Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Royal Carriage and Crown  (Read 2604 times)

Earl

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Earl
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Royal Carriage and Crown
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:09:11 pm »
+7

I created an account just to post this rules question. That's how confused I am. I searched all the FAQs I could find; my apologies if I missed looking somewhere obvious.

Royal Carriage says that it must be called "directly after you finish" playing an action, but there is some disagreement between myself and an opponent as to what "directly after" means.

If know that if play Crown-[Some Action] I can still call my Royal Carriage on the Crown, allowing me to double-play a second Action card from my hand. Playing [Some Action] doesn't interrupt the "directly after" thing as I understand it.

The question that arose was this. Imagine I have a Royal Carriage on my tavern mat and a three card hand of Crown-[Some Action]-[Some Treasure]. Can I play Crown, play the action in my hand twice, then immediately call Royal Carriage to double the treasure? I think the question boils down to whether or not saying "Hey everyone, it's my buy phase now" ends the portion of the turn that is "directly after" playing the Crown.

My gut says that you can't do this - and Dominion Online seems to agree - but I need help convincing an opponent. Is the first treasure you play "directly after" the last action that you play?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Carriage and Crown
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:18:51 pm »

Welcome to the forums... great question! I haven't seen this come up or be discussed before.

I'm almost sure the answer is "no"... the problem is that moving to your buy phase should be something that requires you to be done doing whatever you are currently doing. The original rulebook says this:

"The Action phase ends when the player cannot or chooses not to play any more Action cards." I'm not sure if the second edition changes that sentence at all. Even though this refers specifically to "playing" Action cards, I think that doing something like calling Royal Carriage would fit within the category of things that the rulebook is talking about here. So in order to move to your buy phase, you would have to be done with playing actions, as well as be done with calling cards that you call after playing actions.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:19:46 pm »

A related question:

Since Crown is an Action-Treasure card, can Royal Carriage still be called after playing Crown in the buy phase?

Crown doesn't stop having Action be part of its type just because it's the Buy phase.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:21:19 pm by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:22:41 pm »
+5

Royal Carriage says that it must be called "directly after you finish" playing an action, but there is some disagreement between myself and an opponent as to what "directly after" means.
It's after you finish doing what the card does when played, and before playing another card.

The question that arose was this. Imagine I have a Royal Carriage on my tavern mat and a three card hand of Crown-[Some Action]-[Some Treasure]. Can I play Crown, play the action in my hand twice, then immediately call Royal Carriage to double the treasure? I think the question boils down to whether or not saying "Hey everyone, it's my buy phase now" ends the portion of the turn that is "directly after" playing the Crown.
If you say "hey it's my Buy phase now," you are passing up on the chance to use Royal Carriage on that card (or Coin of the Realm).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:23:06 pm »

A related question:

Since Crown is an Action-Treasure card, can Royal Carriage still be called after playing Crown in the buy phase?

Crown doesn't stop having Action be part of its type just because it's the Buy phase.
Yes, Crown doesn't stop being an Action, thus, you can use Royal Carriage on one in your Buy phase.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »

It wouldn't actually do anything though, right?

You can call it after an Action card is played to replay THAT Action.  If you play an Action card that doesn't result in an Action being taken, such as Crown in the buy phase, what Action is it that can be replayed?

EDIT: Never mind, it does result in an Action being taken.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:41:01 pm by ObtusePunubiris »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 07:35:53 pm »

It wouldn't actually do anything though, right?

You can call it after an Action card is played to replay THAT Action.  If you play an Action card that doesn't result in an Action being taken, such as Crown in the buy phase, what Action is it that can be replayed?

Crown. It's an Action/Treasure.

What it IS doesn't depend on when it is played, only what it DOES when played.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:37:15 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:41 pm »

I know it's always an Action card. I was just mis-remembering how the card does what it does and thought there was some need to differentiate between an Action Card and an Action. I see that there is not.

Earl

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Earl
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:32 pm »
+6

The creator of my favourite game just responded to my post . . . what a world!

Thanks, Donald X.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.