Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How good is Goat?  (Read 9284 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
How good is Goat?
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »

My sense is that Goat is a phenomenal card. Even if it didn't start in your deck, it utterly smokes, say, Loan. Is it worth skipping Chapel if Goat's on the board? Skipping masquerade?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: How good is Goat?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »
+2

Chapel yes, Masq no.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:59:26 pm »
+1

I wouldn’t always skip Chapel on a Goat board, but I certainly would a lot of the time. Depends on the cycling, need for early economy, etc. In general I would get 1 additional trasher on a Goat board where you go hyper thin.

Goat’s really good.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:05:02 pm »
+17

Goat is the greatest of all time.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »
+2

Goat’s really good.

Would you say it's really goad?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 01:04:56 am »

My sense is that Goat is a phenomenal card. Even if it didn't start in your deck, it utterly smokes, say, Loan. Is it worth skipping Chapel if Goat's on the board? Skipping masquerade?

But Loan cycles and is effectively worth 1$ more than Goat when trashing copper. Is the fact that Goat can trash Estates and doesn’t trip over Silvers and other copies of itself really enough to say that Goat smokes Loan?

I am talking about hypothetical Goat that you can buy, obviously Heirloom-Goat is a lot better than non-Heirloom Loan.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 01:25:46 am »
+5

But Loan cycles and is effectively worth 1$ more than Goat when trashing copper. Is the fact that Goat can trash Estates and doesn’t trip over Silvers and other copies of itself really enough to say that Goat smokes Loan?

Yes.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:05 am »

It's so hard to find those last two coppers with your loan. 

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 04:53:48 am »
+1

It's so hard to find those last two coppers with your loan.
Well, I don't reckon it's that much easier with a Goat.

Besides, just getting 5 of the Coppers is already a marked improvement
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:10:49 am »
+2

I am talking about hypothetical Goat that you can buy, obviously Heirloom-Goat is a lot better than non-Heirloom Loan.

Good point on cycling. Trashing Estates is huge though, and Loan hitting a non-copper is really annoying -- although maybe it's roughly equal in probability to drawing Goat with nothing you want to trash?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 09:41:34 am »
+3

Goat doesn't just trash estates, it trashes one (usually) before the first shuffle. That alone makes it phenomenal.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 11:12:58 am »
+2

But Goat trashing before the first shuffle is just because it’s an heirloom, so it has effectively trashed two more cards than Loan before you get to play the latter (the card you trash with Goat, and the copper it replaces). Of course then Goat is a lot better than Loan. But that’s Goat being a heirloom, not Goat being better than Loan. I would say that Heirloom Loan and Heirloom Goat would be close.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »
+1

Starting with Goat is a like starting with a slightly weaker Junk Dealer (the key difference being that Goat doesn’t draw a card). It’s good but you usually want to trash more than one card per shuffle, so you’ll want to pick up other strong trashers if available.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 12:28:28 pm »

If Goat was a kingdom card, you'd get at least one in the opening and get your second one by the second reshuffle, and then it is already likely to beat out Chapel in many situations. Goat would have to cost $4 before I'd have to start seriously considering the opportunity cost.

Goat casually beats out Forager in the opening, which is already one of the better early game trashers.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 12:30:46 pm »
+2

Chapel yes, Masq no.

Assuming we are talking about Heirloom Goat, I second this. Masquerade is effectively trashing without tempo loss. Masquerade is very good with Loan as well.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
+4

But Goat trashing before the first shuffle is just because it’s an heirloom, so it has effectively trashed two more cards than Loan before you get to play the latter (the card you trash with Goat, and the copper it replaces). Of course then Goat is a lot better than Loan. But that’s Goat being a heirloom, not Goat being better than Loan. I would say that Heirloom Loan and Heirloom Goat would be close.

They would not. Estate trashing is simply way better.

In the early hands, trashing a Copper out of your deck and trashing an estate result in the same economy either way. In the later hands, you’re out of Estates and you’ve bought stuff, so you don’t really care that you technically lose $1 from your current hand (which you can opt out of if you really want!), and Loan is much more likely to skip a good card or hit a Treasure you do care about.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »
+1

For the first two shuffles, Goat is a lot better than Loan because it's trashing Estates from your hand. Then it's worse than Loan because it trashes Copper from hand (as opposed to deck) and then it's better again because it trashes at all when you don't have anything in the draw pile.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »
+2

They would not. Estate trashing is simply way better.

In the early hands, trashing a Copper out of your deck and trashing an estate result in the same economy either way. In the later hands, you’re out of Estates and you’ve bought stuff, so you don’t really care that you technically lose $1 from your current hand (which you can opt out of if you really want!), and Loan is much more likely to skip a good card or hit a Treasure you do care about.

I agree with the first part, but the second part is just wrong. Loan has equal chances to skip over a worse card than over a better card, and it averages out, keeping only the extra cycling, which is a positive thing until you reach the greening phase (and then you can choose not to play the Loan if it really bothers you).

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 03:32:11 pm »

People only seem to be talking about Goat trashing Coppers/Estates (obviously because they're the thing you most often need to trash), but of course it also trashes Curses, Ruins, and other Junk too.

Loan's strength is also part of it's weakness. Loan guarantees treasure trashing, but it can only trash treasure. Goats eat anything.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 04:39:48 pm »
+6

I always buy Goat whenever it is in the supply.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:19 pm »
+9

Man, Goat sucks. I never buy it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 11:39:28 pm »

Man, Goat sucks. I never buy it.
I never buy Goat when it's in the supply.

Each time it's been offered to me from the Black Market deck, I have purchased one of the cards offered alongside it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 09:24:07 am »
+2

I've bought Goat exactly twice.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:08 pm »
+2

I've bought Goat exactly twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth

You're playing the game incorrectly.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 10:19:56 pm »
+2

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.