Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Dominion Engine Alignment Chart  (Read 3778 times)

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
The Dominion Engine Alignment Chart
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:41:11 pm »
+22

In the style of the Sandwich Alignment Chart, I present to you the Dominion Engine Alignment Chart. It's meant to classify Dominion players by their opinion of what counts as an engine. How many of these nine would you agree with?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Engine Alignment Chart
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:28 pm »
+1

These charts are fun, but I not only don't understand some of your card choices, I also don't understand what you mean by "engine."

To me "engine" is "do more." That is really what it's all about. You do more. +Cards +Actions and +Buys all let you do more. IGG / Duchy, there is no do-more there, you are not doing more. It's a deck, it's not an engine.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:14:26 pm »
+4

These charts are fun, but I not only don't understand some of your card choices, I also don't understand what you mean by "engine."

To me "engine" is "do more." That is really what it's all about. You do more. +Cards +Actions and +Buys all let you do more. IGG / Duchy, there is no do-more there, you are not doing more. It's a deck, it's not an engine.

I think that's somewhat the point — the categories are defining what types of decks individual people would classify as an engine, and classifying  people based on that.  It seems you're not an "outcome neutral, ingredient rebel".

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:17:14 pm »
+3

I think that's somewhat the point — the categories are defining what types of decks individual people would classify as an engine, and classifying  people based on that.  It seems you're not an "outcome neutral, ingredient rebel".
I see, I see. It's all so clear now. But I mean. Those people calling IGG / Duchy an engine? They're just communicating poorly. There is no sense in which it's an engine.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »

Yeah, "Engine" is not the right word to use here.  Even the top left isn't really an engine.

Also, Crown on Idol gives you two Boons and doesn't curse your opponents; you still only have one in play.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »

Yeah, "Engine" is not the right word to use here.  Even the top left isn't really an engine.

Also, Crown on Idol gives you two Boons and doesn't curse your opponents; you still only have one in play.

It's assumed you are crowning the second Idol.

Where was that discussion with the user arguing that everyone used the term "engine" wrong based on what other board games refer to as "engine"?

samath

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »

Yes, not everything on this chart will be an engine to everyone. Most people do not think ice cream tacos are sandwiches, after all. And, well, IGG's gain you Coppers which make it easier to hit $5 to get more IGG's or Duchies (or maybe $8 for Province) both this turn and in the future. Here "do more" is just "gain and play more Treasures."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »
+1

Yes, not everything on this chart will be an engine to everyone. Most people do not think ice cream tacos are sandwiches, after all. And, well, IGG's gain you Coppers which make it easier to hit $5 to get more IGG's or Duchies (or maybe $8 for Province) both this turn and in the future. Here "do more" is just "gain and play more Treasures."

Oh, I understand now.  I didn't actually click through to the Sandwich chart and was misremembering.  Yeah, most of those aren't engines, but most of the sandwich chart isn't sandwiches.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

samath

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:09 am »
+2

Yeah, for what it's worth, I only consider the upperleftmost three engines, which is coincidentally also where I land for sandwiches.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:52 am »
+1

Where was that discussion with the user arguing that everyone used the term "engine" wrong based on what other board games refer to as "engine"?

In the "Dominion 101: What is an Engine?" article.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:01 am »

From the description of things, I would say I'm Outcome Neutral/Ingeredient Rebel, but I absolutely do not think that Duchy/IGG is an engine.

The "do a variety of things" for is mostly comes down to various forms of control; deck control, pile control etc. Duchy/IGG achieves none of that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:00:21 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

samath

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 01:17:14 pm »

What would be a better example in that slot then? It should be an "engine" that's rather outlandish in the things it uses (i.e. not actions) but which still draws and/or buys victory cards but not both.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 01:26:45 pm »

I think Radical Engine Anarchy makes a good point.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 06:40:53 am »
+1

What would be a better example in that slot then? It should be an "engine" that's rather outlandish in the things it uses (i.e. not actions) but which still draws and/or buys victory cards but not both.
It's hard to come up with.... how about Vampire/Distant Lands?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.