Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gained to hand cards and Haunted Woods  (Read 1254 times)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Gained to hand cards and Haunted Woods
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:05 am »

If my opponent plays Haunted Woods, and I buy a card that gets gained to hand i.e. Ghost Town, does that mean...

1. my hand gets top decked before Ghost Town goes in my hand; and
2. I can play that Ghost Town during my Night phase

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
Re: Gained to hand cards and Haunted Woods
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:26:56 am »

what happens is:
-you buy ghost town.
-two things happen "when" you buy ghost town: you gain ghost town (which puts it into your hand), and you put your hand on your deck. they want to happen at the same time, which (and this is a rule you can easily not know about or encounter if you play with physical cards) you get to choose which order they happen. so, you can either topdeck your hand first which puts ghost town in your hand, or include ghost town in the topdeck.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:01:54 am »
+1

what happens is:
-you buy ghost town.
-two things happen "when" you buy ghost town: you gain ghost town (which puts it into your hand), and you put your hand on your deck. they want to happen at the same time, which (and this is a rule you can easily not know about or encounter if you play with physical cards) you get to choose which order they happen. so, you can either topdeck your hand first which puts ghost town in your hand, or include ghost town in the topdeck.
This doesn't coincide with my understanding of the rules.  'Buy' occurs before 'would gain' which occurs before 'gain', i.e. gaining is not something that wants to happen as a result of buying but rather something that will happen after buying and therefore any 'on buy' effect has to take place first.  As such I think the OP's explanation is correct.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:13:45 am »
+2

If my opponent plays Haunted Woods, and I buy a card that gets gained to hand i.e. Ghost Town, does that mean...

1. my hand gets top decked before Ghost Town goes in my hand; and
2. I can play that Ghost Town during my Night phase
Correct, Haunted Woods triggers on buy, at which point you haven't gained Ghost Town yet.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.