Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IsoDom 3 Round 4  (Read 4498 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
IsoDom 3 Round 4
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »

Congratulations to everyone who progressed!  Please have your round 4 matches completed by noon on Friday, March 2. Report the results to this thread.  As a reminder, all rounds are best of seven, with a preselected Kingdom to be played in the first game.  This week's Kingdom, submitted by Olneyce (nice job!) and approved by the community (thanks for that!) will be:

Chapel, Fishing Village, Familiar, Worker's Village, Sea Hag, Wharf, Mountebank, Governor, Torturer, Forge

Again, if anyone has any issues please let me know as soon as possible.

Round 4 Match-Ups

<b>1. Fabian</b>
vs.
1. RisingJaguar

<b>7. rspeer</b>
vs
1. Rabid
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:33:20 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 3 Round 4
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:56 am »

I haven't practiced this set yet... but this looks silly fast... jeebus.  I almost want to say governor is slow. 

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:28 am »

Please keep commenting on it as I've barely looked at it yet, never mind analyzing it :) I will be largely unprepared and very possibly hungover when we play tomorrow, so any help I can get etc :p

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:47 am »

Please keep commenting on it as I've barely looked at it yet, never mind analyzing it :) I will be largely unprepared and very possibly hungover when we play tomorrow, so any help I can get etc :p
Big Money, can't be stopped =)

But yeah, there's a lot of power cards which should make it interesting.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »
+1

Fabian beats RisingJaguar 4-3 in a pretty sweet match.

Game 1 Fabian 35 - 40 RisingJaguar
My feeling about this set coming was that the attacks probably should be ignored. A Chapel/FV/Wharf/Governor type deck should be able to handle a Copper and a Curse just fine, I felt. My idea was to open FV/Chapel, buy a Wharf, buy Governors, gain Golds, Remodel Golds. Things didn't pan out at all though, as I had some very bad turns and quickly found myself super behind. The only slightly good news was that Jaguar's deck was pretty big (17 cards to my 5 I believe at this point), so I decided to switch strategy and buy Mountebanks, hoping his somewhat large deck wouldn't be able to handle the extra cards. In the end, Jaguar fires up about a billion Wharves, and is able to handle the Curses just fine. He easily buys up enough green cards for me to not catch up.

Game 2 Fabian 23 - 35 RisingJaguar
A pretty bad game from me. I do what I often do which is to ignore potion cards, then get crushed by them.

Game 3 Fabian 18 - 4 RisingJaguar
We open 5/2 and I go for an IGG rush (with a Duchess) while Jaguar decides to try outracing me with Hunting Party/Duchess. I don't know if that will work or not, but feeling kinda nervous already being down 2-0. It turns out IGG is pretty damn good though, and Jaguar is never really in this game.

Apparently I didn't save the log for game 4. Oops. I won on a Familiar board where my other key card was Apprentice, with some Royal Seal and later Expand shenanigans thrown in. It's too bad I didn't save the log, because I was quite happy with how I played this and managed my deck, and felt very pleased with myself when I managed to take it. Maybe Jaguar saved the log.

Game 5 Fabian 33 - 33 RisingJaguar
Very close game. I go Governor, he goes Highway/Workshop/etc shenanigans. I get 5 Provinces in 14 turns, and it's very nearly not enough. When he goes for it on his turn 15, he's not able to play enough +buy actions (Council Room/Workshop/Horse Traders) to be able to buy enough cards, and we both end up on 33 points with him having taken an extra turn. Phew! After the match we talked and agreed Jaguar's deck definitely needed more Fishing Villages.

Game 6 Fabian 17 - 49 RisingJaguar
RisingJaguar gets a sweet engine going and I get super destroyed. I would complain and say I drew terribly (nice 2 Estate 2 Throne Room 1 Copper hand!) etc, but whatever. My deck didn't get going while his most certainly did.

