Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users  (Read 7383 times)

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Join the Dominion League!

Buffy604

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Buffy604
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:50:58 am »

Hi there.  Thanks for this opportunity.  Personally, I love playing dominion in person as well as online.  So this is great. 
 1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

I’m not that interested in campaigns, although I enjoyed them in the old version. 

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Yes, if it was possible!

3. A strong bot.
Yes please!  I’m shy so I usually play with bots. 

4. Options for timed games
I don’t need this but I can see how it would be very useful. 

5. Options for undo settings
I don’t need this much either. 

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Again, I can see the value but I wouldn’t use it much myself.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Yes.  This would be nice. 

8. More translations (to what language?)
Not needed for me. 

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
I’m not fussy and I don’t need fancy animation.  I just want a fun game and animations that don’t affect play aren’t necessary to me. 

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
it seemed ok to me.

10. Option to hide the log
Yes please.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Not for me.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Yes!

13. Downloadable game logs
Not that necessary for me. 

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse,
Not necessary for me.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
Nope but I can see its value. 

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Again, nope but I can see the value. 

Thanks!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:12:31 am »

Since I've started using the system again, might as well give some feedback. :)

Would I use...

- Yes, and also just random games / cage matches / etc
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles - Probably not, just a stronger bot would be fine.
3. A strong bot. - Yes
4. Options for timed games - No, especially not if the game doesn't run more smoothly
5. Options for undo settings - Probably not, the current undo function works for me
 6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - Maybe, if I had more friends that also played Dominion Online or if I decide to rejoin the Dominion League
 7. Option to invite specific players to your table - Maybe, if I rejoin the League
8. More translations (to what language?) - No
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... - No, especially not if the game doesn't run more smoothly
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... - Yes, that would be great
10. Option to hide the log - No
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - No
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - No
13. Downloadable game logs - Yes, absolutely. It's rather annoying that there is no way to retrieve the log after finishing the game.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) - No, mainly because I fear people will use it against me. I get accused of slowrolling fairly often, partially because I like to think my moves through and partially because the system is still pretty slow and laggy.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - No
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. - Maybe just once to see if there's anything I missed

Honestly the main issue for me is still lag, although it might be less terrible than a year ago (or I've just gotten used to it, not sure).
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:25:43 am »

Thx for this opportunity :)
What I would really like to have is the possibility to play against an AI that is able to build engines. It doesn‘t have to be supergood, but I would appreciate if it feels like playing against a human.

- Yes
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles Not necessarily
3. A strong bot. - Definitely, yes!
4. Options for timed games - No
5. Options for undo settings - Yes, sounds good
 6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. - No
7. Option to invite specific players to your table Yes! That would be very nice.
8. More translations (to what language?) - No
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... Not necessary
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... It would be nice, but not important
10. Option to hide the log - No
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) - No
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) - Yes
13. Downloadable game logs Yes.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) No, it‘s fine as is.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion - No
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. No

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »
+3

All these people not wanting better animations are going to be the death of this game.

Players who aren't experts should be able to see what's happening without referencing the log constantly. Right now that's not the case.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:13:23 pm »
+4

All these people not wanting better animations are going to be the death of this game.

Players who aren't experts should be able to see what's happening without referencing the log constantly. Right now that's not the case.

Stef specifically said that he wants "your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others". My personal wish is that I could disable or speed up the animations.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:31:02 am »
+2

Stef specifically said that he wants "your own personal wishes, not what you think is best for others". My personal wish is that I could disable or speed up the animations.
Well LF didn't say people shouldn't have answered the question the way they answered it.  He almost explicitly called out a sampling bias, which can exist even when feedback per individual is being rendered in a totally appropriate way.

JKRich

• Steward
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:56:15 pm »
+1

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. Are the animations too fast? Yes! Are the animations too slow? Yes! How can both be true at the same time? I'm collecting my thoughts to make a detailed case on how they would best work, but as a preview the current 1 by 1 movement of every single card seems ineffective and inefficient. It doesn't reflect IRL play, unless you know someone who always moves their cards at clean-up from their hand & play area to their discard pile 1 by 1 :-[  ??? and just seems like a huge waste of time. I can't imagine that most of those who don't want to "wait for animations" wouldn't want this eliminated - I'm on the other side, and I sure do. I don't need end-of-turn animations at all, but if they're there moving hand/played cards quickly into a single pile then quickly to the discard pile at least makes some visual sense. OTOH, for those wanting to be able to follow the action w/o constant log referencing, a simple slider bar, say above a player's info box, to control animation speed of cards played seems an obvious choice. Wouldn't this be simple to program? I assume there's a parameter for current animation speed with a set value (OK, maybe 2 for wait v don't wait) which could easily be made into a variable.

