Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 139417 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2018, 05:16:22 pm »

I actually managed to beat it first try with one shot left. It's not too difficult, but the challenge to try to do it on your first try is what ups the stakes, because you aren't sure whether you still have time to figure out the solution, or if the yeti is about to kill you.

You do need to shoot at least two times    to beat the game. I managed to "perfect" it on my second try, was fun :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:17:42 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2018, 05:27:29 pm »

I actually managed to beat it first try with one shot left. It's not too difficult, but the challenge to try to do it on your first try is what ups the stakes, because you aren't sure whether you still have time to figure out the solution, or if the yeti is about to kill you.

You do need to shoot at least two times    to beat the game. I managed to "perfect" it on my second try, was fun :)

Yeah it's very easy to beat if you use undo. I also just figured out the remaining way to save a bullet.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2018, 03:17:17 am »
+1

guah I made it on the third try with zero shots left  :'(

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2018, 10:09:00 am »

guah I made it on the third try with zero shots left  :'(

Do you want tips?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:35 am »

I'd like to know what you can do about the thin and fat yeti. the fact that they're thin and fat has to mean something, but I couldn't think of a way to use it. On the third try I went into another room and waited a while, then one of them was gone and I had to use only one shot instead of two, but I'm assuming there's a better way.

Also about the boss, what non-shooting thing can you do besides using the coffee?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2018, 12:36:15 pm »

I'd like to know what you can do about the thin and fat yeti. the fact that they're thin and fat has to mean something, but I couldn't think of a way to use it. On the third try I went into another room and waited a while, then one of them was gone and I had to use only one shot instead of two, but I'm assuming there's a better way.

Also about the boss, what non-shooting thing can you do besides using the coffee?

1) There isn't, that's one of the two scenes where you actually have to use a shot.
2) You can push the bookshelf on him and push the chair out of the window.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »

A bit less spoilerific than Awaclus, who gave away the answer:

If you have finished the game, you know that you need to shoot at least twice to beat it. As far as I could tell, the only reason those two yetis are different is so that you can specify which one you are shooting if both follow you to the chopper, but I may be wrong.

As far as the boss, you can beat him without shooting even once. Check the description of his room a bit more closely. There is unfortunately some guess-the-verb involved but nothing too bad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »
+1

I actually did try to push over the bookshelf, and it didn't work. I must have used the wrong verb. I didn't try using the chair, though.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2018, 10:32:03 pm »

kuildeous r u married? @kuildeous
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:08 am »
+1

kuildeous r u married? @kuildeous

Yes.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:14 am »

Argh! My one weakness: A stupid Facebook message with people answering a simple math problem by applying addition before multiplication. Why can't I quit you?

This time, it's a screen shot of a poll asking people to answer 2+2*4.Not only did a distressing majority answer that the correct answer is 16, but the correct answer isn't even listed in the poll. I'm suspecting a troll poll. Then there's a caption that wonders if it's scarier that so many people answered 13 as the correct answer. I can actually see that. It's the closest to the real answer, so these are likely all people trying to point to the correct answer. At least I really hope so.
A man has no signature

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:55 am »
+4

This time, it's a screen shot of a poll asking people to answer 2+2*4.Not only did a distressing majority answer that the correct answer is 16, but the correct answer isn't even listed in the poll. I'm suspecting a troll poll. Then there's a caption that wonders if it's scarier that so many people answered 13 as the correct answer. I can actually see that. It's the closest to the real answer, so these are likely all people trying to point to the correct answer. At least I really hope so.
I'm going to assume that those were all physicists.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2018, 09:47:51 pm »
+3

Obviously, those people knew that

x*y = y/x^2 + xy + x.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2018, 08:54:54 am »

x*y = y/x^2 + xy + x.

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some cleverness happening, but I fear it may be too inside of a joke for it to register with me.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »

x*y = y/x^2 + xy + x.

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some cleverness happening, but I fear it may be too inside of a joke for it to register with me.

x=2, y=4, Witherweaver is suggesting * from 2+2*4 is a relation, mapping (x,y) to y/x^2 + xy + x. So 2*4 = 4/2^2 + 2*4 + 2 = 11, and hence 2+2*4 = 13

Less of an inside joke and more just a subtle mathematical one. Well played Witherweaver.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »

x*y = y/x^2 + xy + x.

x=2, y=4, Witherweaver is suggesting * from 2+2*4 is a relation, mapping (x,y) to y/x^2 + xy + x. So 2*4 = 4/2^2 + 2*4 + 2 = 11, and hence 2+2*4 = 13

Less of an inside joke and more just a subtle mathematical one. Well played Witherweaver.

