Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Nocturne Cards: Cursed Village  (Read 12427 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Nocturne Cards: Cursed Village
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:47:18 pm »
+6

1. How does this compare to Lost City
2. How reliable is this as a village and as draw?
3. How terrific is the art?

I think this is a pretty solid village. If you have something to discard card with, it can be a source of draw and a village. The on-buy penalty is not usually a problem, but you never know with hexes. The art is really cool, though I'm not sure if the people in the town are ghosts or they just don't care about the insane amount of crows flying around.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:53:20 pm by McGarnacle »
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Nocturne Cards: Cursed Village
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:03:17 pm »
+4

From a hand of 5 cards, your first CV is a Lost City. The second is a Vanillage. In the presence of additional card draw, it can quickly turn into a Necropolis.

Obviously where it shines is with any kind of discard-for-benefit. In the presence of such cards I think it's almost a must-buy.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:51 pm »
+1

From a hand of 5 cards, your first CV is a Lost City. The second is a Vanillage. In the presence of additional card draw, it can quickly turn into a Necropolis.

Obviously where it shines is with any kind of discard-for-benefit. In the presence of such cards I think it's almost a must-buy.

I agree. And even if you don't have any kind of discard-for-benefit, just playing terminals makes it keep drawing. I don't think it is as good as Lost City, though.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 06:08:48 pm »
+1

With Library, Watchtower, and Jack, it is usually pretty tricky to make the draw consistently good.  It takes a relatively special kingdom.  This having +2 Actions is incredible.  Now not only are discarding cards like oasis and disappearing non-terminal money cards like Candlestick Maker and Mystic great, but even terminal Money, like Messenger and Wine Merchant work pretty well.  In my limited experience with Cursed village, it seems pretty consistent. I honestly feel like it is on par with Lost village, partially because I'd often rather get hexed than let my opponent draw a card.

Oh, and the art is phenomenal.  One of my all time favorites

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:29 pm »

Great against Militia, Goons, and similar discard attacks, but has negative synergy with Faithful Hound, the River's Gift, Plague, Caravan, Wharf, Gear, or anything that lets you start your turn with more than 5 cards.

It's been incredibly useful in most of the games I've played with it, but no one buys enough of them because they're afraid of the Hexes. Locusts, War, and Miserable can be especially painful.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:21:39 pm »

I honestly feel like it is on par with Lost City, partially because I'd often rather get hexed than let my opponent draw a card.

I was also thinking about the on-gain penalty in comparing these, though I'm not sure where I stand. The discard hexes (3/12) usually don't do anything harmful when you gain CV. The rest are a mixed bag. Maybe the worst case scenario is losing the CV you just gained to Locusts -- so be careful gaining a CV after you've drawn your whole deck.

How do these other hexes compare to giving your opponent an extra card? Tough to say!

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »
+2

A Cursed Village is wonderful when you're Lost in the Woods. Discarding for a boon at the start of your turn means at least +3 Cards +2 Actions. The draw is even better if you receive Earth's Gift or Sky's Gift.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:36:12 pm »

It occurs to me that CV might be a really strong counter to discard attacks. Possibly the strongest?

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:05 pm »

It seems really good to me. Not sure if it's better than Lost City, but it's up there.

It's neat when it comes with one of the Hexes that doesn't hurt you, such as a discard or topdeck Hex when you're in the Buy phase.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 10:31:38 pm »

I think this is one of the more overrated Nocturne cards. It's just really bad as the only village in a traditional "village+smithy" style engine - quickly becoming a $5 Necropolis that hexes you. A lot of durations mess it up, it's expensive, deluded occasionally makes you lose the game. Even a lot of the time when it has support I find it more effective to just use a cheaper village and traditional draw for the engine and laugh at my opponent floundering around with this thing. It does have it's moments for sure and obviously providing both a village effect and draw potential means it's often still a must buy card, but it's nowhere near as good as Lost City. In my somewhat limited experience at least.

Art is great though, this is defo the village where Tragic Hero lives, what with the crow infestation.

Also does anybody else find it strange that Cursed Village and Leprechaun are worded "recieve a Hex" where as all the attacks say "receives the next Hex"?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »

Cursed Village is highly underrated. It is essentially as good as Lost City in a lot of decks.

It needs WAY less support than other draw to X to work. A deck that just plays CV, terminal, CV, terminal, CV, terminal, is always drawing 2 cards with it. It’s often seen as a shitty Village because people think “oh let’s pair it with Smithy, see it isn’t drawing anything, what a load of garbage”, and that’s not what it is!

Obviously discard for benefit makes it absolutely amazing, which is great because a lot of discard for benefit is too terminal to be good with like Library. Thinning is basically required. But it’s so good man.

The hexes don’t hurt at all except for War and Deluded. It’s fine.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 10:49:47 pm »
+8

I think this is one of the more overrated Nocturne cards.

