Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Idol Count during Resolution  (Read 3293 times)

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Idol Count during Resolution
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »
+6

If the count of Idols in play changes due to the Boon, can it then pass out a Curse?

I assume the answer is no, the count has already been determined ("if you then have" seems to point to the count being determined as soon as the Idol is played), but I've been wrong before.

The only example I can think of to make this happen:

Play Bridge
Play Idol
Odd number of Idols in play, Boon: The Earth's Gift - discard Copper, gain Mandarin, Idol on top of deck
Even number of Idols in play (0), Curse?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Idol Count during Resolution
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:52 pm »
+4

I don't think that's enough to trigger weirdness, but Highway-*Crown*-Idol to get Mandarin would.  In your scenario, Idol is only played once, so you can only get one or the other.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »
+5

That would be cute, but Idol’s text is a single sentence, so I think the two conditions are checked at the same time.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:53:36 pm »
+1

A similar situation would be playing Poacher with 1 pile empty, discarding a Tunnel which gains the last Gold, and then having to discard another card. I'm certain that's not the case either.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:59:46 pm by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »
+1

If playing Dominion Fluxx, then yes, card counts are constantly updated retroactively in real time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:42 pm »

IMO it's the "when you play this" means you don't Curse. If it was an Action then each line would be it's own check and you would curse.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:16:54 pm »
+1

IMO it's the "when you play this" means you don't Curse. If it was an Action then each line would be it's own check and you would curse.

That doesn't sound right... action cards have an implicit "when you play this" at the front of them. The fact that it's spelled out on treasures has never made a difference in the rules between the two.

I do agree that if they were 2 sentences instead of 1, then both things would happen.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
+3

If the count of Idols in play changes due to the Boon, can it then pass out a Curse?

I assume the answer is no, the count has already been determined ("if you then have" seems to point to the count being determined as soon as the Idol is played), but I've been wrong before.
Correct, the count has already been checked.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 08:34:17 pm »

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »

Clarification on how to play EACH Idol during the Buy phase

I start my Buy phase with 3 Idols in Hand.  I play my 1st Idol, given that when you play a card (including Treasures, you 'resolve them as they are played... correct?) and then per card text rule '... When you play this, if you then have an odd number of Idols in play, receive a Boon..., so I would take a Boon and resolve the Boon.
Note: see my other question about how to resolve an Idol's Boon here >>> http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19636)

So now that I have resolved the playing my 1st Idol and resolved receiving the Boon from having only 1 Idol 'CURRENTLY" in play.

Then I play my NEXT Idol from my hand, NOW... I resolve the 2nd Idol per the card text rule "... f an even number, each other player gains a Curse...'.  So now I do not get a Boon, but each other player gains a Curse...'

And then if I play a 3rd Idol I go back to the resolution that was done playing the 1st Boon.

Maybe this was clarified somewhere, but thought I would add how I read the card. (I have been wrong before though...sigh)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »
+2

I start my Buy phase with 3 Idols in Hand.  I play my 1st Idol, given that when you play a card (including Treasures, you 'resolve them as they are played... correct?) and then per card text rule '... When you play this, if you then have an odd number of Idols in play, receive a Boon..., so I would take a Boon and resolve the Boon.
Note: see my other question about how to resolve an Idol's Boon here >>> http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19636)

So now that I have resolved the playing my 1st Idol and resolved receiving the Boon from having only 1 Idol 'CURRENTLY" in play.

Then I play my NEXT Idol from my hand, NOW... I resolve the 2nd Idol per the card text rule "... f an even number, each other player gains a Curse...'.  So now I do not get a Boon, but each other player gains a Curse...'

And then if I play a 3rd Idol I go back to the resolution that was done playing the 1st Boon.

Maybe this was clarified somewhere, but thought I would add how I read the card. (I have been wrong before though...sigh)

It's not clear what your question or confusion is here... The entire point of Idol is that every-other-one does something different. The first, third, fifth idol you play do one thing, while the second, fourth, sixth idol you play does the other thing.

Simply play the card, and do exactly what it says.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:16:07 pm »

It's not clear what your question or confusion is here... The entire point of Idol is that every-other-one does something different. The first, third, fifth idol you play do one thing, while the second, fourth, sixth idol you play does the other thing.

Simply play the card, and do exactly what it says.

It was a request to ensure that there was some clarification.  As in this thread, it was not clearly spelled out that you play each one and alternate the odd and even resolution with each play.  If I missed that clarification in this thready, my apologies.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:09 pm »

You're right that this isn't spelled out anywhere for Idol. For someone who isn't used to Dominion's clear and literal card abilities - especially considering how common it is in games that the rules are written in a fuzzy way and you have to deduce the meaning - it's understandable that the way Idol is worded could make you think that you first play all your Idols before you resolve them.

But the way every card works in Dominion, is that you play it, then you resolve it. You don't wait until you've played other cards in-between. Idol is no different. You do exactly as the card says when you play it. It's also important to keep this in mind with other cards and interactions, or you will get several things wrong.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 20 queries.