Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 139501 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:15 pm »
+1

The recent Nintendo Direct reminded me of a bold prediction that I wanted to put in writing somewhere (which I'm putting in spoilers in case you want to watch the Nintendo Direct first):

I suspect that at least one (probably two or three) battle modes from Kirby Battle Royale will appear in the next Smash Bros game. If I had to guess which ones, I would guess Apple Scramble and Dream Theater are the most likely, with Flag Ball maybe coming in third. In all cases, they will be completely re-themed, but mechanically similar to their Kirby counterparts.

My reasoning:

Hal regularly recycles mechanics (and even sound effects! see Melee and Kirby Air Ride) between Kirby games and Smash Bros. The co-op in the Subspace Emissary in Brawl is heavily modeled after Kirby Superstar; the Smash Run mode on Smash 3DS was clearly based on City Trial from Kirby Air Ride; Master Hand is Wam-Bam Rock from Kirby Superstar. After a few weeks of playing Kirby Battle Royale the idea occurred to me that the game might have been partially developed as a "test run" for certain battle modes in a Kirby game, to see what would be popular, so they could decide which ones to implement in the next Smash Bros. game (which will get magnitudes more plays than a Kirby spin-off game). The Smash series is always looking for new modes that will help prevent people from saying "this is just like the last one with a few more characters", and adding more "party-style" mini-games would help accomplish that.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:25 am »

Random question: Where did the meme "We are all Wandering Winder" originate from? Can't find where it all started.. :/
S

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:25 am »
+4

Random question: Where did the meme "We are all Wandering Winder" originate from? Can't find where it all started.. :/

Pretty sure Wandering Winder started it.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2018, 11:40:58 am »
+5

Inb4 “where did the WW meme come from” becomes a meme.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:27 pm »
+2

The recent Nintendo Direct reminded me of a bold prediction that I wanted to put in writing somewhere (which I'm putting in spoilers in case you want to watch the Nintendo Direct first):

I suspect that at least one (probably two or three) battle modes from Kirby Battle Royale will appear in the next Smash Bros game. If I had to guess which ones, I would guess Apple Scramble and Dream Theater are the most likely, with Flag Ball maybe coming in third. In all cases, they will be completely re-themed, but mechanically similar to their Kirby counterparts.

My reasoning:

Hal regularly recycles mechanics (and even sound effects! see Melee and Kirby Air Ride) between Kirby games and Smash Bros. The co-op in the Subspace Emissary in Brawl is heavily modeled after Kirby Superstar; the Smash Run mode on Smash 3DS was clearly based on City Trial from Kirby Air Ride; Master Hand is Wam-Bam Rock from Kirby Superstar. After a few weeks of playing Kirby Battle Royale the idea occurred to me that the game might have been partially developed as a "test run" for certain battle modes in a Kirby game, to see what would be popular, so they could decide which ones to implement in the next Smash Bros. game (which will get magnitudes more plays than a Kirby spin-off game). The Smash series is always looking for new modes that will help prevent people from saying "this is just like the last one with a few more characters", and adding more "party-style" mini-games would help accomplish that.

I think it seems likely. Smash Bros. has a ton of mechanics borrowed from games Sakurai worked on. It's frustrating that he seems to be a bit of an auteur and insists on including his own work so heavily in a game that's really more about the diversity of Nintendo in general. Not just in mechanics (although tripping was definitely something we all loved, right?), but you can see it in things like how much KI stuff was included in Smash 4 (3 characters, one of which had the largest custom move pool of any character) and Kirby before that. I'm hopeful the next smash will be different but I'm not expecting it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2018, 08:06:48 pm »

Inb4 “where did the WW meme come from” becomes a meme.

It has already been in the Cards Against Humanity deck for quite a while.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
+3

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2018, 04:12:24 pm »
+1

Is 1/3+1/3 equal to 2/3?

The suggested “similar questions” at the bottom are also a thing of beauty.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2018, 05:11:45 am »
+1

This is probably the most convincing joke explanation I've seen. It has citations to 8 different sources and all.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2018, 08:47:26 am »
+5

I find it interesting how there's a tendency to overstate the amount of time we wait.

For example, I was walking into work and was behind my co-worker by about 15-20 seconds. I could see him up ahead in the parking lot, but he quickly vanished from view. When I arrived at the elevator, the doors were already shutting, and he was whisked away to our office.

When I arrived, he told me that he was standing in the elevator lobby for what must've been 4 minutes before anyone realized nobody pressed the call button. I literally followed him into the building and was certainly not 4 minutes behind him. I don't think he was attempting to lie. I've seen this happen a lot, including in my own tellings. We'll say that something took a long time when it might have only been 30 seconds.

