Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying a new Monitor  (Read 1767 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Buying a new Monitor
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:11:36 am »

I find that there are too many times where I have to minimize a window to then look at something in another window, only to memorize that before returning to the first window, so I concluded that I ought to have more screen available to put stuff on. My first idea was a second monitor, but that doesn't seem to be possible with my current setup.

So then the alternative was to just buy one really big one.

My current screen size is around 14,8*12 inches. Stuff I see on Amazon hovers around 27*15 which would already be over twice as much space. I almost just put a bunch of filters on the search results in amazon and bought the first one that seemed reasonable, but then I thought it might be smarter to ask around first.

Is there anything I should pay attention to? Considering this or this right now just based on size, cost, and review average. Note that I don't want it to look super amazing, I primarily want to have a bigger virtual desk. But I also would like it to actually work. Do I have to worry about my graphics card not being able to hande it, or anything like that?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new Monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:29:58 am »
+2

I'm used to measuring monitors by the screen diagonal. It looks like you have a 19" monitor currently. Any upgrade to a 24" monitor or bigger is going to make you very happy in terms of screen real estate.

The larger of the two monitors you've picked out there is a LOT of size for the money. You should be aware that it's just 1920x1080 resolution ("1080p"), which you can actually get on a phone, so this is not going to deliver crispness at that size if you sit close. That's going to be a physically huge monitor; I might not pick that one unless you typically sit a distance away from your monitor. At home I have a 27" at 2560x1440 ("1440p"). It feels overwhelmingly large at times--I can't look at the whole screen at once unless I sit back.

As for whether it will work with your video card--the answer is almost certainly yes, but depending on the model you might need a new cable or possibly an adapter. Check what outputs are available on your video card (VGA, DVI, DisplayPort are probably the most common) against the inputs available on those monitors.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:22:20 am »

What you need isn't necessarily a screen that's physically larger; you need a higher resolution. If your current screen already has 1080p resolution and you're not satisfied with it, I don't think you're going to be satisfied with a bigger 1080p screen because more stuff won't fit on it, it's just upscaled. With a 1440p monitor, you should see a significant improvement even if it's the same size or just a little larger than your current monitor.

If you work on images or videos or basically anything visual, there's also the issue with different monitors reproducing colors differently, and I don't really know very much about that but apparently it's a thing that pros take into account.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:50:34 pm »

I don't think you're going to be satisfied with a bigger 1080p screen because more stuff won't fit on it, it's just upscaled.

I don't think that makes sense, but we'll see. I bought the smaller of the two (which is still twice as large as the on I have right now).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »

I don't think you're going to be satisfied with a bigger 1080p screen because more stuff won't fit on it, it's just upscaled.

I don't think that makes sense, but we'll see. I bought the smaller of the two (which is still twice as large as the on I have right now).

Why wouldn't it make sense? You can only fit one 1920*1080 picture on both monitors.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:57 pm »
+1

because pixels is not the bottleneck factor. If my screen had a trillion times as many pixels as it does right now, I still couldn't comfortably put a trillion times as much stuff on there and be able to read it, because my vision doesn't have a zoom function.

On the other hand, if there was twice as much space but with the same number of pixels, that should solve the problem. I can then put a list or something that I need in one half, and the thing I'm working on in the other half, and even if the resolution is a bit worse, I'll be able to read it. I can't do that right now.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »
+4

Go with a Komodo Monitor.  Those things are awesome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:37:22 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure you need special permits for monitors that large.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.