Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Ice Age  (Read 6440 times)

Gazbag

• Explorer
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Ice Age
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:44 pm »
+1

Every Champion game has Champion nonsense. It's called Warrior. Every Champion game is also broken and luck-driven, and I feel not the slightest remorse for Champion games with Road being broken and luck-driven. I guess it should be fixed, but well, so should Warrior. That card is easily second in my worst list. And in the end of the day, hey, if you have Road and Champion, just draw your deck, and then if you have discard for benefit, calculate the max you get, win the game. People usually don't starve revealing Moat for eternity, either.

Yeah Champ is pretty dumb, I don't play with it anymore irl. I actually like the idea behind Road, although I have a few balance issues with it as we all know. I mentioned Road here simply because I wouldn't have come up with Wanderer without thinking so much about Road following that heated debate. Perhaps putting in that Champion comment made it seem like I was taking a dig at Road, that wasn't my intent! I know how easy it is to get defensive about these things, like with the Glacier thing.

Anyway, I understand that I brought up Road here, but I'd appreciate it if you could at least give some insight on my cards as well. This topic is supposed to be about my Ice Age cards, not the Page line or Road.

As to not be a hypocrite, Wanderer needs clearer wording Commodore Chuckles is right that just saying you can play it is confusing and isn't clear enough. The question is whether calling for -action or just playing it from the Tavern is best. I like playing from the Tavern myself, it doesn't really create any new rules stuff in the way that calling for -1 Action would, you don't have to specify when it can be called so there's words saved and it's friendlier with Adventures tokens and whatnot.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +4719
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:27 am »

Hum, I don't think I can say anything negative about Wanderer. It DOES avoid the endless turn issue Road can have, and if seen on it's own, it's a decent, not overly-complex card. The one thing I prefer with Road is that it has a straightforward wording that leaves no questions open. Maybe you could have this be the best of both worlds? Just a Reserve that allows you to put it into your hand? That way you can play it once every turn if you have the spare Action, but considering decks that draw themselves it doesn't seem outlandish. Theoretically it could do the same as a Duration, which would mean the chain breaks once you fail to play it but also saves a dividing line.

Commodore Chuckles

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +496
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2018, 08:35:42 pm »

It's definitely a neat idea, but it's hard to think of wording that's unambiguous while also not bogging down the concept's elegance. The big problem is keeping track of whether it's already been on your Mat. Maybe when you return it to your hand you turn it upside down? Pretty screwy idea, but I can't think of anything else that's not horrifically convoluted.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +4719
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »

It's definitely a neat idea, but it's hard to think of wording that's unambiguous while also not bogging down the concept's elegance. The big problem is keeping track of whether it's already been on your Mat. Maybe when you return it to your hand you turn it upside down? Pretty screwy idea, but I can't think of anything else that's not horrifically convoluted.

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough, but my suggestion would not differentiate at all (so it differs from Gazbag's original). It would just return itself to your hand, you play it, it goes on the mat, you return it, and so on. Probably that concept works better as a Duration though, as now the chain can break:

Wanderer, Action - Duration, 5$
+2 Cards
At the start of your next turn, put this into your hand.

Edit: I have no idea what this should cost. If you only have one of them, it's like starting every turn with a Smithy in hand. Big Money paradise. So maybe this suggestion is actually awful? No clue.

Holunder9

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2018, 02:54:44 am »

Just a random freezing attack idea I had for a Duration card:

While this is in play, when another player gains a non-Victory card, they freeze it 3 times.

Probably not that strong so it might also be OK to you use 4 or 5.

Gazbag

• Explorer
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »

Just a random freezing attack idea I had for a Duration card:

While this is in play, when another player gains a non-Victory card, they freeze it 3 times.

Probably not that strong so it might also be OK to you use 4 or 5.

Yeah this is a nice idea, it's basically what the next version of Tundra is like at the moment, but it's limited to the first card gained just so it doesn't have the potential to be too miserable. I haven't tested it much though and Yeti is pretty nice as a freezing attack so it could be a little redundant.