There's more details to come, but from what I've read at least some of the concerns about "better animations" have to due with concerns about performance -- yet "better" doesn't completely mean "more intricate and involved and resource hogging" here, it could also mean streamlining what's there now to be more effective/efficient.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:29 pm »
+3

When I wrote "better card animations" most readers interpreted it as "more animations" or even "more MF-like animations".
And then they said please no.

While I agree with most of your ideas here, I don't quite understand the pessimism.
"The lack of good animations has been a serious hurdle for inexperienced players" - yes.
"The game could have grown significantly more if we had great animations" - again yes.
"The game will die without them" - no.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. Are the animations too fast? Yes! Are the animations too slow? Yes! How can both be true at the same time? I'm collecting my thoughts to make a detailed case on how they would best work, but as a preview the current 1 by 1 movement of every single card seems ineffective and inefficient.

I think these two things are important to get better animations:

1. Animate cardmoves in batches, which means a bunch of cards can move from zone A to zone B simultaneously.
   - add the next card to animate to the current batch if
      a) it wasn't moved already in this batch.
      b) the target zone isn't used as a source zone in this batch.
      c) the source zone isn't used as a target zone in this batch.
   - otherwise, start a new batch

2. Animate batches of cardmoves that alter the ownership of a card in some special way.

If I would compare it to the current situation, in general it would slow down. Lots of movements currently aren't animated at all.
Some things would go faster (like fortune teller flipping your entire deck)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:00:19 am »
+1

Oh man. Yesterday evening I played a Counting House/Travelling Fair game. It took forever just to get those 53 Coppers in play. And yes, I did click the 'play all treasures' button.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:31 am »
+4

Oh man. Yesterday evening I played a Counting House/Travelling Fair game. It took forever just to get those 53 Coppers in play. And yes, I did click the 'play all treasures' button.
I tell you, sitting through the speed of that game was not nearly as annoying as having forgotten that Counting House/Travelling Fair was a combo. I got well and truly crushed there.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 12:53:56 am »
+1

My kitten finds the current animations fascinating.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:38 pm »

Hi all, I have skipped an episode or two and I haven’t found where to ask this, so sorry if it’s the wrong place and/or has been asked hundreds of times.

I had bought Dark ages and Guilds on Goko, been able to use them on D.G in 2017.
So now that it’s 2018, I can’t play offline with them until September or so because schedule has been delayed?

Thanks for the replies.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
+3

You are free to have your own view on things. I can understand they feel that way to you.

From my point of view, you had a deal with another company and that deal ended.
(even though they promised you it would not)
That's the reason you don't have expansions on dominion online right now.
You had them in 2017 because I was nice.

kind regards,
Stef

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 06:11:19 am »

You missed my point, this is not my own view, my post was not at all judgemental or anything. I was just asking for information because I haven’t been following things lately.

Unless I’m mistaken:
- in 2017 I read that at the beginning of 2018, we would have the option to either still be able to play with these expansions against AIs or… [can’t remember the other option].
- I’ve read somewhere else that this option was postponed to around September 2018.

Did I get anything wrong?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:59 am »

The offline version doesn't exist yet, so you can't play offline.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »

I meant online against AIs sorry.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:50 am »

I meant online against AIs sorry.

I don't think that was ever a thing. Originally, you were supposed to get a choice between using the cards online in 2017 only or using them offline forever, but that didn't work out as planned because the offline version didn't exist, so what happens instead is that everyone got the free year of online and when the offline version comes out some time in the future, we'll get that for free too.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:42 am »

Thanks for the very clear reply. And do we have a rough idea when that would be in the future (maybe that Sep-Oct thing I read about)?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:49 am »

Thanks for the very clear reply. And do we have a rough idea when that would be in the future (maybe that Sep-Oct thing I read about)?

It was estimated for fall 2018, so that's probably what you read about.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:19 am »

I don't think I qualify for anything but I'll do the survey anyway for funsies

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Probably

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
Probably

3. A strong bot.
Heck yes!

4. Options for timed games
Probably not

5. Options for undo settings
Probably

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
Probably not

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Conceivably, but probably not

8. More translations (to what language?)
No

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Meh

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
Sure

10. Option to hide the log
Maybe

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Heck yeah!

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
Nope

13. Downloadable game logs
Maybe

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
Probably not

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
I think I've got an idea by now

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
Probably not
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.