Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charm + Inn  (Read 1756 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Charm + Inn
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:13:34 pm »

I buy an Inn with Charm in play for the on-buy effect.

In my head, step 1 is to resolve Charm's on-buy effect. Say I select Witch.
Do I then resolve Witch's on gain (e.g., going to discard) or Inn's? (going to discard + shuffle in cards). Can I shuffle in Witch?

To make this an actually relevant case we can say that Witch is embargoed so I have a real reason to not just buy Witch and gain Inn.

Also, I don't own cards on ShuffleIT but I believe no matter the order of buy/gain ShIT won't let me shuffle in the Witch, which would probably be a bug.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Charm + Inn
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:31:31 pm »
+2

First, you'd have to make sure that when you played Charm that you chose to get the on-buy effect rather than the +$2 +Buy.

You buy the Inn. At this stage, you haven't gained the Inn, so its bottom-line effect doesn't trigger, but Charm's on-buy does.

You gain the Witch. It goes to your discard.

You finally gain the Inn you bought. It goes to your discard and its on-gain triggers, so you can shuffle in both the Witch and the Inn.

If you did it the other way around (buy the Witch, gain the Inn), then you'd only be able to shuffle the Inn into your deck, since you hadn't gained the Witch yet.

If the online game doesn't let you do that, then that sounds like a bug.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:33:03 pm by ConMan »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »

First, you'd have to make sure that when you played Charm that you chose to get the on-buy effect rather than the +$2 +Buy.

You buy the Inn. At this stage, you haven't gained the Inn, so its bottom-line effect doesn't trigger, but Charm's on-buy does.

You finally gain the Inn you bought. It goes to your discard and its on-gain triggers, so you can shuffle in both the Witch and the Inn.

If you did it the other way around (buy the Witch, gain the Inn), then you'd only be able to shuffle the Inn into your deck, since you hadn't gained the Witch yet.

In the second scenario, what is dictating that the Witch gain happens after the Inn gain? Is it always reverse order of when remaining events were triggered?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:59:43 pm »
+1

In the official FAQ "The card gained from Charm is gained before gaining the card you bought, which may matter when cards do things when gained."

I know this isn't a thorough explanation of the why of the timing, but I'm not sure I'm up to typing my understanding of the reason at the moment.

ShuffleIT does this correctly btw, you can gain the Witch and shuffle it in if you choose Inn as your buy.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
+2

This thread sounds like it should be about a brand of toilet paper.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:49:04 pm »
+2

In the second scenario, what is dictating that the Witch gain happens after the Inn gain? Is it always reverse order of when remaining events were triggered?

Charm activates on buy, which is before you gain the card.  Charm makes you gain the Inn, then you go back to finishing the buy and you gain the Witch.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:44:59 pm »

Charm activates on buy, which is before you gain the card.  Charm makes you gain the Inn, then you go back to finishing the buy and you gain the Witch.

Yes, this is how it works for all cards with a when-buy ability that gains you a card. First you gain that card, then you gain the card you actually bought. The list is: Charm, Embargo, Farmland, Haggler, Hoard, Masterpiece, Messenger, Noble Brigand, Port, Stonemason, Swamp Hag, Talisman
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.