Game 7 Fabian 35 - 25 RisingJaguar
It all comes down to a final game, where we both go for a Sea Hag/2 Lookout setup. This game is one of the least interesting ones, in that there are relatively few, and relatively minor, tactical decisions during the game. I get a pretty comfortable lead, basically only from drawing better, and am never in any real danger. A pretty anticlimactic game considering some of the other cool ones we played, but I'm quite happy to have won it!

Overall, the game logs and my brief summaries don't do the games justice of course. I think it was a pretty great match overall, with some very nice tacitical decisions by both of us, and some great games. RisingJaguar was a great opponent of course, and I'm very happy to have advanced. This was my first tournament match which went the full 7 games, too; I can tell you it was pretty intense towards the end :)

Thanks again RisingJaguar.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:05:28 pm by Fabian »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
+1

My thoughts to add on top of Fabian's analysis of the games already.  I had a great time of these games aside from a couple which I'll get to. 

Game 1:
I had a very similar plan to Fabian with the chapel/FV/wharf/governor type plan.  I saw 3 (maybe 4) openings.  FV is a definite inclusion.  The other options were FV/silver/Sea hag/chapel.  I quickly threw out sea hag with chapel here.  The easy, "safe" option was chapel, but I saw how long (or hard it is) it takes to hit $5 (which is absolutely critical in this game).  Then I later saw that FV/FV to wharf then transitioning to chapel works almost just as fast.  The reason I include silver is because the better possibility of hitting a $5 (wharf) which again, is critical. 

So while I did get good luck with, I do think FV/FV or FV/silver beats chapel here. 

About the game itself, I do get a littler nervous during the match with his mountebanks when I've barely used my chapel.  Governor's silvers really helped a lot (but it won't later...) but I did over buy FV.  You can see the turn where I play like 4 of them and not use an action. 

Game 2:
I was intrigued by the feast opening, because trading post is pretty decent here.  I thought awhile on my first $4P but settled on golem.  It would've been horrible if I got golem right away on the reshuffle but lucky it didn't.  I must say that Fabian transitions REALLY well from strategies in game.  I know it didn't work out here, but its a reoccuring theme. 

Game 3:
Yeah Hunting party isn't fast enough, end of story.  I knew I wasn't strong enough to win IGG games against him, especially second.  Thought I'd try something new.  But brutal... probably should've gotten gold at some point, but yeah this was just bad.

Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/26/game-20120226-150117-25c0fc80.html
Okay so this is how I see this game, I'm confident steward/potion is much better here.  I am able to trash and get $3P.  I get to a point where I get two familiars and a thin deck.  And I lose? I'm absolutely stunned.  This is played so well, with the $5's chains to expand.  Before I knew it, I had only won the curse war 6-4... if you realize the size of our decks... that's a huge win for him (well deserved).  Just wonderful play. 

Game 5:
I'm so upset with this game.  I'm usually adept to building engines well.  Here I overbought workshops and probably highways too.  Could've likely done FV/Council room to use more highways in a turn instead of getting more highways.  Those governor's silvers hurt so badly here.  Let one slip away...

Game 6:
At first I was worried if a deck could actually flourish like this.  I'm not sure if Fabian got hooked into this deck by getting non-stop $5 but it clearly is the right deck to build.  Islands helps a lot with the province buying.  Yeah I get lucky with turns here with his horrible throne room turn.  We were both going towards the same sort of deck.  I liked his T10 buy, was impressed with using farmlands like that.  Much faster than buying a bunch of islands like my plan was.  If we had similar luck, I'm not sure if my strategy was better than his, probably too similar to tell. 

Game 7:
Yeah I'm not going to lie, I followed his two lookout strategy. My shuffle luck isn't the greatest, I get Sea hag after them reshuffle.  Sea hag only hits while he has lookout in hand.  With that said, going to merchant ship is a lot better.

