Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part IV  (Read 138886 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2019, 05:19:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't have an real problems with it, but I hate to watch stuff sped up.

I sometimes slow stuff down a bit (we watched parts of Tatami Galaxy while eating.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2019, 06:48:55 pm »

I've been using VLC for years and have generally been very satisfied. The design is simplistic, it hides its advanced options well, it's straight-forward to install, and it usually works. The apparent fact that it's rather inefficient -- playing stuff faster and introducing big subtitle delays both seem to bring it to its limits -- doesn't matter very often. But, well, in this case it does.

The problem with VLC has never been its design or installation process. The problem is that it has limited customization options, worse quality (especially with subtitles and upscaled video), worse compatibility, as well as the fact that it's rather inefficient.

It's been a while since I last did this comparison, so for the sake of science, here goes. I'm using the most recent version of VLC and the K-Lite Codec Pack and the [Fancutfags] v2 release of Madoka, which is a good test subject because it uses pretty advanced mkv features that VLC has traditionally struggled to support, it uses ASS subtitles, it comes in two different resolutions so I can test both upscaling and regular playback, and I know exactly what it's supposed to look like given that I made it.

Upscaling 720p -> 1080p:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jwlwlp4uqcsznv7/mpc-hc%20quality%20test.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9r6dp5639ljz7al/vlc%20quality%20test.png
VLC is blurrier and displays the subtitles slightly incorrectly.

Playing 1080p:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mggy35z7m3fhr2g/mpc-hc%20quality%20test%202.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sj7dy0cv9wib83q/vlc%20quality%20test%202.png
The difference is smaller here, but it's still there. The subtitles are actually pretty good looking on VLC this time — as in, they're pretty much identical to how MPC/K-Lite displays them —  which is an improvement over past versions.

Furthermore, MPC-HC is able to perform the chapter jumps seamlessly, and VLC isn't (you get stuttering and it shows you a couple of frames you're not supposed to see) — although, it is noteworthy that VLC is able to perform them at all without causing the subtitles to go out of sync for the rest of the video file, which is an improvement over past versions.

So TL;DR VLC is slowly catching up to how good MPC-HC has been for at least 5 years already but it isn't there yet.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:37 am »

Of course, you can also just get an actual d100.

I'm generally not fond of the d100, but that's because I'm impatient. I'm happier with rolling two dice without waiting for dice to stop.

But I cannot argue its fairness. It is technically the simplest way to roll 1-100. It's just not my favorite.

Someone asked me if rolling d10000 would blow my theory out of the water. After evaluating the dice, it looks like it still works—provided the smallest die goes from 1 to 10 while the others go rom 0* to 9*. So you get 10k by adding 9000+900+90+10.

But I don't play any games that require a d10000. Not sure I'd want something with that degree of granularity, but I could be persuaded.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11:42 pm »

I'm generally not fond of the d100, but that's because I'm impatient. I'm happier with rolling two dice without waiting for dice to stop.

But I cannot argue its fairness. It is technically the simplest way to roll 1-100. It's just not my favorite.

Someone asked me if rolling d10000 would blow my theory out of the water. After evaluating the dice, it looks like it still works—provided the smallest die goes from 1 to 10 while the others go rom 0* to 9*. So you get 10k by adding 9000+900+90+10.

But I don't play any games that require a d10000. Not sure I'd want something with that degree of granularity, but I could be persuaded.

I've never heard of any game that requires a d10000, and I doubt I could be persuaded that that degree of granularity could be good.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:57 am »
+1

I've never heard of any game that requires a d10000, and I doubt I could be persuaded that that degree of granularity could be good.

May I introduce you to the world's greatest RPG, FATAL?

I don't remember the details, but I know during setup you are instructed to roll a d1,000,000 among other things.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »

I doubt you could persuade anyone that FATAL is good.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:22 am »

If you recall my quote:
Not sure I'd want something with that degree of granularity

Nobody wants FATAL. I don't care how many zeroes they put after the d.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2019, 06:20:49 pm »

My VLC player tends to have some trouble increasing the playback speed. Does someone know a player that can play videos at double speed without lagging?

That super depends on your specs, the videos that you're trying to play at double speed, and your codec settings, but in general, VLC is not a very good player for a multitude of reasons and you should be using either MPC-HC (which is easiest to get running by installing a codec pack such as the K-Lite Codec Pack) or mpv depending on your operating system.

