Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 138885 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2019, 03:54:51 pm »
+5

Noble Brigand shoots arrows at people. Then they gain copper.

Explain.

The arrowheads are made out of copper.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2019, 04:28:56 pm »
+1

Noble Brigand shoots arrows at people. Then they gain copper.

Explain.

The arrowheads are made out of copper.

Just because you got to it first doesn't mean you can just brazenly steal my answer, you cad!

Why if I had a copper arrowhead right now, I'd give you such an impaling.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2019, 02:33:36 pm »
+4

Recently I went to a talk about the Flat Earth phenomenon and what's causing such an easily disproven myth to gain traction. It was pretty interesting. I'll just share a few highlight points in case anyone here ends up talking with one of these kind of people.

1) Often they are not flat earthers because of a complete lack of scientific knowledge, but because of being misled by poorly executed science and experiments. Often on Youtube - people doing flawed experiments or reaching the wrong conclusion from the experiments they have done (such as seeing if a spirit level remains flat while on a plane and similar).

2) Flat earthers often - very often - link in with many other conspiracy theories. This can range from "the Moon landing is fake" - which makes sense if you think space is fake - right up to much more sinister things such as Holocaust denial and similar. Be careful.

3) Perhaps most important (which is why I buried it as number 3, go me) there isn't just a single "flat earth" model that's agreed on. Talk to 10 different flat earthers* and you'll get 10 different ideas on what the Flat Earth is, how it works and why it works. In fact there are schisms in the community, with some sides basically claiming the other are government shills designed to mislead people and discredit the theory. Yup, it's an, uh, interesting community.

4) When interacting with this kind of people, it is very easy and tempting to act smug and conceited since you know you're right and they're wrong. And of course, you are - but bear in mind from their point of view, they're right and have realised something you've not, and so this attitude often only further serves to reinforce. Don't take an aggressive or superior approach.

5) Similar to the above, but how often do you interact with Flat Earthers and hear their arguments? Probably never, right. They interact with us every day, and hear the same arguments constantly. They have answers to them. If you come out all guns blazing and argue points, they will usually have an answer to you because they already thought of it, and unless you are a serious expert at physics (usually) there's a high chance you'll get caught out in being unable to answer them eventually - you're dropping down to their level and they beat you through experience. Instead you're generally better off talking with them and getting them to try and explain their views. You don't have to lie and pretend to agree, just try and follow their line of thought, as though it might hold some merit - and ask them to clarify and explain points that you feel are incompatible with what you've seen/know from reality, rather than directly challenging them. This won't get you an instant "win" but that's because you stop it feeling like you vs. them. Instead you can act almost like a guide to them, making them question it for themselves. Remember what I said - a lot of these people aren't completely ignorant of science, they've just been deceived by bad science. If you can guide them into doing things right, there's a good chance they'll work out their mistakes.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2019, 02:37:43 pm »

A friend of mine mentioned watching a documentary on flat-earthers recently and said it was good.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2019, 04:23:41 pm »
+1

Who wants to read GPT-2 generated posts describing non-existent anime characters and their appearances in non-existent shows?

https://www.thiswaifudoesnotexist.net/index.html

(For those who haven't heard about it yet, GPT-2 is OpenAI's big project. It can write essays responding to a textual input (like two paragraphs). I'm not quite sure what it has as input here, maybe it can also respond to images.)

Late edit because this is just funny. So many twists.

