Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How good is Goat?  (Read 9273 times)

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Goat?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »
+1

I've bought Goat exactly twice.
You're playing the game incorrectly.
I'm playing a different game  :P
Is the winning move "The answer is 'Buying Nocturne = buying Goat, and I've bought Nocturne once for myself and once as a gift'"?

(In case it doesn't render well, the last four characters are <tee> <single quote> <double quote> <question mark>.)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
+10

Well, it's all relative.

If you choose your starting hand, and then Monty Hall opens a door and shows you a Goat behind that door, do you want to change your starting hand to include Goat, Or stay with the same starting hand?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
+5

Well, it's all relative.

If you choose your starting hand, and then Monty Hall opens a door and shows you a Goat behind that door, do you want to change your starting hand to include Goat, Or stay with the same starting hand?

Finally, a new wrinkle to this old problem: do I want the car or the goat?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »
+12

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »
+6

There really is one for everything.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 07:56:47 am »
+2

I think it's just as pointless to ask whether Goat is good as it is to ask whether Borrow, Delve or any specific Landmark are good. They are rules changes more than anything.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:30 am »
+3

I think it's just as pointless to ask whether Goat is good as it is to ask whether Borrow, Delve or any specific Landmark are good. They are rules changes more than anything.

It’s at the very least a bit more relevant than Events and Landmarks, because you can choose to trash the Goat. If Goat were a horrible card, you might choose to trash it sooner, for example. The goodness of Goat also affects other decisions, such as whether or not you get other trashers, and how many of them.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 09:08:39 am »

It’s at the very least a bit more relevant than Events and Landmarks, because you can choose to trash the Goat. If Goat were a horrible card, you might choose to trash it sooner, for example. The goodness of Goat also affects other decisions, such as whether or not you get other trashers, and how many of them.

Right. Goat is strong and impactful, no doubt. I admit that even though you don't decide to get Goat, you can decide to get rid of it, so it is more of a player decision than the others I named.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:09:50 am by Asper »

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 12:11:47 am »
+2

There really is one for everything.
Mouse over text....
"A few minutes later, the goat from behind door C drives away in the car."
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 05:19:48 am »

Also, you can easily imagine Goat as a kingdom card (or even house-rule it to be one, if you're fine with a 6-card pile  ;)). The same is true for Delve (which is effectively a (boring) kingdom card, Silver+on-gain buy for $2, in disguise), but not for Borrow or any landmark.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:58 am »

Also, you can easily imagine Goat as a kingdom card (or even house-rule it to be one, if you're fine with a 6-card pile  ;)). The same is true for Delve (which is effectively a (boring) kingdom card, Silver+on-gain buy for $2, in disguise), but not for Borrow or any landmark.

Delve is practically strictly better than Silver and so that wouldn't work. Goat, sure. Other Heirlooms like Cursed Gold, not so much. Goat is not a kingdom card, though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:32:03 am by Asper »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 06:35:41 am »
+1

Delve is practically strictly better than Silver and so that wouldn't work.

That's as much of a problem for a kingdom card as it is for an Event (i.e. it isn't).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 01:13:34 pm »

That's as much of a problem for a kingdom card as it is for an Event (i.e. it isn't).

I'm with you in that it's not a problem technically, but it goes against Donald X' design tradition. Much like e.g. directed attacks.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 02:07:26 am »
+3

It's completely a perceptual problem, but that's still a problem, and I think being an Event does help perceptions there.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.