Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Nocturne: Yay or nay?  (Read 10450 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Re: Nocturne: Yay or nay?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 03:16:57 am »
+3

I'd say Yay.  Every expansion (excluding promos) have the "core basics" covered: cards that give you +Actions, +Buys, +Cards, +coins, and a variety of trashers (including self trashers).  Noct. is no exception.  It also has some extras that are common, but not necessarily in every set, like alt Treasures (Idol), alt Victory cards (Cemetery), Reaction (Faithful Hound), Cursers (Idol, 2 of the Hexes), and Attacks

It's also managed to revisit previous beloved mechanics and features...
Duration = Secret Cave, Duration + Night
variety a la Cornucopia = Conclave, Imp
On-Buy/Gain effects a la Hinterlands = Skulk, Cursed Village, Blessed Village
gained cards go into hand = Night Watchmen, Ghost Town, Guardian, Cobbler
"play any number of cards" = Night cards don't have "points" associated with them, so you may play ANY number of them (akin to Treasure)

defense cards = Guardian
hybrid types = Werewolf is the only Action + Night
"This is not in the supply" = Imp, Bat, Will-O-Wisp
"action multiplier" = Ghost
deck of cards that are random a la Dark Ages = Boons and Hexes
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:56:57 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 10:39:38 pm »

Yay as long as you have a few other sets.

When you have kingdoms with a lot of Night, it cuts down on the interestingness of the action phase. Also, lots of the cards have auxiliary cards you need to use (spirits, heirlooms, hexes, boons, states), and if you have too many, it gets overwhelming.

jonvs

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonvs
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 09:30:58 am »
+1

I am also of the “meh” opinion. I’ve played probably 20-30 games of it online so I could get familiar with it first. Would I buy it? Maybe eventually, but it won’t likely be the next expansion I’ll get. Here’s why:

1. Really my biggest reason is that it feels like a fan expansion, since it goes in so many directions thematically. The zombie/vampire/ghost theme changes the genre of the game series from historical fiction to fantasy, which is a bit disappointing, even though it doesn’t affect gameplay. (I know there were a bunch of magic-themed cards, especially in Alchemy, but those still felt almost Arthurian.)
2. It introduces 7 new card types, not all of which are necessary, in my opinion (Zombies, Spirits, etc.)
3. Boons are a good idea in theory, but if you apply them randomly, it’s difficult to strategise too much, and if you get to choose them, I personally prefer to buy a card that has a guaranteed effect each turn just in case your favourite boon doesn’t resurface.
4. Hexes are too swingy depending on the draw. Greed only gives you a copper to your deck, whereas Misery can cost you 4 victory points.
5. The Heirlooms are cool, if perhaps a bit predictable (after Ruins/Shelters in Dark Ages). But they’re a nice change to setup.
6. I like the idea of the extra turn phase after the buy (Night), and some of the Night cards are kinda fun.

Ultimately, it gets a “not bad” rating for me. So many of the other expansions add more to the gameplay, in my opinion, than Nocturne, but I wouldn’t object to Nocturne cards being added to the Kingdom of a new game.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 10:39:03 pm »

I voted Yay.  My wife and I are still getting through all of the new cards. In fact, we actually haven't played with Fool yet, which seems to be everyone's least liked card.  I really enjoy having the new Night phase and Heirlooms, in particular.  I also enjoy the "not in the supply" cards.  I just wish more cards made use of them.  Boons are nice, but not earth-shattering. I find Hexes to be interesting, but maybe too widely variant in their negative impact.  Still, I like the idea of a variant attack that changes throughout the game and thus is immune to just building up some common counterpunches, like trashers for cursing attacks, etc.

Overall, as others have said, any time Donald X provides us with new cards is a wonderful treat.  So thanks Donald for continuing to stretch the boundaries of Dominion and challenge our preconceptions and self-conceived limits we may place on the game.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 10:52:58 pm »
+1

In fact, we actually haven't played with Fool yet, which seems to be everyone's least liked card.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the thing everyone doesn't like about it is the game-lengthening.  if you don't mind that it draws out the game a bit, try it out!
Also, if you usually only play 2 player, it doesn't lengthen the game anywhere near as badly as 4 player games.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 02:08:45 am »

In fact, we actually haven't played with Fool yet, which seems to be everyone's least liked card.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the thing everyone doesn't like about it is the game-lengthening.  if you don't mind that it draws out the game a bit, try it out!
Also, if you usually only play 2 player, it doesn't lengthen the game anywhere near as badly as 4 player games.

I'd say the game-lengthening is more of a way how Fool's issues affect the game in the end. Those issues would be it being fiddly, having a lot of assets to learn, and causing analysis paralysis. Personally I dislike the fact that, besides the fact that Fool is already a Fate card and rather random, how much it does for you depends on when you draw it - in a game where you lack control over that thanks to Lucky Coin. But nobody else seems to mind, maybe because they feel that Nocturne requires a higher tolerance towards randomness either way. In the end, the randomness is still more mild than with Hexes, but boy do you think and move stuff for those little differences..

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 04:41:18 am »

The thing I don't like about Fool is that it's so weak nobody ever buys it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »
+3

I love when my opponent ignores Fool entirely and there's also some sort of trash for benefit available so I can quickly get Lost in the Woods and then remove Fool from my deck.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 05:54:13 pm »

I love when my opponent ignores Fool entirely and there's also some sort of trash for benefit available so I can quickly get Lost in the Woods and then remove Fool from my deck.

I love when my opponent buys a Fool and then they have to waste their TfB on that instead of getting rid of junk that was already in their deck to begin with.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.