Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Magic Lamp is the dumbest card-shaped thing  (Read 18538 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lamp is the dumbest card-shaped thing
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2017, 08:43:40 am »
+3

For people who have actually played with Wish: how does it compare to Overlord?
Aside from the obvious differences like Wish being one time only, getting them, Wish getting non-actions and $6-costs.
Well, there are really no other differences than the obvious ones.

-Card Name
-Card Art
-Card Artist
-The fancy yellow moon at the bottom
-The shiny gold coin instead of red hexagon
-The star on the cost
-Different card text

Am I missing any?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2017, 08:55:30 am »
+1

I havent had much of a problem with lamp. I usually get it within one turn of my opponent.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
+1

Aside from the obvious differences like Wish being one time only, getting them, Wish getting non-actions and $6-costs.

But how do they play? How much of a difference do those differences make?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2017, 12:48:49 pm »

Overlord plays very differently from Wish, because you generally get Overlord earlier, and the best case is to play Overlord as a different action at different stages of the game (e.g. Trading Post early, Groundskeeper late).

I often find myself wishing for cards that cost less than $5 because that's what's needed at the time.  I guess that means that the flexibility is doing something for me, but it often feels inefficient.

Wishes do play nicely with Conclave and Imp.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »

Someone should play & record a Secret Cave cage match, where the first player to trigger Magic Lamp wins.  Then you continue the game just to see who would have won normally.

Can anyone remember the old days when people complained that whoever bought the first gold was sure to win? Those were good times.
"complained"?  IIRC, they're STILL doing it!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »

So how much stronger or different is it that you get a Wish instead of getting a card costing up to ? I suppose that generally the Wish is a little stronger because you can choose what you need right when you have it in your hand; but I would think that 90% of the time you'll take the same card you would have taken if you had to chose back when you got the Wish instead.

On the other hand, it has a minor drawback in that you can draw a Wish dead, and if you do, you've delayed that card yet another shuffle. If you were going to gain an Action, that doesn't matter much,because that Action would have been drawn dead anyway. But if you were gaining a Night, Treasure, or Victory card, that could matter a lot.

As a whole, Wish seems like an odd card to have; do people find it actually plays much different from "gain a card costing up to "?

The flexibility is the main draw.  If I have a card that needs to be just that, for the purposes of scoring (e.g. Landmarks, or various alt-Victory cards), innate functionality (player token is on it), or for maximum functionality (e.g., gain a Gold to your hand if you needed those $3 for a Province or Colony.  However, if you already have that, then get another card that gives you extra buys, or that gives you VP tokens)

Also nice for effects that look at # of gains (e.g. Monastery.. a bit thematic too ;))

Unlike Overlord, you use it to gain Duchies if it's late enough in the game.  Overlord can't copy an empty pile, nor can Wish gain you a card from that same empty pile, but if it's a card you'd like to use again, that helps with that.  Other players can shoot to empty a pile to deny you copying it.

As you may suspect, other card games have this too...
Ascension... I've gained cards to my hand, even lesser ones for the sake of synergizing (e.g. one specific "meh" card will let me transform)
7 Wonders... Halicarnassus (build a card for free from the discard) has been used to fill in voids in your tableau (e.g. more science, 1-up on military, or get the last card in a set)

But how do they play? How much of a difference do those differences make?
Above post of mine should cover this.  Also add that one is earned, while the other you go into Debt for (as 8 Debt isn't quite chump change even if it is affordable via Debt's system).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:53:58 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 08:20:58 am »
+1

Ok, My experiences don't say much really, but I been in more than two games now where one player gets the bonus alone and still manage to loose. It might be stupid, idk, but it's not necessarily game breaking in any sense. Tournament was much worse in that regard in the beginning. I remember it as the one to hit the first Prize would _always_ win the first couple of games I played with it. That's not the case anymore at all and I think we certainly will come around ML in the same way. Give it time.
S

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2018, 01:44:25 pm »

It is a larger consideration, but you don't buy Leprechaun until you can do that consistently. You start the game with Magic Lamp in your deck.
Do you not? $3 looks like a good price for a card that gives you early Golds in exchange for getting Hexed a bit. Leprechaun/Night Watchman, for example, looks like it would be a strong opening.

The problem is that you don't want to get Hexed and you don't really want too many Golds either, and Leprechaun itself is a terminal stop that doesn't give you any money.

But Gold is such good trash-for-benefit fodder.

This. Leprachaun is a really nice tfb enabler.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:07 am »
+1

But what's the smartest card-shaped thing?

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 07:04:23 am »

It is a larger consideration, but you don't buy Leprechaun until you can do that consistently. You start the game with Magic Lamp in your deck.
Do you not? $3 looks like a good price for a card that gives you early Golds in exchange for getting Hexed a bit. Leprechaun/Night Watchman, for example, looks like it would be a strong opening.

The problem is that you don't want to get Hexed and you don't really want too many Golds either, and Leprechaun itself is a terminal stop that doesn't give you any money.

In an Encampment/Bridge Troll game I just played, both of us opened Leprechaun and it seemed like it was probably the best strategy (I went Lep/Sage and they went Lep/Bonfire - not sure which was better but my Sage seemed to really help get the Lep gold in hand with Encampments early and I won so there's that), but I haven't seen any other board where an early Lep seems sensible, and obviously Encampment is a very extreme edge-case for valuing an early gold much, much higher than normal.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2024, 02:38:57 pm »
+1

I read this thread many years ago and since doing so have viewed Magic Lamp games as essentially a race, with nothing else mattering. I think only one of those games has felt swingy in the other player's favor to me. Presumably I'm blind to two or three that were swingy in my favor. Still, I think all-in-all it's a less dumb card-shaped thing than some other ones.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2024, 08:25:38 pm »
+2

I'm actually not banning it anymore, since the stats (the skill multiplier, specifically) clearly don't support my old argument. It is obviously very swingy, activating it a few turns after your opponent really is a massive disadvantage and sometimes that just happens for reasons beyond your control, but it seems like usually if it happens, it's because you didn't play it right.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.