Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 139509 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »

Netflix will take over the world with the skip intro button. It's now a better product than having an entire show on the harddrive.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »
+1

Netflix will take over the world with the skip intro button. It's now a better product than having an entire show on the harddrive.

Having an entire show on the hard drive has had that feature ever since mkv chapters.

EDIT: Looked it up, chapters were introduced into mkv in 2003-08-04.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:33:24 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »

What's worth watching on Netflix these days?
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:07 pm »

Does that mean they got rid of the thing where it automatically skips the intro? Because for some shows it automatically does (or did) skip the intro whenever you watch more than one episode at a time. And sometimes, like with Series of Unfortunate Events, the intro differs from episode to episode and I want to see it, which means I have to rewind. Which is annoying when I'm watching on the Wii U (which is the Netflix device I have hooked up to that TV), and the controls are sometimes unresponsive.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2018, 03:34:04 am »

Does that mean they got rid of the thing where it automatically skips the intro? Because for some shows it automatically does (or did) skip the intro whenever you watch more than one episode at a time.

No, it still does that

for you ... uh ... s03e06 of black mirror if you haven't seen it. maaaybe the series of unfortunate events or jessica jones.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2018, 01:08:30 pm »

Lost in Space looks promising, though I've only seen the first couple episodes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2018, 02:27:33 pm »

Most DVDs have always had a skip intro button, called next chapter. Though sometimes DVDs have poor chapter divisions where that doesn't work. In which case fast-forwarding for a few seconds does the same thing, but takes 3-5 seconds instead of 1 second.

And yeah, it's annoying with shows like Family Guy, where they will occasionally have a joke stuck in the middle of the opening credits. It's only happened like 3-4 times in the first 14 seasons, but you still have to watch (or at least fast-forward through) all the credits just in case.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2018, 02:34:57 pm »

Does that mean they got rid of the thing where it automatically skips the intro? Because for some shows it automatically does (or did) skip the intro whenever you watch more than one episode at a time.

No, it still does that

for you ... uh ... s03e06 of black mirror if you haven't seen it. maaaybe the series of unfortunate events or jessica jones.

Hmm.. not a fan of Black Mirror overall, though that's going on the first season or two mostly, and I haven't seen more than the VR spaceship episode of the most recent set. They clearly like playing with "edgy" ideas, but not enough to think very far through the implications for those overall in society, so I feel like it ends up as a series of seemingly controversial but fundamentally empty statements. Also I think I like things better if they come in lots of installments like GoT. You were the one who convinced me I should give that a try, so now I'm looking for a recommendation that's at least as good :-P
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2018, 05:08:48 pm »

Also I think I like things better if they come in lots of installments like GoT. You were the one who convinced me I should give that a try, so now I'm looking for a recommendation that's at least as good :-P

Well, let me know if you find something, because I've certainly never seen any show as good as first 5 seasons of GoT. The four or so shows that I think come somewhat close are all things that I don't think you'd like, including Black Mirror. But Black mirror episodes are standalone, so you can just view s03e06 as a 70 minute long movie without bothering with the rest.

I don't think Black Mirror is generally trying to have a message. I think it's mostly depicting possible futures and then sets a plausible story in them.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2018, 05:38:42 pm »

There's this song that gets played a lot on local radio at the moment. 2002 by uhh Anne something or other. It's an okay song, terrible music video (I regret checking).

The song is weird. It's about the year 2002, when the singer was 11. I don't even know if the writer of the song realised, but despite being released this year, the song is actually set in 2009. Basically: The first verse is about 2002, when the singer was 11, and is in past tense. Then the second verse is when she's 18, and is in present tense. So... yeah. It's set in 2009, despite being released this year.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2018, 08:42:42 am »

Maybe it took 9 years to finish the song?