I had chance to do a nice bit of playtesting this weekend, although I forgot to record any exact kingdoms. One game had Wanderer and Spelunkers, which I discovered have quite nice synergy with each other as having some Wanderers in reserve means you can discard down to 2 villages with Spelunkers and still kick off your engine. I remember this game had Forager, Blessed Village, Shanty Town and Wine Merchant too. Wanderer seemed much more viable as draw than Oracle, but I'm happy with it costing $3, it's still no Gear I'm pretty sure! Spelunkers was a nice way to add money to the deck, I liked how it played.

There was another game with Cabin and Frost Spirit, Frost Spirit was strong yet again, but I think it's pretty fun and interesting so I like it. Still have to decide whether to introduce measures to stop you setting aside Provinces though... Cabin was basically garbage though, like, the effect you get is strong for the price compared to cards that do similar things, but getting money, Silver gaining and Chancelloring aren't really necessary things for most decks so it seemed like you were better off just using treasures and reaping the benefits from opponent's Cabins than actually using Cabin. I still like the basic concept of the card, so here's a buffed version (with bonus coffers update!):

So now it gives you a buy too and it gains gold instead of Silver. +1 buy is nice, because the set really needs more +buy and it means you're getting something useful that you need to actually buy a Cabin to have access to. Buffing the Silver gain also buffs the drawback because it's better for you're opponent too, but if you bought a Cabin you should have a good plan for the Gold and maybe your opponent doesn't. I guess it's kind of similar to Sacred Grove now, but I think it's different enough.

Rediscover was still completely broken, so it'll need another big overhaul. I would like a Remodel type thing in the set though so I'll have to work on it some more. To be honest just making it not a cantrip would probably make it reasonable.

Outcast has been sitting there being kind of fine, but off theme and a little boring and similar to Sleigh. So I'm going to try this new thing as a replacement. Draw-to-X is a fun thing that people always seem to enjoy and Diplomat and Leprechaun are two of the most fun cards from recent sets so it kind of tries to do a similar thing to them.

So if you have exactly 3 cards in hand (after playing it), it's Baker for $2 woah! And if you have fewer cards then it becomes Lab or better, but you'll need to find a way to reduce your handisze first, playing one from a 5 card hand does nothing, but does set up your next Outcasts. I could see this at $3, but spamming too many could certainly backfire so it's $2 for now.

Oh here's better worded things:

ClouduHieh

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2018, 02:19:55 am »

Great minds think alike Iím also creating my own expansion. A relative will be taking care of how all the info and pictures get on the card. But all the information is my ideas. Itís called the
Snow line expansion. A snow line is an area where the snow stays all year round. A few of the cards that you have in your ice age expansion do completely different things from the ones I have. And itís just a few. Like yeti and cold storage. And I have firn village and frigid village. But I donít have mountain village. Frigid village is duration card similar to fishing village from seaside. And firn village is basically a village with minus victory points, that an attack called avalanche gives out. And then it also then gives out curses when you run out of firn villages. And firn village is purple too. My expansion has about 7 cards that work with the journey token. Duration cards. Reserve cards. And 2 new blue reaction cards. And one reserve that works like a reaction. But I really do love your cards too. They look so much like the real cards. Iím sure mine wonít look as legit. But thatís okay as long as friends and I enjoy playing it. It doesnít have to be as awesome as yours look.

ClouduHieh

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2018, 02:35:15 am »

Oh and it also has 2 new travelers cards. Churl and vandal. Vandal-outlaw-sell sword-hedge knight- and warden. Churl-drifter-mountaineer-hunter- and fur trader. And since firn village is given out by avalanche. Itís not in the supply. So Iíve made 1 other card that also may give out a card that isnít in the supply. Just like urchin and hermit. Except you get to keep your cards. Except for avalanche maybe. You can use it to attack to give out as many firn villages as you can. However a benefit is if you trash you gain a card that is not in the supply and a gold too. And the card you gain is called snow shoes. So,thatís about 25 different cards that will be in the supply and 11 that arenít in the supply.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.