Ah, I didn't realize he was justifying the answer as 13. Very nice indeed now that I am aware of that.

Recent Facebook hell now has me scrolling through answers for the question of how much money did a store owner lose if you stole a $100 bill from the register and then used that bill to buy $70 worth of merchandise. I'm more forgiving of this one because for some people, it can be tricky to follow along. At least it's not flat-out ignoring order of operations.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2018, 02:17:27 pm »

Recent Facebook hell now has me scrolling through answers for the question of how much money did a store owner lose if you stole a $100 bill from the register and then used that bill to buy $70 worth of merchandise. I'm more forgiving of this one because for some people, it can be tricky to follow along. At least it's not flat-out ignoring order of operations.

Well, you can't give an accurate answer to that question if that's the only information you are given. Does the money in the register belong to the store owner and is the store owner directly gaining all profits from sales? If not, how much does stealing the $100 correlate with the store owner getting paid less, and likewise for the profits? Were you going to buy that merch anyway or did you only buy it because you had an extra $100 after stealing it? If you weren't going to buy it anyway, was someone else going to buy it anyway or was it just going to sit there? If someone else was going to buy it anyway, but at a later date, what is the inflation rate? If you bought $70 "worth" of merch, presumably that means you're paying $70 for it but the store probably paid less than $70, so how much did the store have to pay for the merch? Depending on the answers to these questions, the store owner could lose anywhere between nothing and $100.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2018, 02:50:21 pm »

Drop the owner part. How much did the store lose?

The markup is an important distinction, though lost revenue is a thing, but just like many textbook questions, this doesn't figure into the calculation.

My favorite is the woman who talked herself into stating that the store lost $270. Her being wrong was nothing special, but the magnitude in which she was wrong is pretty amazing.
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »
+5

Paul Erdos refused to believe the solution to the Monty Hall problem.

alinatolm

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:19 pm »
+1

Posting to avoid captcha

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2018, 04:54:59 pm »

A lot of academics refused to believe it as well:
http://marilynvossavant.com/game-show-problem/

I didn't accept it at first either, but I at least wasn't a petulant little dick about it.

I ate crow when someone suggested expanding the puzzle to 1000 doors. Made me re-examine the math while acknowledging my blinders.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2018, 05:16:45 pm »
+1

Posting to avoid captcha

Perhaps the most random of all first posts. Welcome!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2018, 05:25:13 pm »

Drop the owner part. How much did the store lose?

The markup is an important distinction, though lost revenue is a thing, but just like many textbook questions, this doesn't figure into the calculation.

My favorite is the woman who talked herself into stating that the store lost $270. Her being wrong was nothing special, but the magnitude in which she was wrong is pretty amazing.

Even ignoring the salary vs profit bits; it IS necessary to know if money gained by selling stuff counts as actual money gained; or whether it only counts as transferring assets from goods to cash.

In other words, if the theft hadn't happened, and someone walked in and bought $70 worth of stuff, would we say that the store made $70? There's 3 equally valid answers to that question:

1. The store made $70, because it has $70 more cash now than before.
2. The store didn't make anything, because although it has $70 more cash, it no longer has the items that could be sold for $70.
3. The store made whatever profit was made depending on the cost basis of the goods that were sold. So more than $0 but less than $70.

Which of the 3 answers you give to that question will determine the answer to "how much did the store lose in the theft?"
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:23 pm »
+2

Posting to avoid captcha

Perhaps the most random of all first posts. Welcome!

Well, it would be a pretty random first post, but it's a pretty common third post when the others are in Forum Games.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »

A lot of academics refused to believe it as well:
http://marilynvossavant.com/game-show-problem/

I didn't accept it at first either, but I at least wasn't a petulant little dick about it.

I ate crow when someone suggested expanding the puzzle to 1000 doors. Made me re-examine the math while acknowledging my blinders.

I still think it makes much more sense to ask what the probability is when you first pick, and realize that that probability doesn't change when the host opens another door.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.