Stretching here.
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2018, 01:40:04 pm »
+2

I was 21 years when I wrote this song
I'm 22 now but I won't be for long

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:07 pm »

I had fun with a learning module we're developing. It is superhero-themed. Spent an hour laughing maniacally and uttering villain lines if the learner chooses the side of evil.

I kind of worry that the training might be off a bit as people may choose the wrong answer just to hear what the villains are saying. Certainly more fun that the hero speeches.

And hey, I got to say rue. I rue the fact that we don't say rue enough times.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »

It's also worth noting that the narrator in a song/poem need not be the same as the author.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2018, 05:35:29 am »

I rue the fact that we don't say rue enough times.

I feel like that's not how 'rue' is meant to be used...

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2018, 08:55:59 am »
+1

Yeah, well, and sauerkraut was not meant to be used as underwear insulation, yet here we are.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2018, 11:49:15 am »
+3

Yeah, it's like he's on completely the wrong street.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:57 pm »
+1

I was trying to reproduce code someone else wrote, and it called some object.log() function at one point, behind an if statement for if "log" is enabled.  You know, some debug logging.  I was just trying to reproduce a basic result that the original code could do, but I had a problem for ages and couldn't figure it out.  I finally realized that the log() function was actually computing a logarithm, and not debug logging...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2018, 04:12:12 pm »
+1

So, I had a random idea for a board game a few days ago, while trying to think of a good semi-mathsy game for the end of school term (still trying to think of something if anyone has ideas, only one week left now!). I think it might actually be... interesting, sorta. The following is a brief description, and likely vague because it's just an idea, but I'd like to know if people think it sounds reasonable. I'll add uncertainties in brackets.

The game takes place on a square grid (possibly with obstacles/holes/walls on it for interest). Players are trying to place as many tiles on the grid of their own... colour/symbol (since tiles are shared, not sure how this would be tracked easily). There is a random selection of available tiles which are replenished every time one is played, of varying shape and size. Some tiles have a special mark on them, allowing you to place them over other players/your own tiles, otherwise each tile must fit into its own space (maybe own space or over your own tiles only).

Not sure how this bit would work yet, but play would not be circular but rather using a quick bidding system. Players start with some number of counters (maybe 15) and can hold some number in their hand secretly each round to bid on getting a turn. Highest bid takes a turn, ties broken as closest player clockwise to last player who made a move. Somehow counters should be refreshed during the game - could be that counters are shared among other players (e.g. give your winning bid out one to each player clockwise until you run out) or similar. I'd probably need some extra mechanic to keep the game moving quickly, since having a bid every single round would be slow. Maybe the bids determine entire order of the round? I dunno yet.

Winner is the player at the end of the game who has the most territory covered. Or maybe some kind of points system - covering space earns points, achieving certain goals earns points, having counters left earns points etc.

Anyway, feel free to poke holes in the idea, suggest games that already have similar mechanics (I know it already has some similarity to Patchwork, a 2 player game by some prolific designer I've forgotten in the moment), or otherwise suggest things to make it not too stale. It'll probably go nowhere but ehh, maybe it's a nice idea.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:52 pm »
+1

I think you want some mechanic that gives long-term repercussions to tile placement, right now it sounds like where you place a tile is not important, as long as you actually placed it.

Can you place a tile partially covering other tiles? It’s not going to lat flat on the board if some of the spaces it’s covering already have a tile on them, while others don’t.

I am terrible at bidding games, so nothing to add there.

Blokus is an interesting tile placement game, if you haven’t heard of it.

EDIT: if I was making the game, I would do away with the bidding, and do something like:

6x6 board
A common pool of grey tiles, each being 2- or 3-spaces large. Three are available at any time, they get replenished as they are used.
Each player has a private pool of 4-space large tiles in their colour (think Tetris)

Each turn, a player places a grey tile, then they may place one of their own coloured tiles. Tiles can only be placed if all the spaces they cover are the same “height”. Grey tiles can only cover other grey tiles, or tiles from the active player. Player tiles can cover any colour, but they may not perfectly overlap another player’s tile.

