Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thunderstone on Facebook  (Read 3829 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Thunderstone on Facebook
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »

For those who like Thunderstone (or wanted to try it out without an investment), there is a Facebook app that allows you to play Thunderstone. It has the AEG logo all over it, so it's pretty official (not to mention that one of my friends is a writer for AEG and he and his wife are on the leaderboard, and I'd think he'd say something to his boss if it's a counterfeit).

As far as I can tell, you only have access to a pretty limited number of village/monster/adventurer cards. You can buy bundles of other cards. From what I've seen, the bundles are $1.50 to $2.50.

So, if you like Thunderstone—or are Thunderstone-curious—and have a Facebook account, go check it out.

There is a multiplayer option, but I've never tried it. I'm curious if it's real-time gaming like Isotropic or if it's turn-based like Words with Friends. I hope it's real-time, because I can't imagine trying to remember which cards I bought in five different games that take days to play.

The tutorial looked neat, but I quickly skipped it. Since I already knew the game, I got bored. I'd love to hear from a new player if the tutorial helped. I remember that the original Thunderstone rulebook was atrociously written, so this has to be a huge step up.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderstone on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »

Hiya, at your request I went to have a look, as Ive never played this before.

The tutorial was a tiny bit bare, but I consider myself a bit of a veteran at these sorts of games so I picked it up quickly. Although a new comer might struggle a bit for a few games. It doesnt tell you what the values on the cards are buying stuff and the like.

The multiplayer is real time, I started one without even realising I was playing a real person! It wasn't till he also started trashing early that I knew something was up!

Im not sure its got much longetivity to it though, as right away I see you need to buy additional packs of cards, presumably if you want to keep competitive with other players.

Was fun for the last hour or so though.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:54 pm »

I am a new player to Thunderstone who got hooked via the Facebook app.  I still haven't "figured out" Thunderstone, except that it's patently not Dominion.  In Dominion you're pretty much always and only focused on building economy. But in Thunderstone you have a money economy, a fighting economy, and a winning economy and you have to build those things at least somewhat concurrently and sometimes the goals are counter-productive to one another (since heroes don't produce money and monsters don't help you fight, except when they do). So I find myself flailing a lot and absolutely never feeling like I'm playing optimally, even against the AI.

My one big complaint about the campaigns on the app are that the five-player games are a joke.  It's pure dumb luck that you even get a shot at the high-point monsters with that many players, or even at leveling up the good heroes before they sell out. And you can't go on with the campaign until you luck into a win on those games. Very frustrating.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »

Also, question. Do only monsters produce VP, or do top-level heroes also?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:56:44 am »

Top level heroes do.

Seems fairly easy game against ai, trash militia and daggers to buy replacements, although first thing to do is buy the 5 cost food. Or fight monsters that et rid of your bad cards mentioned above. Save vp for the cost 9 hero and the card drawing clerics
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

I would agree that Thunderstone is patently not Dominion. It definitely is based on the same deck-building mechanic, but the gameplay is significantly different.

There are more levels to consider in Thunderstone. You have to manage money, combat values, weight, experience, and light. Then you throw in oddball monsters that make certain attacks less effective (like immunity or half damage from edged weapons or magic). On the one hand, the greater need for detail introduces very interesting dynamics to consider. On the other hand, this can lead to dumb luck dominating the game.

I have played the actual game before, so I have some experience to share. The five-player game is very swingy. While I enjoy playing five-player games, I acknowledge that four heroes to choose from can be problematic. It's not very easy to find yourself shut out of the heroes, but it's certainly possible. I saw a variant suggestion that the number of hero cards should be N+1 where N is the number of players. It's a neat idea, but they clearly aren't using that for the Facebook app. And in a 5-player game, I've learned that what's in the dungeon at the end of your turn is likely not going to still be there on your next turn. Thunderstone probably is more stable with 3 players…possibly 4. With 5 players, it can be pretty chaotic (especially if you have heroes that "attack" other players).

But, building up money and building up combat are indeed counter to each other. What I've learned to do is to buy village cards that provide 2 or 3 coins. Try not to buy a 1 coin unless it's really vital for dungeon spelunking. As mentioned, Feast is a great card for dungeons that also provides good buying power. Those cards that have no money should probably not be bought until you are ramping up for entering the dungeon. This also includes the heroes. In general, I don't buy an hero until after the second shuffle.

VPs are gained from monsters and from Tier 3 heroes. There are also some village cards that provide VPs (Goodberries come to mind), but I did not see any of those in the "starter" configuration. In general, I seriously consider any monster worth 3+ VP. If it's worth 6 or more, I'll skip the village entirely. I normally do not like cluttering my deck with 1 or 2 VPs unless they provide a dungeon benefit.

When I first played Thunderstone, I had the mindset of, "If I can afford to get something in the dungeon, go for it. Otherwise, go shopping." I've changed my tune since then. I let other players pick off the 1 VP scabs. I won't open the way for my opponent to get a high-VP monster. Of course, if all the players sit back and wait for someone else to finish off a 1-VP monster, then it becomes a Mexican standoff that makes the PPR seem tame in comparison. Also, I feel more comfortable about "wasting" my first few turns burning away Militia as my only action that turn. Naturally, I prefer destroying Militia by attacking certain monsters or by using village cards (Trainer, for example).

Fun game, but it is swingier. The theme is right up my alley, though.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 20 queries.