I did this, and this player does indeed play at double speed without lagging.

... however, it now has a moderately annoying audio bug where it makes little cracking sounds once every two seconds or so, which doesn't happen when I use VLC.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2019, 05:24:06 pm »
+1

This is perhaps one of the strangest and most petty attempts at humble bragging about a false achievement that I've ever seen. Every post TC makes sounds more and more desperate to convince people it's true and that it's a big deal.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:44 pm »

I'm not sure the link goes where you intended it to. Who or what is TC?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2019, 02:03:56 am »

That's going to the correct thread. I don't know who the TC was, he's a user I've not seen before.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #361 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:14 am »

That's going to the correct thread. I don't know who the TC was, he's a user I've not seen before.

Is TC a synonym for OP?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:35 am »

Just played my first pen and paper, Numenera. I understood it tries to make minmaxing less of a point than others and puts the focus on narration and exploration, which I felt was neat. Apparently you could use a d100 for certain things, but it didn't really come up.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2019, 08:26:51 am »

Is TC a synonym for OP?

Maybe Topic Creator?
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2019, 04:53:28 pm »

Yeah, TC is an acronym for topic creator.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2019, 01:08:07 am »

Is it normal to be so hot and sweaty after exercising that when I go outside to cool off I am literally steaming?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2019, 06:07:14 am »
+1

Is it normal to be so hot and sweaty after exercising that when I go outside to cool off I am literally steaming?

Depends on the temperature, but probably yes in the winter.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:50 am »
+1

It threw me off when I saw someone talking about a biannual review of a process that's been in place for only a year, and then I realized that she probably means a review twice a year.

And that's why the word is dead now. Same with bimonthly.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 04, 2019, 03:50:05 pm »

We were waving our arms out the window of a fast-moving passenger train, acting in an irresponsible fashion until the engineer whose back had been turned and who we thought would find us highly amusing quickly swiveled his head around, and his face which was a paper-white mask of evil sang us this song.
A man has no signature

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2019, 01:31:56 am »

We were waving our arms out the window of a fast-moving passenger train, acting in an irresponsible fashion until the engineer whose back had been turned and who we thought would find us highly amusing quickly swiveled his head around, and his face which was a paper-white mask of evil sang us this song.

Deep cuts from old TMBG! I approve.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2019, 06:42:11 am »
+3

This is funny ("This is what happened to McDonalds when I didn't have a McDonalds this week:")

Caricature of how you can lie with graphs

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:27 pm »

This is funny ("This is what happened to McDonalds when I didn't have a McDonalds this week:")

Caricature of how you can lie with graphs

I don't get it? The numbers only work if the exact same number of people other than you had McDonalds each week.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2019, 03:22:25 pm »

eh, details

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »

Okay, I'm stumped on this riddle. Considering that I'm having a hard time finding it on Google, I question how viable it is. It's not a popular one obviously. It may have originated in England, judging from the use of "dice" as singular, but it might not exclusively be an English thing. Any ideas? It sounds vaguely board-game-y.

I am a king but I do not move one space.
Roll the a dice and I start a fast race.
Begin my reign, I make bucks.
My land is not free, it is my crux.

I almost want to say Monopoly, though that game does not have kings. Perhaps it is used figuratively. But everything else could apply to it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:26:50 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2019, 12:21:24 pm »
+1

Okay, I'm stumped on this riddle. Considering that I'm having a hard time finding it on Google, I question how viable it is. It's not a popular one obviously. It may have originated in England, judging from the use of "dice" as singular, but it might not exclusively be an English thing. Any ideas? It sounds vaguely board-game-y.

I am a king but I do not move one space.
Roll the dice and I start a fast race.
Begin my reign, I make bucks.
My land is not free, it is my crux.

I almost want to say Monopoly, though that game does not have kings. Perhaps it is used figuratively. But everything else could apply to it.

What makes you think "dice" is being used as singular?

It sounds like it could be King of Tokyo, but not obviously so.

I am a king but I do not move one space. Obviously mostly meaning "not chess", but each player is a monster that is attempting to be the "King".

Roll the dice and I start a fast race. Start every tun by rolling the dice. You are racing to get to 20 points.

Begin my reign, I make bucks. When you enter Tokyo (begin your reign), you get a bonus point.

My land is not free, it is my crux. Being in Tokyo has a harsh penalty of being unable to heal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:32:07 pm by GendoIkari »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.