Game ends when a player cannot place a grey tile during their turn or grey tile pool is exhausted. Players get one point per space covered by a tile in their colour.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:56:24 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2018, 05:30:21 am »
+2

Blokus is an interesting tile placement game, if you haven’t heard of it.

But I have heard of it, so is it interesting in this situation?

Anyway terrible logic jokes aside, you might be right about where you place a tile isn't too important - that's why I was considering there being points for objectives, e.g. building a 3x3 square is worth some amount of points, or making a continuous path from one side of the board to another, or other similar things.

Regarding the overlapping problem, what might be possible to do is something like... rather than placing the shapes onto the grid, you place 1x1 tiles based on e.g. the pattern on a card? That way if you can overlap someone, you just remove their tile and place your own, which is much easier to manage.

I do actually quite like the idea of there being a common gray and personal coloured pool. That could work.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »
+3

My university (University of Eastern Finland) was/is under a pretty large scale phishing attack, which I found somewhat amusing and it also demonstrates a pretty important lesson about modern cyber security, so I thought I'd share the story.

The attackers sent out a bunch of phishing e-mails until someone opened the link (which was presumably a fake site that looked like the UEF login page) and gave them his/her login credentials. After that, the attackers were able to use that e-mail address to send out even more phishing e-mails whose sender appeared as "UEF Help Desk" with an uef.fi e-mail address, which made the e-mails a lot more convincing. All of this happened after the working hours, so it took the university a while to react to the attack, which they did by sending out an announcement by e-mail where they basically described what had happened and urged people to change their passwords. After the announcement, the attackers sent out a bunch of their own e-mails about how there had been phishing e-mails, with a link that you could click to change your password, presumably leading to the exact same fake site, as well as e-mails about suspicious activity from Brazil being detected on your account, also with a similar link.

This all started roughly 2 weeks ago from what I can tell, and according to a (real) announcement by the university today, it is likely that the attack is still ongoing. They haven't published an estimate about how many accounts have been compromised, but I, being a random student, have seen people get these fake e-mails from at least 10-20 different compromised UEF accounts so that's a very conservative lower bound. It's pretty easy for native Finnish speakers to get suspicious about these e-mails that contain very poor Finnish, but UEF has a lot of international transfer students who are very vulnerable to this kind of an attack, and in fact all of the different compromised accounts that I was able to confirm did belong to people with foreign-sounding names.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2018, 03:59:22 pm »

http://iplayif.com/?story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ifarchive.org%2Fif-archive%2Fgames%2Fzcode%2FAOTYRZ.z5

from the same guy who made the awesome trans-dimensional brainchip webcoming

I seem to be bad at this. I think most of the time there was something creative you ought to do and I didn't find it.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »

Ugh, I'm the worst at these. How do you escape yetis without shooting at them?
S

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »

http://iplayif.com/?story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ifarchive.org%2Fif-archive%2Fgames%2Fzcode%2FAOTYRZ.z5

from the same guy who made the awesome trans-dimensional brainchip webcoming

I seem to be bad at this. I think most of the time there was something creative you ought to do and I didn't find it.

I had to undo twice (once because I accidentally did something I didn't mean to do in the first place unlocked a door that I had just locked, not realizing it was the same door, and once because of a game over). I'm usually bad at these types of games, but I feel like this one worked the way I expected almost every time.

Ugh, I'm the worst at these. How do you escape yetis without shooting at them?

You don't. I think there are two opportunities to deal with a yeti before it catches you, and you have to take at least one of them in order to not run out of bullets.

EDIT: that's actually wrong, there must be more opportunities to deal with yetis without having them catch you according to the "amusing things to do" option after the game but I haven't figured out more than two so far

EDIT 2: I figured out another one!

EDIT 3: Figured out another one!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:16:28 pm by Awaclus »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.