I think it's for dramatic flair. While 20 seconds is a long time to wait before replying to someone's question, it's more dramatic to say, "It took Bob 5 minutes to tell me my ass didn't look big in these pants." It's not as grandiose to say that I waited 20 seconds for a response. That doesn't sound long at all.
A man has no signature

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2018, 08:58:53 am »
+2

I find it interesting how there's a tendency to overstate the amount of time we wait.

For example, I was walking into work and was behind my co-worker by about 15-20 seconds. I could see him up ahead in the parking lot, but he quickly vanished from view. When I arrived at the elevator, the doors were already shutting, and he was whisked away to our office.

When I arrived, he told me that he was standing in the elevator lobby for what must've been 4 minutes before anyone realized nobody pressed the call button. I literally followed him into the building and was certainly not 4 minutes behind him. I don't think he was attempting to lie. I've seen this happen a lot, including in my own tellings. We'll say that something took a long time when it might have only been 30 seconds.

I think it's for dramatic flair. While 20 seconds is a long time to wait before replying to someone's question, it's more dramatic to say, "It took Bob 5 minutes to tell me my ass didn't look big in these pants." It's not as grandiose to say that I waited 20 seconds for a response. That doesn't sound long at all.

This is something I've thought about before too. My guess is that people slightly overstate lengths of time to make sure that their claimed length sounds impressive; but then people start to think of what is actually 20 seconds as being 25 seconds, so they then try to slightly overstate what they think of as 25 seconds (which is actually 20 seconds), so now 20 seconds gets labeled as 30 seconds; and this process iterates until today when people are now referring to seconds as minutes.

What's even more interesting to me is that I suspect there's an upper bound (e.g. I don't think we will ever reach a point where 20 seconds gets referred to as 4 hours); and also that it seems like we don't get this far off when measuring longer units of time. (People may refer to 30 seconds as 5 minutes, meaning they're off by a factor of 10; but I don't think anyone ever refers to 1 hour as 10 hours). Maybe this is because people are more likely to actually measure longer periods of time by looking at a clock?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2018, 09:42:32 am »
+3

I think people just dramatically underestimate how long 30 seconds actually is.

This is super prevalent in writing. Even high prestige books commit this fallacy fairly often. For example, in Harry Potter #5, there is a scene where a character looks at another for a full minute before (I think) starting to laugh. 10 seconds would be an appropriate amount of time that feels really socially strange and unnaturally long. 20 seconds would be seriously pushing it. 60 is nuts.

Well, and it seems to me that people just do the same thing, to a lesser degree, when they talk. They think 'long time' and then put out the 4 minute number. Well, it was a long time; 20 seconds, in this case, is long. It's just not 4 minutes.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:47 pm »
+2

I think the over-exaggerating phenomenon is actually due to social preference. Most people when telling a story or relating a bit of information are actually trying to convey and emotion to the other person, not facts. In Kuildeous's situation it happens because for realistic purposes Kuildeous does not care how long their co-worker waited for the elevator. That is literally a useless fact that has no relevance to Kuildeous's life. The only two reasons to relate that information to Kuildeous is to 1) make kuildeous laugh at the ridiculousness of a bunch of people waiting around and realizing they hadn't pushed the button, or 2) receive empathy from kuildeous for the time he had to wait for the elevator and to accomplish either of those goals it is helpful to exaggerate the time spent waiting. Compare this form of discussion (non factual but conveys an emotion) to strictly factual conversation (small talk) and people greatly prefer exaggerated conversation. Of course the goal would be to have a strictly factual conversation that also conveys an emotions but that is rare and usually requires the conversing parties to have a close relationship.  In the end I think this form of communication has become more prevalent in modern times (especially in america) because people feel the need to converse much more often. If the need arises to converse and one has an option of small talk or exaggerating a story to convey an emotion they will go with the exaggerated story every time.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2018, 05:39:26 pm »

I agree with silverspawn, people often are bad at estimating measurements.
For example, I recently ordered something 20 centimeters long, and it was less than half the size i had imagined.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:47 pm »
+1

Random body part estimates:

Your elbow to your fingertips is roughly 40cm
Hold out your arm to the side. The distance from fingertips to... somewhere around the opposite side of your neck is about 1 meter.
Hold out both arms to the side. The distance from fingertip to fingertip is roughly your height.
Stretch apart your thumb and little finger on one hand. That's about 15-20cm.

Rather ironic using body parts to estimate metric lengths, I know, but these come in handy sometimes. Of course, your kilometerage may vary depending on your height/lengths/body shape.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 06:55:29 pm »

My problem with estimating centimeters is that because I'm in the United States, the only time I use centimeters is in science, and in those cases the actual values they quantify don't really matter, and I end up thinking of centimeters as short inches.  However, I've noticed that in my mind I sometimes think of it being about 1.5 centimeters to an inch, not 2.5 centimeters to an inch...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2018, 03:43:13 pm »
+1

My problem with estimating centimeters is that because I'm in the United States, the only time I use centimeters is in science, and in those cases the actual values they quantify don't really matter, and I end up thinking of centimeters as short inches.  However, I've noticed that in my mind I sometimes think of it being about 1.5 centimeters to an inch, not 2.5 centimeters to an inch...

