn on turn 4, because all your Coppers and Estates from turn 2 miss the reshuffle that Night Watchman triggers.

Storeroom is too low, but I could be forgetting what $3s are in the top half. It's rarely the key for anything, but it's nice early, and nice late. The main issue is that it's annoying to keep around in the middle.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:36:07 am »

I wouldn't put storeroom above any of the cards above it. Except maybe farmers market and oracle.

Maybe I haven't been burned by hexes enough times but I think Leprechaun is possibly the most underrated card here. It's pretty sweet in money payload games and in more engine based games the 7 card requirement is more achievable.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:48 am »
+2

Surely someone can make a meme about

1. Donald giving strategy advice
2. Donald talking trash about his cards

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 05:10:35 am »

This list makes me appreciate how well done the 3$- section is. Neither of this cards is a true dud for me. Some I haven't learnt to utilize (Develop, I'm looking at you), some creates games that is less fun, but I think all cards on this list have their true uses and not too seldom either. Mastercard last? Boy.
S

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 05:53:53 am »
+6

Mastercard last? Boy.

VISA is clearly better.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 08:47:25 am »

Sorry, is this the real ranking?  Where are all the arrows and place changes and percentages and stuff?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 09:43:16 am »

Sorry, is this the real ranking?  Where are all the arrows and place changes and percentages and stuff?

You may want to read the first post, and Donald's post.

Seems you are somebody else wanting a change.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:09 am »
+5

Okay.  Big winners here are Loan (+10), Workshop (+10) and Develop (+5).  Big losers are Gladiator and Guide (both -9).

EDIT: Unless I'm counting these changes wrong, which is possible.  Anyone want to check my numbers?  Got it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:10:59 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 11:02:29 pm »

Workshop should not have gotten bumped up; it's a bad card. The money you spend on it and the space it takes up in your deck are usually not worth whatever cheap cards you gain with it.

I rated Fool a lot higher, but I'm willing to believe I overrated it because I've barely played with it. Honestly, the main reason I rated it as high as I did is because your opponent gets Lost in the Woods for the rest of the game if you don't contest it (which is the main reason I dislike this card.)

Farmer's Market and Leprechaun are definitely underrated.

The most underrated $3 card, though, is Gladiator. In the mid-game you can usually hit reliably with it. A terminal Gold for $3 is nuts.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:27 am »
+2

Workshop should not have gotten bumped up; it's a bad card. The money you spend on it and the space it takes up in your deck are usually not worth whatever cheap cards you gain with it.

Well, it shouldn't be above Trade Route or Develop, but other than that, the cards below it aren't anything amazing either. In the right kingdom, Workshop is super useful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:33 am »
+9

This is it, my chance to make one of these posts, to be the change I want to see in the thread.

Ummm, can Donald X do ALL of these lists next year?

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 01:25:37 pm »
+2

The $3's seem the most balanced bottom half of all price points to me. Masterpiece and Fortune Teller really aren't that bad. I buy them way more often than say Duchess, Begger, Pirate Ship, B-crat, Stash, Cache. Heck, I think Fortune Teller would still be stronger than Navigator if Navigator was $3.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »

The $3's seem the most balanced bottom half of all price points to me. Masterpiece and Fortune Teller really aren't that bad. I buy them way more often than say Duchess, Begger, Pirate Ship, B-crat, Stash, Cache. Heck, I think Fortune Teller would still be stronger than Navigator if Navigator was $3.

Interesting observation. I have Fortune Teller as the bottom $3, but have it above 22 other cards in the full ranking. I didn't put it above Navigator though.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.