Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 139395 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #550 on: December 17, 2020, 05:00:56 am »

Randomness means search isn't going to help much, unlike in chess and go. Randomness isn't itself such a big problem; IIRC computers were playing superhuman backgammon before superhuman chess. But it does diminish the opportunity to out-calculate humans.

Doesn't that also work the other way round? Humans are notoriously garbage at calculating probability (especially at guesstimating it when the math gets too complicated to do on the fly), but for computers, it's trivial. Working out chess or go decision trees in your head is still impossibly hard to do even nearly as comprehensively as computers can because you just don't have the brain capacity to do it, but I don't think it's an inherently difficult skill for humans.
Could be. I'm not sure about this point.

I should also clarify that I'm imagining an AlphaZero-style AI that learns strategy for itself. It's probably more straightforward to make a superhuman Dominion AI by giving it a lot of per-card strategy hints, but that's a lot of work and not very interesting.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 17, 2020, 08:52:59 am »

AFAIK, computers are still garbage at the strategic part of Starcraft.

I don't think so. AlphaStar had a decent series against Serral, and it had strictly limited APM.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 17, 2020, 04:07:07 pm »
+1

AFAIK, computers are still garbage at the strategic part of Starcraft.

I don't think so. AlphaStar had a decent series against Serral, and it had strictly limited APM.
I vaguely remember that being more driven by consistent micro (which is an advantage computers have even with limited APM) than by strategy. I think SC is kind of a bad testbed because being real-time makes it hard to get a meaningfully even comparison with humans.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2020, 01:34:20 pm »

When Best Buy says "same day delivery", they really mean it, even if it means that your doorbell rings at 11:56 PM because your package has been delivered.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 25, 2020, 05:52:27 am »

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 01:44:07 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 12, 2021, 05:50:00 pm »
+1

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 10, 2021, 10:59:37 am »

I saw a puzzle once along the lines of:

White to play and force Black to achieve checkmate in 12 moves.

EDIT: And now that I look for it I find that wikipedia has an entry on "Selfmate", so it seems to be an established type of problem.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:01:21 am by infangthief »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #557 on: June 20, 2021, 10:38:10 pm »

big cats like pumas and tigers can get absolutely zooted via catnip, just like house cats do

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 21, 2021, 06:55:33 pm »
+2

Oh hey if we’re posting chess puzzles here, this is a really cool one:

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 23, 2021, 02:17:54 am »
+1

Is this it?

Uppercase = white
Lowercase = black

n = K
i = R
k = B
g = N
t = Q
h = P

Previous move was by black: bxc1=R+

I tried to only do provable deductions to get here, so it should be a unique solution, but my confidence in accuracy is low.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 23, 2021, 09:43:27 am »

Nvm I'm stupid bluelimp got it. I missed the diagonal promotion. Good puzzle. This solution is most certainly unique.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:03:48 am by silverspawn »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 23, 2021, 12:28:05 pm »

OK, this looks fun. Here's my deductions:

The king must be a letter of which there's exactly one on each side. Thus N is the king.

T, I, G and K cannot be pawns, because each of those letters is on a back rank somewhere. So H is the pawn.

I cannot be the queen, because then both kings would be in check. G cannot be a queen or bishop, because the c3 king would be in an illegal double check from the two pieces.

Suppose the c3 king is not in check. Then I would have to be the bishop, with G and T being rook and knight between them, but that leaves K as the queen, and then the king on b6 is in an illegal double check from the bishop on a5 and queen on b8. Thus the c3 king is in check and the b6 king is not. This, in turn, means I is a rook or knight, and K a knight or bishop. Thus T is the queen. This leaves K as the only possible option for the bishop.

The king on c3 must be in double check from the queen on a1 and either a knight on a2 or a rook or c1. The first is an impossible double check, but the second is possible if it's a black rook and the last move was ...b2xc1=R+. So upper case letters are white.

