Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A really bad card idea (or a great one... promo?)  (Read 2085 times)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
A really bad card idea (or a great one... promo?)
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:32:00 pm »

For Canada's 150th birthday (I'm Canadian) I was trying to come up with a Trade mechanic... this was initially something totally different that was color-coded to you, went around the table giving people "Goods" cards (think heirlooms? Or maybe more like States?) and generally made the card super complicated, and then you got a major bonus if it got back to you.

Then I simplified it. It's still not *good* but it is at least playable and likely fun although I think you'd play it like 4 times for the lols and then never again.

Presenting: The Voyageur!

Essentially it plays "Bigger and Better" around the table. It's not something I could actually suggest as an attempt at a real card (maybe a Promo?) but I do suggest playing with it for the lols.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: A really bad card idea (or a great one... promo?)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:11 pm »

For Canada's 150th birthday (I'm Canadian) I was trying to come up with a Trade mechanic... this was initially something totally different that was color-coded to you, went around the table giving people "Goods" cards (think heirlooms? Or maybe more like States?) and generally made the card super complicated, and then you got a major bonus if it got back to you.

Then I simplified it. It's still not *good* but it is at least playable and likely fun although I think you'd play it like 4 times for the lols and then never again.

Presenting: The Voyageur!

Essentially it plays "Bigger and Better" around the table. It's not something I could actually suggest as an attempt at a real card (maybe a Promo?) but I do suggest playing with it for the lols.

Have fun with getting Coppers swapped to Estates.

Ewokonfire

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »

Needs 'or reveals a hand of lower-cost cards', otherwise it forces honesty.  It synergizes very nicely with Peddler in the late game - Peddler costs 8 except in the Buy phase, so they have to trade in a Province if they have one.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »

Yes, it should say "Or reveals they can't"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:17:04 pm »

It doesn't need to say "discard this"; it will be discarded normally at the end of your next turn due to Duration rules. The "discard this" would allow you to play the same copy of a card every turn; which goes against how Durations work in general.

One problem is that it scales really weird with different player counts. Most of the time it simply isn't going to help you to play it at all. Either you end up getting an Estate back; having gotten rid of a Copper or an Estate; or you get rid of something actually good; and get the same thing or some equally good thing back.

It should be an attack; a it forces other players to lose cards. Actually, since the card they lose comes from their hand, and the card they gain goes to their discard, this can lock players out of the game. Just play 5 of these, with a Copper on each; and your opponents will have 0 cards to use on their turn. It would need some sort of "with 4 or more cards in hand" to prevent that, and it's already pretty wordy.

Not sure if there's a good way to fix these issues while keeping the concept the same. It seems like you would want to make sure the card you get is more than the one you return; not allow the same cost. But even then; it's extremely swingy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:51 pm »

For a while I tried to design a card that would have players exchange "good" cards.  The best I could come up with, was a sort of TFB that would set aside the card you trashed, and gain you the last card that had been set aside.  And give you a bonus for setting aside a more expensive card than the one you gained.

It wasn't great because what if you just gain an Estate?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »

One problem is that it scales really weird with different player counts.
Yep. To me, that sort of scaling is a cardinal rule of Dominion card design; a card shouldn't cost less or more with 2 players than with 6.

Since the card they lose comes from their hand, and the card they gain goes to their discard, this can lock players out of the game.

I keep missing the fact that exchange implies "back to discard pile" and not "back to wherever the card was" -- I would rework this so that the only person who gets a card in the discard pile is the player.

All in all, I have no intention of ever landing this card as anything more than a joke.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 07:12:12 am »

I had a very similar custom card idea for another game, it had this effect "put a card from your hand face down in front of you and name it's cost.
During other players' turns they can swap it with a card in their hand of the same cost, if swaped both players put their new cards into their hand. At the start of your turn, if the face down
card is still there trash it and you may gain a card costing up to 2 more then the destroyed card and put it into your hand" These types of effects don't really fit dominion well in my book.

Voyageur- Forcing your opponent to trade without even this being an attack is weird. Doesn't work well with copper. Uses honor since it doesn't force hand reveals. I can see this card being extra swingly, you could force someone to give you a province late game if they're unlucky, a high value card early game if they only draw it with coppers, or you can get the same or a worst card. The only real value target for this card is estate, but even with the estate combo you could still get easily get a estate back. Also the card doesn't need the "discard this" text.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.