Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Tom Vasel Nocturne Review  (Read 21167 times)

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Vasel Nocturne Review
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2018, 05:42:36 pm »

All that said, we are enjoying the new set, especially now that we know to roll it slowly.

Apparently our tastes differ. I have rolled several random all-Empires kingdoms where my first impression was "huh?", my second impression was "wtf?!" and my third impression was "what even am I do?!?", all of which turned out to be lots of fun. Most recently a clusterf*ck with Bandit Fort and almost no draw and almost no villages to power it, plus Catapult to slow down low-draw strategies. It made the game very slow for both of us, so it was fair, and figuring out how to navigate the maze of horrors was quite fun. (I've probably played less than 100 games with Empires. Certainly less than 100 kingdoms; we play 3+ on each.)

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2018, 12:14:15 pm »
+1

Apparently our tastes differ. I have rolled several random all-Empires kingdoms where my first impression was "huh?", my second impression was "wtf?!" and my third impression was "what even am I do?!?", all of which turned out to be lots of fun.

You are saying you enjoy being thrown to the wolves, as much or more as there being just a little uncertainty?
Uncertainty is good.  I like it when i play a 3 player game, and all three players open differently on the same 3-4 split. But complete brain-melty-ness is not desired (for me).  It's more fun to slowly unlock a puzzle from a place of confusion, than to get to the end of the game still confused.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »
+1

Apparently our tastes differ. [...] "what even am I do?!?" [...] lots of fun.
You are saying you enjoy being thrown to the wolves, as much or more as there being just a little uncertainty? [...]
I think you might have read a little more into my words than I intended to put there, but only a little bit.

I like playing a game where I know some rules of thumb and understand why they're generally true—such as "trashing is good" and "drawing your entire deck is good" and "Chapel is better in engines than in big money" and "Port is often a better buy than Bustling Village" and "Mountebank is stronger than Fortune Teller".

I also like when my expectations are thrown out the window. I like it when there's no "there's one trasher, one village, one terminal draw, one +buy and an attack to slow a money player down—I'm building the engine; let's see, can I throw any of the other cards in for support?" and also not even a "there's Enchantress and City Quarter which is strong draw that I'm not used to mathing; there's only slow trashing in Sacrifice and there's alt-VP in Castles but that's a lot of green cards which will hurt my action density—gee, I wonder if it's better than the best money strategy?"

I like it when boards are just completely weird and nothing fits together and you have to glue something together that accomplishes something, but however you do it it's going to be weird and awkward and you'll always go "does this even make sense?"

But, and this is the thing I probably didn't convey all that well: I like that as a diversion. I like having a game that's somewhat reasonably well-understood most of the time and a completely crazy a handful of times every blue moon.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
+14

Tom Vasel
Action – $3
+$2
Discard the top card of your deck. If the discarded card is an Action, don't read it carefully, but decide whether you like it. If you do, you may play it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:29:54 am by AJD »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.