N - king
T - queen
I - rook
K - bishop
G - knight
H - pawn

Upper case = white
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 23, 2021, 09:21:17 pm »

Having not memorized the exact solution myself, I can say that the three answers posted are almost certainly correct because they all mention a pawn promotion as the last move, which is the only way to make it possible.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2021, 12:31:33 am »
+1

How am I still the 25th most prolific poster in these forums? I've barely even been here in the past seven years.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #564 on: August 08, 2021, 04:14:22 am »
+1

How am I still the 25th most prolific poster in these forums? I've barely even been here in the past seven years.

Most of the discussion is on the Discord nowadays, the forum is pretty much just for Mafia and VAFC at this point.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 24, 2021, 04:00:48 am »
+2

My parents' Alexa completely at random and unprovoked: “I prefer to throw it down.”

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 24, 2021, 03:51:57 pm »
+6

I've reached a weird point where when I play old games, I sometimes look online for info about them - strategy stuff, formulae and so on. And I find a good post giving the kind of detail I'm after, only to realise it was posted my myself, 5-10 years ago. It's a strange feeling.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 24, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »

I've reached a weird point where when I play old games, I sometimes look online for info about them - strategy stuff, formulae and so on. And I find a good post giving the kind of detail I'm after, only to realise it was posted my myself, 5-10 years ago. It's a strange feeling.

I have definitely had this happen with posts on this forum about Dominion.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 05, 2022, 06:22:04 pm »

In a Pandemic: On the Brink game two days ago, I came across an unusual and incredibly specific combo, whose benefit is pretty minor.

For reference:
Troubleshooter - looks at the top infection cards at the start of their turn, reveals cities to direct fly there
One Quiet Night - skips the infection phase this turn

We were playing Bioterrorism challenge, and it was the troubleshooters turn. I saw the top two cards of the deck, and there was a problem I couldn't fix, a big one. So I used One Quiet Night. In the course of the turn, I ran into the Bioterrorist, and with one somewhat spare action captured him.

Then it's the Bioterrorist's turn, and suddenly they've got a pretty weird choice to make. Do they draw one and escape - but I know that top card is possibly bad for me if I draw it considering I OQN'd it. So maybe they pass instead? If they do draw it, I also know the next top card, so the probably just want to escape. But maybe I saw that the city they would escape to is awkward, so they might draw twice... And I know the second card as well.

Ultimately the mind games sound far more complex than they are, but it's definitely an unusual way to deal with a problem as the troubleshooter. "Yeah, so there's a big issue with Shanghai, looks like we may have an outbreak there soon. So to prevent it I'm going to drive to Cairo and capture a Bioterrorist."
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2022, 10:13:08 am »
+1

I have something similar where I'm looking for suggestions on a piece of software, and I'm like hey, here's a post from someone with the same issue, only to see that it was posted by me 3 years earlier.

If I'm lucky, someone's posted a solution since then. Sometimes not, and I'm even more frustrated.
A man has no signature

Glitters

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin Games
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2022, 05:15:21 am »

Here's how to make people believe in anything you say in a serious manner) most of people don't actually care aboutexploring, having their own view and opinion etc... staying a consumer seems easier but it's a self-deception ofc
pls evaluate our project Kevin.games!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2022, 02:01:08 pm »
+4

Well, that was indeed random. Thanks.
A man has no signature

IsotropicWasBetter

• Scout
  • "Goko is the Best"- said no-one ever
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 26, 2022, 07:11:29 pm »
+4

I'm pregnant! And #gokowasworse is the father

GokoWasWorse

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 26, 2022, 07:12:40 pm »
+3

I'm pregnant! And #gokowasworse is the father
United in the true belief that #gokowasworse

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 22, 2023, 05:01:38 pm »

Apparently we need to name the road our house will be built on. It's a small easement road shared between 5 houses; we're supposed to submit suggestions. Crowdsourcing it! The main road it's off of is Peach Orchard Road; looking for something that conveys serenity or nature.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.