iku is on a train to the train station with his family when a very cute girl is seen at the station. He tells the other children in the carriage that she's there and asks to leave. iku then finds out that after the girl he saw has fallen from the train, he is now an attractive girl. He has a crush on her. iku then goes to meet a girl at the station who offers him a job as a prostitute. iku agrees to help her. iku is the only customer, so a girl appears and tells him to stay with her. iku tells her to leave after talking to the other kids, telling her to find him. iku then proceeds to tell the girls that he and iku are going to meet up at the car wash. iku asks the girls to leave before he leaves her with a big kiss from her, then he kisses her. iku tells the girls that he will meet up for a picnic after he returns home. The next day, the new heroine of this anime is iku. A girl he meets in the parking lot of this cafe. The girls ask him about her. iku tells them to go on a date to a café where there's a man waiting to meet them but he refuses because he doesn't want to see the girl he was with and she has some form of mental illness. He then tells the girls to go home. yuuki takes this for a walk to her house. yuuki starts to have flashbacks to her past life, like when she was a kid and she lost her virginity, but she gets some insight into the place she grew up in. A few days later, yuuki wakes up to find that she and yuuki are in bed in each other's bed. yuuki asks her whether yuuki is asleep since she was in her sleep when she died. yuuki answers that she hasn't noticed, and that if it was, she wouldn't have been at the same place. yuuki says that he won't be leaving her forever, and the girls all say that he has no problem going home because he wants to spend eternity. This story has many different endings as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:58:12 pm by silverspawn »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2019, 09:12:14 pm »

A friend of mine mentioned watching a documentary on flat-earthers recently and said it was good.

Behind the Curve?  I watched this a few nights ago and it's pretty incredible.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2019, 09:20:33 pm »

Recently I went to a talk about the Flat Earth phenomenon and what's causing such an easily disproven myth to gain traction. It was pretty interesting. I'll just share a few highlight points in case anyone here ends up talking with one of these kind of people.

1) Often they are not flat earthers because of a complete lack of scientific knowledge, but because of being misled by poorly executed science and experiments. Often on Youtube - people doing flawed experiments or reaching the wrong conclusion from the experiments they have done (such as seeing if a spirit level remains flat while on a plane and similar).

2) Flat earthers often - very often - link in with many other conspiracy theories. This can range from "the Moon landing is fake" - which makes sense if you think space is fake - right up to much more sinister things such as Holocaust denial and similar. Be careful.

3) Perhaps most important (which is why I buried it as number 3, go me) there isn't just a single "flat earth" model that's agreed on. Talk to 10 different flat earthers* and you'll get 10 different ideas on what the Flat Earth is, how it works and why it works. In fact there are schisms in the community, with some sides basically claiming the other are government shills designed to mislead people and discredit the theory. Yup, it's an, uh, interesting community.

4) When interacting with this kind of people, it is very easy and tempting to act smug and conceited since you know you're right and they're wrong. And of course, you are - but bear in mind from their point of view, they're right and have realised something you've not, and so this attitude often only further serves to reinforce. Don't take an aggressive or superior approach.

5) Similar to the above, but how often do you interact with Flat Earthers and hear their arguments? Probably never, right. They interact with us every day, and hear the same arguments constantly. They have answers to them. If you come out all guns blazing and argue points, they will usually have an answer to you because they already thought of it, and unless you are a serious expert at physics (usually) there's a high chance you'll get caught out in being unable to answer them eventually - you're dropping down to their level and they beat you through experience. Instead you're generally better off talking with them and getting them to try and explain their views. You don't have to lie and pretend to agree, just try and follow their line of thought, as though it might hold some merit - and ask them to clarify and explain points that you feel are incompatible with what you've seen/know from reality, rather than directly challenging them. This won't get you an instant "win" but that's because you stop it feeling like you vs. them. Instead you can act almost like a guide to them, making them question it for themselves. Remember what I said - a lot of these people aren't completely ignorant of science, they've just been deceived by bad science. If you can guide them into doing things right, there's a good chance they'll work out their mistakes.

