Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fun with Setup  (Read 6095 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Fun with Setup
« on: December 02, 2017, 02:08:44 am »
+2

The setup mechanic is a fun way to craft outlandish ideas onto cards. From Young Witch to the variety of Landmarks, it attacks Dominion design in bigger, bolder ways than your standard Village variant.

So, show me some fun designs utilizing a setup mechanic.

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
You may buy cards from the trash this turn.
-----
Setup: Put one of each Victory card in the trash.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:53:46 am »

I like that card a lot.  You do mean "Setup: Move one copy of each Victory card from the Supply to the trash" right?

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:37 pm »
+2

I like that card a lot.  You do mean "Setup: Move one copy of each Victory card from the Supply to the trash" right?

Sure. I design way more Magic cards than Dominion cards, so I'm more than capable of messing up specific wordings. "From the supply" does make it nice and clear that you don't have to go out and buy Alchemy just to get Vineyards to make this work.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:27:26 pm by Rush_Clasic »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:33 pm »

One of my favorite fan cards with a setup:

Taskmaster
Cost $5 - Action
Choose and turn sideways one unturned card on the Taskmaster mat. This is that card until it leaves play. Whenever there are 4 or more sideways cards on the mat, return them all to normal position.
-
Setup: Put the randomizers for 5 cards each costing $3 or $4 on the Taskmaster mat face-up.
Kindof a Band of Misfits for 5 cards which aren't in the kingdom. (This isn't my card, but I don't know whose it is because it's from the old Guilds fan-card contest which was aborted in the middle and the card designers for each card were never revealed.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:53:37 pm »

Sure. I design way more Magic cards than Dominion cards, so I'm more than capable of messing up specific wordings. "From the supply" does make it nice and clear that you don't have to go out and buy Alchemy just to get Vineyards to make this work.

For the record, the way Dominion protocol works, you would use however many victory cards you owned, but not be obligated or be using the card wrongly if you didn't own Vineyards.  The only official card we've ever had where this has mattered is Black Market, where the descriptions about the promo indicate to use whatever collection you have to build the Black Market deck.  Although Young Witch might be kind of like that too.

The limited demand on ownership works a bit like one of my favorite Magic cards, Spawnsire of Ulamog: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193535.

Here's my setup card.
Leeches
3P$ - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.  If you do, trash Leeches.  If it was a potion, +3 VP

It's expected to be the most interesting when it's the only trasher on the board.  I made it a potion card to make the Setup event more now-or-never, if it's a Bridge game or a Goons game maybe you really need to smack yourself with this thing.
The rider is a halfhearted attempt to make it relevant in some games with better trashers, you can try a golden deckish thing if your opponent greened too early, but 3 VP per potion seems like a shy costing point.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:09:17 pm by popsofctown »

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »

This is a really neat mechanic when coupled with some way to put things in the trash.  As mentioned in Dark Ages discussions, straight gaining from the trash has problems, so this is a good way to balance good and bad cards in the trash, and not have a ridiculously overpowered or underpowered card.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:49 pm »

For the record, the way Dominion protocol works, you would use however many victory cards you owned, but not be obligated or be using the card wrongly if you didn't own Vineyards.  The only official we've ever had where this has mattered is Black Market, where the descriptions about the promo indicate to use whatever collection you have to build the Black Market deck.  Although Young Witch might be kind of like that too.

The limited demand on ownership works a bit like one of my favorite Magic cards, Spawnsire of Ulamog: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193535

I was just joking. The card was always intended to only work on cards in the current supply.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 11:10:06 pm »

I had to pretend you weren't joking to come up with an excuse to reference Spawnsire of Ulamog.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:28:18 am »

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
This can make infinite turns. Just because you can endlessly buy on-gain effects when going from the trash, you can get Villas endlessly. You'll probably need Mandarin-Capital too (and a way to draw that Mandarin so maybe Rats are involved, and Royal Seal with a drawing card, anyhow it's possible).
One card from the trash for each time you play a compass, maybe.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:24:45 am »

I had to pretend you weren't joking to come up with an excuse to reference Spawnsire of Ulamog.
Completely acceptable. I was collecting foils of him for a while just because I liked seeing 20 in a cost.

