Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Nocturne: Yay or nay?  (Read 10447 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Nocturne: Yay or nay?
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »

So Nocturne has been out for about two months now, and we've all had a decent chance to play around with it.  There have been some threads about certain cards, and there was Tom Vasel's pouty review.  So I figured, let's put it to a poll.  Do you like Nocturne?

Personally, I do like it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Nocturne: Yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:56:02 pm »
+2

At the end of the day, it's more cards, and I enjoy playing with them. Actually, there are fewer cards in the set I would put on a banlist than in some other sets, so by that metric I think it's doing well. I love lots of the cards! Some of the mechanics aren't top shelf Dominion, but I mean, neither were Potions and somehow we're still okay.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:10:30 pm »

I just got Nocturne and Empires a couple weeks before Christmas. So far, I've enjoyed the Nocturne cards a bit more than the Empires cards, but I'm enjoying both a bit less than Adventures and Dark Ages.

Although, my Adventures cards being warped/curled still bothers me quite a lot.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:43:16 pm »
+2

Absolutely, I like it.  It isn't perfect.  It isn't my favorite expansion.  It is, however, very good and lots of fun.

I've said before that I've enjoyed every expansion to date and will therefore continue to buy anything Donald designs for this game until such time as he gives me a reason not to.  Nocturne is not even close to that.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 11:53:12 pm »
+1

I really like Nocturne. Nights, Heirlooms, and extra cards are amazing. Boons and Hexes aren't as great, but they're still fun.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:47 am »

Nocturne has a lot of card I like. Boons and Spirits are really cool. Night cards are a new angle to think about. Maybe a couple of cards are bizarre or roundabout, like Vampire and Tormentor, but overall I like the expansion. I wouldn't say it's my favourite though.

Still, I've really come around to Empires, despite the now apparent "power creep" it brings along with Adventures.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:46 am »
+2

I say Yay!

I've gotten every expansion as they come out, and each one improved the playability of the game, for me/us. We have always seen Dominion and all of it's expansions as a single game, so I don't have a favorite expansion.

Nocturne adds a lot of new twists and turns. It adds complexity.

We're not 'picky' about supposed good/bad cards, so everything that's been added in each expansion has made the game more enjoyable for us. After about 15 games I have nothing more to say other than that Nocturne is another great addition to an already great game.

Thanks, DVX.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:12 am »
+1

It’s pretty dope. It’s not quite as deterministic or high skill as Adventures and Empires, but I sort of prefer that because it’s easier to play with more casual friends. The new mechanics and how they integrate with other expansions are interesting enough to keep me occupied for awhile, and they threw some absolute gems in there too for more conventional engines (Cursed Village, Monastery, etc). It can get a little swingy but it works.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:55 pm »
+1

for each of the following comparisons, the metric is "fun to complication ratio".

Nocturne is superior to Hinterlands (more complicated, but a lot more fun)
Nocturne is equivalent to Dark Ages
Nocturne is worse than Adventures/Empires (more complicated, without being more fun)

I'm thrilled to have it, but it has been brain-melty.
Yesterday, we played 7 base cards, and 3 nocturne cards, and after the game was over, neither of us had any idea how to play the board optimally. We discussed it for 10 minutes, and had some ideas, but no conclusions.

Thank goodness it was a casual game, because we let each other take back moves after new information was learned, because misunderstandings were foiling our plans.

After a few trial runs, I've been vetoing all dooms, or all fates, so that we only have to deal with one stack of 12 unfamiliar cards. 

That said, cursed gold is probably my least favorite card in the entire game.  If I could use it as a copper, I'd be fine with it.  Also, the only card I have ever errata'd is "Mountain's Gift". 

Imps and Conclave are excellent.  More "variety matters" cards please.

Verdict: strong, but not stunning (for players in the 50-200 game range?)

Actually, there are fewer cards in the set I would put on a banlist than in some other sets, so by that metric I think it's doing well.

What cards are contenders for that honor?

Japo

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:31:56 am »
+4

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have events. I love how you can add them to every set.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:00 am »
+5

3 people voted Nay. Well, time to break out the pitchforks and torches.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 11:27:58 am »
+11

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23:05 pm »
+1

I was kinda disappointed but new cards are new cards. We need more empire style expansions.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »
+2

We need more empire style expansions.

What exactly makes an expansion "empire-style"?

All in all I'm happy about Nocturne. It has a sort of "rough-around-the-edges" feel that we hadn't seen in an expansion in a long time, but it also tries to do a lot of different stuff, more so than Empires for sure. There's only a few cards that I really wish were different or didn't exist, and none seems to be as bad as Cultist or Rebuild, not even close.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »
+1

I can't put this into "Yay" or "Nay". This poll needs a "Meh" option. Because that's what Nocturne is to me. Certainly not the worst expansion, but neither one of the best.

Breaking it down, that's how I see it:

It has one of the most fun themes ever seen in Dominion. Yay
Hexes are annoying and it feels weird how sometimes (really, at some times during your turn) they do nothing when sometimes they can totally screw you over. Nay.
Boons are not as bad for the most part, but then there's Fool, which is probably the worst card of Nocturne. Nay.
The art is great. Yay.
Night cards are split pile/traveller levels of exciting. Meh.
Heirlooms are brilliant. Double yay.