The last point is pretty interesting, because there is a lot of things that we take for granted and assume are true (for good reason, generally). If you actually think about trying to prove everything you take to be true, it's an almost insurmountable task.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 04, 2019, 01:26:44 am »
+1

(For those who haven't heard about it yet, GPT-2 is OpenAI's big project. It can write essays responding to a textual input (like two paragraphs). I'm not quite sure what it has as input here, maybe it can also respond to images.)

https://www.gwern.net/TWDNE

1. Seed GPT-2 with a bunch of anime keywords to get it to generate text that looks like an anime synopsis

The seed is
Code: [Select]
"Anime ai nani arigatou gomen \
        sayonara chigau dame Madoka jigoku kami kanojo mahou magical girl youkai 4koma yonkoma Japan Oreimo baka \
        chibi gakuran schoolgirl school uniform club Funimation Gainax Khara Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki Saber Fate \
        Stay Night Pop Team Epic Japanese Aria Escaflowne Kanon Clannad comedy itai manga Shonen Jump pocky \
        tsundere urusai weeaboo yaoi yuri zettai harem senpai otaku waifu weeb fanfiction doujinshi trope \
        Anime News Network Anime Central Touhou kanji kaiju Neon Genesis Evangelion Spice and Wolf Holo Asuka \
        kawaii bishonen bishojo visual novel light novel video game story plot Fruits Basket Toradora Taiga \
        Aisaka tiger Detective Conan Pokemon Osamu Tezuka cat ears neko romantic comedy little sister character \
        plot drama article nekomimi bunny isekai tanuki catgirl moe manga manga manga anime anime anime review \
        plot summary. An exciting cute kawaii new anime series based on a light novel shoujo manga called  \
        \"I Can't Believe My Alien Visitor Is My Little Sister\" or \"MAVISM\", a sequel to \"Raccoon Girl\", \
        is the latest hit. In the first episode of this anime, "

The output is some gibberish that looks like an anime synopsis.

2. To improve quality, take a synopsis outputted by GPT-2 and feed it as the new prompt to get a further elaboration on that fake anime - this is the final output used.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 05, 2019, 06:10:08 pm »

Has anybody here talked about what "deceptively" in phrases like "deceptively easy" or "deceptively delicious" are supposed to mean? Is a thing that is "deceptively easy" something that is easier than it looks or harder than it looks? I think it's been used to describe both, and sometimes context isn't enough to distinguish.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #409 on: March 05, 2019, 07:22:54 pm »
+2

I have been under the assumption that it means it's easier than it looks.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 05, 2019, 07:28:00 pm »
+2

I think I usually take it as "deceptively X" means "it appears, or is technically X, but in practice it's actually not-X". So "deceptively simple" in terms of a game means "the rules are very simple, but gameplay results in complicated decision-making". I would read "deceptively delicious" as meaning something like "it's actually delicious, but it has some property that you wouldn't expect based on its taste, e.g. its made from some weird combination of ingredients or is surprisingly nutritious".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #411 on: March 05, 2019, 07:43:52 pm »
+1

I would read "deceptively delicious" as meaning something like "it's actually delicious, but it has some property that you wouldn't expect based on its taste, e.g. its made from some weird combination of ingredients or is surprisingly nutritious".

Oh yeah, I think that's more accurate than what I first said — i.e. "deceptively x" means "you would expect it to be y because things that are x are often also y, but in this case, it is x without being y". Like you would expect it to be a boring game since it's a simple game, but it's an interesting simple game instead.

At first I was thinking that you would expect it to be a complicated game since it's an interesting game, which is sort of the same thing in practice, but not in principle.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:47:32 pm by Awaclus »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2019, 10:35:24 pm »

I've always read it the way Awaclus originally said; that something that is deceptively easy is easier than it looks. I would say that a game with complicated decision making, yet simple rules, is deceptively complicated.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 06, 2019, 01:45:44 am »
+1

I've always read it the way Awaclus originally said; that something that is deceptively easy is easier than it looks. I would say that a game with complicated decision making, yet simple rules, is deceptively complicated.

Well see, you have the Hearthstone tagline: "Deceptively simple. Insanely fun". The implication here is that Hearthstone is easy to pick up, but has layers of complexity as you dig deeper into it. This is in line with what ConMan was saying and Awaclus's response to it.

