Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dutch second edition Dominion is in stores.  (Read 3590 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
Dutch second edition Dominion is in stores.
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:26:54 pm »
+1

Didn't see second edition intrigue yet.
They mistranslated Bandit to make you trash ALL revealed non-Copper treasures.

Translation error streak for 999 games: 5 releases, 9 cards in current streak.

No response from 999 games yet.

Coincidentally, every card that currently has a translation error has been buffed by it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:11:49 pm by greybirdofprey »

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch second edition Dominion is in stores.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:21:31 pm »

I believe I've seen a Second Edition Intrigue, recognisable because it said "Expansion" on the box. This one: https://www.999games.nl/dominion-intrige-kaartspel.html. Bol.com doesn't have it though, so not sure how available it is.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:23:37 pm »

Oh, just checked the image on that link I send. You can see a game being set up... With Secret Chamber in the Kingdom. Great work 999games, great work.

I think it's just an old photo though.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:25:41 pm »

Oh, just checked the image on that link I send. You can see a game being set up... With Secret Chamber in the Kingdom. Great work 999games, great work.

I think it's just an old photo though.

Yeah, I saw it on 999games.nl too, but I didn't find it in my store, and when I asked they said they didn't have it yet. Also, I just noticed the site says "niet op voorraad" for Intrigue, while second edition base is.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:44:37 am »

I just double-checked all cards and Bureaucrat, Moneylender, Mine and Throne Room all have translation errors too.
They seem to have copy-pasted the first edition translations onto the second edition cards so the translation error for Bureaucrat is still here and Moneylender, Mine and Throne Room are all still mandatory (no 'you may'-clause).

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:50:36 am »
+1

I just received a response from 999 games.
They are planning to re-print cards with errata in spring, and they offered to send me the Dutch Dismantle for my  troubles.

They may not be the best at translating but I do like their customer service.

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:00:46 pm »

did they do that thing again where they put the cards in the exact same order as the english version, so there's no logical alphabetical order and it's terrible to find where the card is you're looking for?

That alone is enough for me to never buy the dutch version.
(+ it's probably more realistic i play with someone who doesn't understand dutch then with someone who doesn't understand enough english)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 12:20:03 pm »

did they do that thing again where they put the cards in the exact same order as the english version, so there's no logical alphabetical order and it's terrible to find where the card is you're looking for?

That alone is enough for me to never buy the dutch version.
(+ it's probably more realistic i play with someone who doesn't understand dutch then with someone who doesn't understand enough english)

Yeah, they did that too. I think Seaside is the only one where they actually sorted it properly. Although I use my own storage solution instead of 11 boxes, but before my storage solution it wasn't much of a problem for me because I know every translation by head ('oude bekende'. *shudders*).

I mostly go with Dutch because it's a lot cheaper for me and I can claim them as my Christmas package.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 05:16:24 am »

Really? Awesome! I'll check local board game stores ASAP. :)

Good timing too, since my enthusiasm for Dominion has recently been rekindled.

Yeah, they did that too. I think Seaside is the only one where they actually sorted it properly. Although I use my own storage solution instead of 11 boxes, but before my storage solution it wasn't much of a problem for me because I know every translation by head ('oude bekende'. *shudders*).

'Oude bekende' for 'Familiar' is a pretty bad translation, yes. Although to be fair, how would you translate 'Familiar' in Dutch? I don't think our local folklore has a word for familiar spirits... Maybe something like 'Totemdier' (totem animal) would be closest.

The worst translation in my opinion is still 'Vervalsen' for 'Forge'. That's just sheer laziness, they clearly didn't bother to look at the artwork OR the card's effect, and just picked the first word under the dictionary entry for 'Forge'. I would have liked something like 'Omsmelten', I think.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:17:56 am by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:27 am »

Talking about awful translations, I really dislike 'Nieuwe Versie' for Remake. Like, come on. 'Vernieuwen' would be way better. I think they should've seen the trend of verbs being used for tfb, instead of it being a weird noun. I feel like it shouldn't be thát hard to translate a game like Dominion? But somehow they screw up a lot. Like, how did they not read a list of improvements for the second edition, so as to not make the mistake with Moneylender, Throne Room etc. By the way, didn't they accidentally print Moneylender correctly the first time?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 05:36:19 am »

Talking about awful translations, I really dislike 'Nieuwe Versie' for Remake. Like, come on. 'Vernieuwen' would be way better. I think they should've seen the trend of verbs being used for tfb, instead of it being a weird noun. I feel like it shouldn't be thát hard to translate a game like Dominion? But somehow they screw up a lot. Like, how did they not read a list of improvements for the second edition, so as to not make the mistake with Moneylender, Throne Room etc. By the way, didn't they accidentally print Moneylender correctly the first time?