Favourite cards: Cemetary, Changeling, Conclave, Shepherd, Skulk, Cobbler, Leprachaun (bonus: Will-o-Wisp)
Least favourite: Fool, Necromancer, Blessed Village

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:11 pm »
+2

Also, the manufacturing quality is good - yay.

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: sonotoridesu
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 11:53:13 pm »

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have events. I love how you can add them to every set.
Yeah. Personally I was hoping for some landmarks but overall I'm not complaining. More Dominion is always good.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:52 am »
+1

Still exploring both Nocturne and Empires but I like what I meet in Nocturne. I'm one of those who like the randomness in Dominion and is there for very soft for Boons and also the hexes (even though *gaah* when it hit's you hard). I understand that more skilled players detest it, but it makes it more fun for my level. I'm more impressed over all by Empires, but I think I will like Nocturne more than Dark Ages.

Over all 4/5 Very Nices on Noct, where I think Empires will get a full 5/5.
S

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 08:49:16 pm »

To "South Park"-ize this, we add the following caption...
Rabble rabble rabble!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:51:49 pm »

Also, the manufacturing quality is good - yay.
Please describe the cards in Dominion: Nocturne

"Cards were printed on blackcore stock cards using high quality inks"  ;D
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:57 pm »
+2

I too was hoping that there would be "set independent" components here, with the top candidate being Heirlooms.  For example, P/C don't require Prosperity cards, and Shelters doesn't require Dark Ages cards.  However, it turns out that they need to be paired with their respective Kingdom cards.

I did inquire about just how independent they could be as a variant to have more of the other Kingdom cards be non-Nocturne stuff, while still having many to all of the Heirlooms....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1888875/using-heirlooms-without-their-respective-kingdom-c

I can't put this into "Yay" or "Nay". This poll needs a "Meh" option. Because that's what Nocturne is to me. Certainly not the worst expansion, but neither one of the best.
I believe it's moreso.. "Would you buy/play this expansion or not?", so a neutral option didn't seem necessary.

I do like how "Durations" seems to be a "foundation mechanic".  All sets (excluding promos) always had cards that produced coins, actions, buys, +cards, had Attack cards, and can do Trashing.  Some even had alt-Treasures, alt-Victory cards, and Reactions.  Now, we've got 4 sets with Durations and counting!  8)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:46 pm »

I too was hoping that there would be "set independent" components here, with the top candidate being Heirlooms.  For example, P/C don't require Prosperity cards, and Shelters doesn't require Dark Ages cards.  However, it turns out that they need to be paired with their respective Kingdom cards.

I did inquire about just how independent they could be as a variant to have more of the other Kingdom cards be non-Nocturne stuff, while still having many to all of the Heirlooms....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1888875/using-heirlooms-without-their-respective-kingdom-c
I feel like Haunted Mirror and Secret Cave might be problematic*. The rest could probably be used with a lot of different Kingdoms.

*They include using other Nocturne cards
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 12:25:05 am »
+2

We need more empire style expansions.

What exactly makes an expansion "empire-style"?

All in all I'm happy about Nocturne. It has a sort of "rough-around-the-edges" feel that we hadn't seen in an expansion in a long time, but it also tries to do a lot of different stuff, more so than Empires for sure. There's only a few cards that I really wish were different or didn't exist, and none seems to be as bad as Cultist or Rebuild, not even close.
What i meant by empire style I meant
more powerful cards but not in a bad way(Cards that incorporate into complex strategies and mitigate early luck)
more points to allow for come-backs
not many weak cards

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 08:31:08 pm »
+2

I love every part of Nocturne.  Maybe that doesn't count for much since I say that about every expansion, but I do.  The mechanical themes have been the focus of praise or criticism, but even apart from those, I think it's just a really solid set.  So many cards, like Leprechaun or Devil's Workshop, have dual purposes in engines and BM.  And so many of the cards are just delightfully awkward.

My main criticism of Nocturne is pretty much identical to Tom Vassel's though.  I was playing the game with some less experienced players over break, and yes it can get to be too much.  Explaining 10 new cards is already a bit much, but now there are even more than 10 in any given kingdom.  Made me wish we had brought base along with us so we could mix in some simpler cards.

But as far as I'm concerned, as a Dominion fan, it's not too much, it's just great.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 02:21:29 pm »
+5

It's a hilarious skill-tester of a set.

Just when you think you know how to play Dominion, Donald throws you a curve-ball. Unpredictable, difficult, and a bunch of cards that just don't slot into existing strategies in the way you expect them to at first glance.

I've watched players try to play Cursed Village in a positive drawing engine, thus buying $5 Necropolises with downside. I've watched players try to play Village/draw engines with Tragic Hero as the only +buy and make themselves crazy trying to figure out how to get double-Province buys reliably as their Heroes die repeatedly. I've watched people gain too many Imps or Conclaves and run out of unique actions. I've seen a lot of too much Gold-gaining. There are so many gotchas in the set it's ridiculous.

Just played a game where my Castles-BM strategy revolved around a surprisingly fast Devil's Workshop and Save/Expedition. (Goat/Lookout for trashing.) On small money hands, buy Save/Expedition/Devil's workshop to gain gold. Next hand, buy the next expensive Castle. Save allowed lining up Golds or Small Castles with stuff to trash for bigger castles. (Side note: Save/Tragic Hero! Ha! Did I say "hilarious" yet?)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.