Thing is, this does not mean that people won't use the term "deceptively simple" to mean it is easier than it looks. Looking into it, this is one of those terms that people can't agree on, and so the recommendation is to avoid using the expression of context does not make the meaning clear. My first reaction is to think it means "it deceives you into thinking it's simple when the reality is more nuanced".

I don't think it's as bad as "bi-monthly" because at least the "deceptively" expressions lend themselves more to contextual clues. Like, if you find a cook book called "deceptively delicious", it would seem odd to me if it talked about how to make food that looks unappetizing but is actually tasty. It turns out there is a book called "Deceptively Delicious", and it talks about using healthy foods as ingredients for appetizing dishes like speghetti and meatballs. So "deceptively delicious" as used here doesn't seem like it means "less delicious than it appears" or "more delicious than it appears". It's instead the "I can't believe it's not butter" thing where something is tasty despite being made unconventionally. Again, that's in line with ConMan's interpretation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 06, 2019, 05:42:39 pm »

I would say that I don't necessarily think that the alternative *isn't* an interpretation, it's just not the one that I immediately go to.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2019, 12:48:32 am »

Has anybody here talked about what "deceptively" in phrases like "deceptively easy" or "deceptively delicious" are supposed to mean? Is a thing that is "deceptively easy" something that is easier than it looks or harder than it looks? I think it's been used to describe both, and sometimes context isn't enough to distinguish.

Along these same lines:

cleave verb (1)
\ ˈklēv  \
cleaved\ ˈklēvd  \ or clove\ ˈklōv  \ also clave\ ˈklāv  \; cleaved; cleaving
Definition of cleave
intransitive verb

1. to adhere firmly and closely.
2. to separate into distinct parts.

One word, two completely opposite definitions.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2019, 08:23:55 am »

Remember the old days when there was only you and your cards?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #417 on: March 09, 2019, 11:19:58 am »
+4

Remember the old days when there was only you and your cards?

Oh yeah. Nowadays there are other people too.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 09, 2019, 02:33:32 pm »

I've spent significantly more time on this forum than I have actually playing Dominion.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 09, 2019, 03:58:16 pm »

I've spent significantly more time on this forum than I have actually playing Dominion.

And that was from last May.....Awaclus has distanced himself from Witherweaver now with 310 days to 281 days.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #420 on: March 10, 2019, 10:42:17 am »

And that was from last May.....Awaclus has distanced himself from Witherweaver now with 310 days to 281 days.

Wtf, how has Witherweaver only used f.ds for 3 days over the course of a year? It's not like he quit or anything.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2019, 11:50:08 pm »

Help me remember a phrase... what is it called when you take advantage of a situation to make sure people know where you stand on an issue? Like, if a racist act were in the news, and you post about how you think it was such a horrible thing, because you really want people to know that you think racism is bad.

It’s like lip service, but different. Lip service is more about not doing anything more than just talking about something. The thing I’m thinking of is more about the desire for people to know where you stand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2019, 12:26:04 am »
+3

Help me remember a phrase... what is it called when you take advantage of a situation to make sure people know where you stand on an issue? Like, if a racist act were in the news, and you post about how you think it was such a horrible thing, because you really want people to know that you think racism is bad.

It’s like lip service, but different. Lip service is more about not doing anything more than just talking about something. The thing I’m thinking of is more about the desire for people to know where you stand.

Virtue-signaling?
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 13, 2019, 04:54:56 am »

It's called "80% of human behavior". Or "(vitue) signaling," alternatively.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #424 on: March 13, 2019, 05:07:38 am »
+1

I still associate a certain sense of dishonesty with the term virtue signaling. Like maybe you do think that racism is bad but you don't really care too much about it, but the way you post makes people think you care a lot, or perhaps you even convince yourself to care a lot but only for the sake of improving your virtue points in other people's eyes, not out of compassion. To use a different example, all the big corporations changing their social media profile pictures to a rainbow flag variation during the pride week would be virtue signaling whereas a gay rights organization doing the same wouldn't, in my opinion; that would just be them being true to themselves.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.