Did they screw up Moneylender and Throne Room again? Yikes. Not as bad as the Bandit mistake though.

I seriously regret not just buying the English version of Dominion years ago. Mixing languages just looks weird, I used to own the English version of Adventures but if only half of your cards are English it's actually even worse, so I sold it again.

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:25 am »

I seriously regret not just buying the English version of Dominion years ago. Mixing languages just looks weird, I used to own the English version of Adventures but if only half of your cards are English it's actually even worse, so I sold it again.

I don't have that experience, it looks weird but that's really the only thing. If i mix my english cards with the dutch cards of my friends, some people say "Hey, half of these cards are in english, why is that", and then we have to give a short explanation, but that's that. I really don't mind. Maybe i even like the weirdness.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 07:27:35 am »

'Oude bekende' for 'Familiar' is a pretty bad translation, yes. Although to be fair, how would you translate 'Familiar' in Dutch? I don't think our local folklore has a word for familiar spirits... Maybe something like 'Totemdier' (totem animal) would be closest.

Come to think of it, familiar spirits are also in the Bible. The King James Version of the Bible has 15 references to familiar spirits. The Dutch Statenvertaling of the Bible often (but not always) translates it with 'waarzeggende geest' (literally: 'fortune telling spirit'). Still a somewhat awkward translation.

Perhaps the best translation is given by http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/vertaal/EN/NL/familiar - 'Huisgeest' (house spirit).

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:33 am »

Did they screw up Moneylender and Throne Room again? Yikes. Not as bad as the Bandit mistake though.

I have only English versions but I'm currently searching for Cornucopia/Guilds, Hinterlands or Dark Ages and I have no luck at all.... I really can't find them anywhere in Eindhoven or Tilburg. (Which is where I usually look)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 08:08:55 am »

Come to think of it, familiar spirits are also in the Bible. The King James Version of the Bible has 15 references to familiar spirits. The Dutch Statenvertaling of the Bible often (but not always) translates it with 'waarzeggende geest' (literally: 'fortune telling spirit'). Still a somewhat awkward translation.

Perhaps the best translation is given by http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/vertaal/EN/NL/familiar - 'Huisgeest' (house spirit).

I like it.

Also, I have no problem with oddly ordered cards, even before I got my own storage solution.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:34 pm »

I don't have that experience, it looks weird but that's really the only thing. If i mix my english cards with the dutch cards of my friends, some people say "Hey, half of these cards are in english, why is that", and then we have to give a short explanation, but that's that. I really don't mind. Maybe i even like the weirdness.
If you ever ended up mixing Dutch and English base cards, you could get some interesting interactions with things that care about a card's name!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 03:07:15 am »

I have Base and Intrigue in russian, all others up to Guilds in English and Guilds in... french. Tell me about confusing :D
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 05:27:52 am »

If you ever ended up mixing Dutch and English base cards, you could get some interesting interactions with things that care about a card's name!

Are there two different cards which have the same name in two different language?
Like Magpie being "Cardname" in German, and Cultist being "Cardname" in Finnish.

What do the rules say about mixing languages? Nothing, as far as I know.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 07:08:34 am »

Are there two different cards which have the same name in two different language?
Like Magpie being "Cardname" in German, and Cultist being "Cardname" in Finnish.

If there's ever a name issue - which I think has already happened in fact, that in some language two cards got the same name - go by the English names, those ones determine what names match.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 05:29:12 pm »
+2

Not a perfect match, but Adventurer is Esploratore in Italian, and Explorer is Avventuriero.
I also know that in Spanish Dominion, Explorer is Exploradora while Scout is Explorador.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 09:17:50 pm »
+1

Hah. And that means Dora the Explorer is "Dora la Exploradora" in Spanish. (-8
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.