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
This can make infinite turns. Just because you can endlessly buy on-gain effects when going from the trash, you can get Villas endlessly. You'll probably need Mandarin-Capital too (and a way to draw that Mandarin so maybe Rats are involved, and Royal Seal with a drawing card, anyhow it's possible).
Mind elaborating on this? Where is the infinite $/buys/turns coming from?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:27:29 am by Rush_Clasic »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:40 am »

Completely acceptable. I was collecting foils of him for a while just because I liked seeing 20 in a cost.

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
Mind elaborating on this? Where is the infinite $ coming from?

Infinite $ from cost reduction I assume, you can do infinite loops with official cards and this needs enough different pieces that I don't think it's a problem.

The only problem I have with this is that ts has the strictly better than Silver for $4 problem. But it probably wouldn't be terrible at $5, or you can slap a +1 buy on it or something if you think it's weak for $5.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:36:45 am by Gazbag »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »

Infinite $ from cost reduction I assume, you can do infinite loops with official cards and this needs enough different pieces that I don't think it's a problem.
So, 5 Highways + my card, buy Forum, reveal Watchtower from your hand, trash Forum, buy it from the trash, trash it, repeat. Ya, I'm not worried about that. If anything, just do what other games do: add an infinite loop rule. "When a player demonstrates that an infinite loop is possible, rather than repeat the loop, that player chooses a number of times for that loop to occur and calculates the results."

The only problem I have with this is that ts has the strictly better than Silver for $4 problem. But it probably wouldn't be terrible at $5, or you can slap a +1 buy on it or something if you think it's weak for $5.
I'd probably slap the +1 buy at that point.

Anyway, more setup cards, please.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 12:24:23 pm »

Contractor - $4
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
Each other player draws 2 cards, then discards 2 cards. If this causes one of those players to shuffle his or her deck, that player discards down to 3 cards.
-----
Setup: After drawing your starting hand, you may put your deck into your discard pile. If you don't, discard your hand and draw 5 cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 07:12:43 pm »

Oh, I misread it as being a terminal silver, for some reason.

It should be a terminal silver for 3 or 4$

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »
+1

The setup mechanic is a fun way to craft outlandish ideas onto cards. From Young Witch to the variety of Landmarks, it attacks Dominion design in bigger, bolder ways than your standard Village variant.

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
Dame Joseph., Castles, what will happen?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »

I feel like the intent is to put one of each: Estate, Duchy, Province, (Colony) in the trash. That's how I would have thought of the design, anyway.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 08:00:39 pm »

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
I think only the top card would move, if it is victory, with my new wording.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 08:02:27 pm »
+1

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
If you make it "Move the top card of every Victory supply pile to the trash" then Dame Josephine won't get moved, but a Small Castle will.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 09:36:58 pm »
+1

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
If you make it "Move the top card of every Victory supply pile to the trash" then Dame Josephine won't get moved, but a Small Castle will.
My wording does though.
What is it that you have against Dame Josephine, that you don't want her to travel the world?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 01:51:59 am »

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
My wording does though.
What is it that you have against Dame Josephine, that you don't want her to travel the world?
Given that Compass gives you a way of getting to the stuff in the trash, perhaps the more important question is how come it points at her? Is her armor magnetic?

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:07:45 am »

Forgot about piles with differently named cards. Go go more inclusive wording!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 05:56:31 am »

Compass - $4
Treasure
+$2
-----
My wording does though.
Given that Compass gives you a way of getting to the stuff in the trash, perhaps the more important question is how come it points at her? Is her armor magnetic?
Her armor is most definitely magnetic.  The other knights use armor from nonmagnetic alloys.  That's why it's not worth any VP for you to have them.  So much more pedestrian.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »
+1

How about just this setup thing:

When you finish resolving an action card that you have only played once this turn, you may spend an action to play that card again.

Maybe tacked on to a village to make it possible to be useful?

EDIT: Fixed so that it can't give you infinite actions
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:05:07 pm by sudgy »
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:27 pm »

How about just this setup thing:

When you finish resolving an action card that you have only played once this turn, you may spend an action to play that card again.

Maybe tacked on to a village to make it possible to be useful?

EDIT: Fixed so that it can't give you infinite actions
That's not a setup ability; it has nothing to do with preparing the game.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:07 pm »
+1

Peak
Landmark
When scoring, +1 VP per card you have from the chosen piles.
During your buy phase, you may spend $2 to look at a face-down randomizer card.
Setup: Shuffle the randomizer cards for the current Kingdom, then choose one per player and set those cards aside face-down.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.