Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Quick Questions and Answers

(1/6) > >>

weesh:
Rather that ask each of my questions as they come up in a new thread, I have created a thread for fast questions.

Here's the first one...

What kind of deck should you be looking to build when there are plenty of engine components, but adding buys and golds threaten to break the engine?

Had a game that included:
village, lab, throne room, werewolf. 
Bandit was the only gainer. 
Skulk was the only +buy.
There was zero virtual money. 
There was good trashing in the form of sentry.

I tried to build an engine that could handle 6 golds, a skulk, and a few green cards so I could double province...and never once drew my deck after adding that many dead draws (I had zero coppers, zero estates, zero silvers, one cemetery).

Asper:
Werewolf/Big Money?

Nevermind, I didn't see Sentry there.

aku_chi:
It seems to me like there's plenty of draw with Werewolf, Throne Room, and Laboratory.  Skulk as the only buy is a limitation, but you could have one in the deck and Throne it when you need three buys (for engine components), but use the Throne on draw later on once you're greening and only need two buys.  Reliability is also an issue, though a couple Sentries should help a little.  If I had to guess, I'd suggest getting more draw than you think you need.  Between playing Bandit and buying two Provinces, you're adding three stop cards per turn, so you would need a lot of extra draw to keep drawing the deck.

Also, there's nothing magical about buying two Provinces per turn.  Especially with Bandit, you want to be flexible with your buys.  With this kind of engine, I'd probably start greening more gradually.  For example: picking up a Province + engine component, or maybe even a Province + two engine components.  I'd want to be in a position to threaten to buy two Provinces, but I wouldn't necessarily do so unless I was ending the game that turn.

JW:

--- Quote from: weesh on January 02, 2018, 03:36:08 pm ---I tried to build an engine that could handle 6 golds, a skulk, and a few green cards so I could double province...and never once drew my deck after adding that many dead draws (I had zero coppers, zero estates, zero silvers, one cemetery).

--- End quote ---

Getting a Ghost should help with the reliability of the engine, too.

weesh:
Next Question:

How do you make bonfire good?

It got ranked really highly in the polls, but I pretty much can't figure out how to use it early enough for it to be a good trasher.  the fact that it takes a buy and money each time you use it makes it feel harsh. using an entire turn just to trash two coppers seems weak.  seems like it could only be good with gainers and +buy, and needs support?  any tips or tricks for early bonfire usage? 

I think I've used it so far only to finish trashing once my engine was already working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version