I did have some great fun in this game.  I am still very impressed with Fabian's adaptability which is very hard to see from game logs.  Game 5 is probably the big game for people to try out for themselves.  It's quite fun I must say. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:34:41 am by RisingJaguar »

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »

Sorry for the delay.
rspeer and I are having trouble meeting up due to time zones.
Please can we have an extension until Saturday 3rd?
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
+1

Yeah, of course you guys can have an extra day or three.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »

I demand I win the final by default decision! This is outrageous and I will not stand for it! Additional exclamation point!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:34:07 am »

I can only support Fabian's demand (just to make sure I lost against the winner of this tournament)!

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:49 am »
+1

Thanks for the extension, MMM, and thanks for the games, Rabid. Here are my comments on the match:

Game 1: Rabid 18 - rspeer 42
(Mountebank, Wharf, Governor, Fishing Village, Chapel)

This game went nothing like I expected. I intended to focus on FVs and Wharves with maybe one or two Governors, and to only get the chapel if Rabid bought an attack card (because FV/Wharf doesn't really need a chapel). I also considered FV/Torturer if Rabid didn't buy a Chapel himself. There were, of course, a lot of plans involving reacting to one's opponent here.

But anyway, I got a 5/2 opening with which I instead opened good old Chapel/Mountebank, and that certainly seemed to put me in a good position, even though the Mounty didn't hit many times. (Incidentally, should it have been Chapel/Governor?) I bought 2 Governors, 2 Wharves, and 4 FVs, and for whatever reason I got piles of provinces before Rabid's deck got started. I suppose I'm glad I didn't get to play my original plan, because Rabid did in fact load up on FVs and Wharves plus a Chapel to deal with my Mountebank, and it didn't work out for him at all. (1-0)

Game 2: Rabid 15 - rspeer 48
(Upgrade, Harvest, Horse Traders, Courtyard)

Courtyard and Upgrade were my only action cards, so I was basically playing an improved version of Courtyard/BM, which is already great. A combination of good shuffle luck and Courtyard's ability to stay at a consistent $8 got me 7 provinces in 16 turns. I don't know what Rabid was doing with Horse Traders, but there was never time to find out. (2-0)

Game 3: Rabid 30 - rspeer 8
(Nobles, Torturer, Coutning House, Village, Apothecary)

Pumped full of chutzpah from the previous games, I decide to make an Apothecary/Copper deck. I figure that even if I have to take curses from Torturers I can just draw a bunch of copper, or get it all at once with a Counting House, or something. Yeah, it's sounding like the Rube Goldberg game except half of the machine isn't there. It was a bad idea and it was totally owned by Rabid's torturers. (2-1)

Game 4: rspeer 67 - Rabid 42
(Colony, Goons, Margrave, Tactician, Outpost, Lighthouse, Alchemist)

Alchemists were an obvious buy here. Margrave seemed good for getting ahead in the Alchemist race, but Goons also seemed as essential as usual. Having multiple terminals I wanted to play, I then bought a Tactician, which I only realized was a nombo with Alchemist the first time I played it and discarded my potion and my Alchemist stack.

That mistake should have cost me, but it didn't. I doubled down and bought an Outpost, which does go well with Alchemists. Now my deck contained an incoherent assortment of terminals and the worst imaginable action splitter for the situation, but on the other hand, I had a majority of the Alchemists, and perhaps that's what really matters. (3-1)

Game 5: rabid 42 - rspeer 65
(Nobles, Goons, Hunting Party, Bazaar, Militia, Spice Merchant, Fool's Gold, Native Village)

I think Rabid's FGs were just too slow here. Ain't no party like a Hunting Party 'cause a Hunting Party don't stop. (4-1)

Those were some interesting games on interesting boards! And somehow I won and advanced to the final. oh god how did i get here i am not good with dominion
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:57:59 am by rspeer »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:31 am »

What an impressive run, rspeer.  Congratulations to the finalists.  Again everyone, thank you all for participating, making your matches, sharing your thoughts and being great sports.  Much thanks to all for your Kingdom submissions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.