Wait... WAIT. I know the US uses a lot of Imperial units, but do you seriously like not even use cm and m on a daily basis? Like, do schoolkids not have standard 15cm/30cm rulers? Do people not know doorframes are about 2m high? Is it not common knowledge that 1 mile is 1 kilometer, 609 metres, 34 centimetres and 4 milimetres? Okay that last one is maybe not common here either but still, this blows my mind that you guys are using feet and inches for... most things?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »
+2

Wait... WAIT. I know the US uses a lot of Imperial units, but do you seriously like not even use cm and m on a daily basis? Like, do schoolkids not have standard 15cm/30cm rulers? Do people not know doorframes are about 2m high? Is it not common knowledge that 1 mile is 1 kilometer, 609 metres, 34 centimetres and 4 milimetres? Okay that last one is maybe not common here either but still, this blows my mind that you guys are using feet and inches for... most things?

Yep, its awful. Our rulers are 12 inches across the top and then it has 30cm flipped on the bottom. If you are a runner you are somewhat aware of distances because races are 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200 meter distances though it is assumed those last to are one and two miles.

But yes I measure my height as 6 feet 1 inch, 9 feet ceilings are a common measurement. Legal descriptions for properties are described in feet. Survey's of land use feet. It's really only the scientific fields that use metric units. It is an extremely depressing fact.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2018, 04:23:46 pm »
+1

And j is the easiest to type letter on our keyboards, and the tenth month is October.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2018, 04:28:50 pm »

Oh yeah, very little metric happens in America. There are some exceptions.

As stated, there are races that are measured in meters. You can buy a 2-liter bottle of soda, but don't expect anyone to figure out how much soda is in 300 milliliters.

Many wrenches are sold in two sets to account for cars (and whatever else) built with metric bolts.

I always hear of street drugs being sold in the realm of grams, but I don't have firsthand knowledge of that. But a lot of medicine lists ingredients in milligrams.

When people aren't up for running a marathon (26.2 miles, I believe), they may sign up to run a 5K or a 10K. 

Aside from the scientific community, everyday life in America is almost exclusively imperial measurements. Unless I'm washing down 500 mg of ibuprofen with a 2-liter Coke after running a 5K, Americans would just stare at me blankly if I try to use anything metric.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:29:58 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »
+1

If you really want to have some fun, go to any discussion group of the Pathfinder RPG (based on 3rd edition of Dungeons & Dragons) and suggest that the game should be published in metric. People will spiral into a frothing fit to tell you why metric is a bad idea in their RPG.

My favorite "argument" is that if the game changes so that each square is 2 meters instead of 5 feet (which the Star Wars RPG actually did do BTW), then the iconic "5-foot step" would have to be renamed to the "6.56-foot step" and that's too hard to memorize. Some people are so entrenched in imperial that they can't even fathom renaming it to a "2-meter step." Yes, 5 feet sounds like quite a large step; it's not a literal single step.

I'm pretty bad at metric, but I've had some practice with the Torg RPG in 1990. It used metric even when it was an American publisher. Now that it's owned by a German publisher, metric is even more natural.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »

I always hear of street drugs being sold in the realm of grams, but I don't have firsthand knowledge of that. But a lot of medicine lists ingredients in milligrams.

In all fairness, I don't have any idea how much is one milligram.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »

I remember those 15/30cm rulers having the other side be in 6/12 inches, and so 30cm is approximately a foot. That's like the main instance of me being able to understand imperial. After that you have one yard equal to three feet, and then the conversions stop being easy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2018, 03:10:39 am »

As far as I'm concerned, one yard = one meter and one foot = the distance that sound travels in 1 ms. They're both off like by 10% but that's close enough.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2018, 04:43:02 am »

If you really want to have some fun, go to any discussion group of the Pathfinder RPG (based on 3rd edition of Dungeons & Dragons) and suggest that the game should be published in metric. People will spiral into a frothing fit to tell you why metric is a bad idea in their RPG.

My favorite "argument" is that if the game changes so that each square is 2 meters instead of 5 feet (which the Star Wars RPG actually did do BTW), then the iconic "5-foot step" would have to be renamed to the "6.56-foot step" and that's too hard to memorize. Some people are so entrenched in imperial that they can't even fathom renaming it to a "2-meter step." Yes, 5 feet sounds like quite a large step; it's not a literal single step.

I'm pretty bad at metric, but I've had some practice with the Torg RPG in 1990. It used metric even when it was an American publisher. Now that it's owned by a German publisher, metric is even more natural.
Well RPGs are an area where I actually kind of get this, especially if the setting is medieval where you wouldn't have a standardized system in-world anyway and people would use their actual feet etc. to measure things.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.