Cursed Village is highly underrated.

lol

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:49 am »
+3

Also does anybody else find it strange that Cursed Village and Leprechaun are worded "recieve a Hex" where as all the attacks say "receives the next Hex"?

Makes sense to me. If you worded the attacks "receives a Hex", you would run into the question of, do they receive different Hexes or what? But when you don't have that question because you're the only one getting the Hex, you don't need the extra words.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 12:19:25 am »
+1

I've said this before, but the strength of Cursed Village varies greatly depending on the board, much more so than Lost City. Lost City is pretty much always a good card that works for basically any strategy. Cursed Village is sometimes too finicky and acts as a Necropolis too often, and sometimes it's easily the strongest card on the board.

Cursed Village has all those discard for benefit synergies, and is great when you have terminals you want to play in the middle of your turn, like Jester or Workshop. Cursed Village is less good when you are trying to pair it with terminal draw like Werewolf or Torturer. It also takes too long to get two of them to be relevant for terminal trashers.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 12:33:48 am »
+15

Art is great though, this is defo the village where Tragic Hero lives, what with the crow infestation.

More likely it's the village where Tragic Hero dies.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 08:07:40 am »
+1

I think this is one of the more overrated Nocturne cards.

Cursed Village is highly underrated.

What a conundrum you seem to... Oh wait, did somebody do this one already?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 08:08:55 am »

Works particularly well with trashing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:37 am »
+7

If you play Nocturne heavy games, Cursed Village will seem worse than it really is because it has super crappy antisynergy with Nights.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 08:41:01 am »
+1

I think the best way to describe CV is that it is best when you don’t need many other sources of draw to work. In a well thinned deck, with just CVs and terminal non drawing payload, you’re basically fine if a little shaky once you start greening. You draw 2 cards, play a terminal, repeat.

If you add other draw to a CV deck (trying to use it like a vanilla Village) you need to add a lot of draw to make it work since it’s basically Necropolis after the first play. And you already bought a bunch of $5 Villages! So uh, try to avoid doing this if at all possible.

Sifters are this card’s best friend as it allows it to be less crippled by stop cards like Province and the like, and you don’t mind the handsize reduction since it is counteracted on the next CV play. Discard for benefit is basically “free” with CV in terms of impact on handsize - Artificer sort of becomes a cantrip $5 gainer, Horse Traders basically is just +$3 +Buy, Mill is a lot closer to an activated Conspirator, etc.

I think it is probably the best draw to X card once it is in your deck, in terms of actually drawing.

bug me on discord

they/them

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:27 am »
+2

More likely it's the village where Tragic Hero dies.

My dad says the crows eat him.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:48 am »
+1

Aside from discard-for-benefit, surely the cards one really wants to be incorporating into a deck with Cursed Village are the ones that can give +Action without +Card?

Running through the list, I see: Lurker, Pawn, Lookout, Apprentice, Tournament, Forager, Candlestick Maker, Transmogrify, Royal Carriage. All of those look significantly more attractive than usual in the presence of Cursed Village.

Festival and Villa seem especially well suited, since Cursed Village in effect upgrades them into villages, getting past what's normally considered a significant drawback.

Native Village and Minion look like they would have potentially promising but quite complicated interactions with Cursed Village.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:28 pm »
+1

Why do they need to give +Action necessarily? You basically get one terminal payload per Cursed Village. Obviously CSMs and the like are beneficial, but I think a lot is lost in thinking in terms of the “CV is the Village so I need some terminal space for draw” paradigm.

bug me on discord

they/them

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 01:22:53 pm »

Why do they need to give +Action necessarily? You basically get one terminal payload per Cursed Village. Obviously CSMs and the like are beneficial, but I think a lot is lost in thinking in terms of the “CV is the Village so I need some terminal space for draw” paradigm.

I think you answered your own question:

Why do they need to give +Action necessarily? (Because) you basically get (only) one terminal payload per Cursed Village.

So they don't ALL need to have +Action, but it's nice if they do.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 03:18:51 pm »

Fair point. + Action card’s basically stop being stop cards in a CV deck, which buffs many of them enough to be worth buying. CSM is sort of close to Baker, Pawn is sort of close to Peddler, etc. as long as you have a CV in hand.

Even in the not so great case, the draw of a CV deck is equivalent to using Lab for draw in terms of number of cards exposed, if you can play exactly 1 Card/terminal between each CV. So, not too shabby.

bug me on discord

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 03:21:39 pm »
+1

Indeed.

More than that, you can also play them before your first Cursed Village of the turn.

If you start your turn looking at a Cursed Village and four terminal actions, you have no choice but to play the Cursed Village immediately for +2 Cards, +2 Actions. If you start your turn looking at Cursed Village and four +1-Action cards, you can play them all then play Cursed Village for +6 Cards, +2 Actions.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.