Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Banshee  (Read 2789 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Banshee
« on: November 26, 2017, 03:19:59 pm »
+3

I felt one of the missed opportunities in Nocturne was a Banshee card, so I made one!  I'm still toying with it, and not settled on the effects each card type should give.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: Banshee
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »
+1

Agree with wanting a banshee card.
The attack for trashing an action is too nasty. Pillage is a one-shot 5-cost for a reason.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »
+1

The attack for trashing an action is too nasty. Pillage is a one-shot 5-cost for a reason.

True.  Also a bit too easy to stack, I'm realizing.  Maybe just a straight "discard down to 3"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

Mmm, churning the Copper pile. Games with this in will be full of people using this to trash their starting Coppers and give out more Coppers, kind of like Ambassador.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:20:30 pm »

True.  Also a bit too easy to stack, I'm realizing.  Maybe just a straight "discard down to 3"?

Yeah. Not that it’s super easy,   but with things like Lurker, you could build something that locks opponents out.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:10:32 am »

Yeah. Not that it’s super easy,   but with things like Lurker, you could build something that locks opponents out.

You can maybe tweak it so they discard a card of your choice and then they draw a card, or two cards. Trashing an action should be assumed to be usable every turn, thanks to Action card gainers (such as Lurker) and Fortress and other things.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:38 am »

The copper ambassador effect is probably too strong, also considering that Banshee is nonterminal. Fact is, ambassador tends to slowly thin (2p) or slowly junk (3-4p), so it's getting the game somewhere. In 2p, banshee (bar other trashing) is only moving copper around, so you'll get the copper table tennis thing, only nonterminal and infinite. I'd be extra careful when testing this.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 04:40:34 am »

The copper ambassador effect is probably too strong, also considering that Banshee is nonterminal. Fact is, ambassador tends to slowly thin (2p) or slowly junk (3-4p), so it's getting the game somewhere. In 2p, banshee (bar other trashing) is only moving copper around, so you'll get the copper table tennis thing, only nonterminal and infinite. I'd be extra careful when testing this.
Agreed; the Copper effect is more problematic than the Action one, which isn't to say that the Action one is unproblematic. But ambassadoring a Copper that you still get to use the same turn is nuts.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:51:12 am »
+2

I think swapping the Night and Action effects would improve the card. Nights aren't as easily retrievable from the trash and there won't be a lot of them in the kingdom. Trash an Action to make each other player gain a card is a deal you want to make sometimes, but it's not terribly strong.

The Treasure trashing could be a discard effect, but of course now the card looks a whole lot like Catapult.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:52:40 am »

I really, really don't like for Ambassador to be considered a baseline against which fan cards are measured.  There a lots of threads that suggest Ambassador is a Very Special Card. 
You shouldn't need to.  "nonterminal noble brigand, how dare you", or whatever.
Ambassador is ok.  But I think it's like, a design miracle that it's ok.  In some alternate universe with either 2$ or 4$ Silver I suspect it's very not o.k.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:52:30 am »

I really, really don't like for Ambassador to be considered a baseline against which fan cards are measured.  There a lots of threads that suggest Ambassador is a Very Special Card. 
Ambassador is ok.  But I think it's like, a design miracle that it's ok.  In some alternate universe with either 2$ or 4$ Silver I suspect it's very not o.k.

I don't understand what you're saying. Ambassador is by far the closest comparison (with Catapult second), so it makes sense to compare with those two cards.
Then, of course Amby is uniquely OP, and Ambassador variants should be looked at with extra care.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:25 am »

I don't understand what you're saying. Ambassador is by far the closest comparison (with Catapult second), so it makes sense to compare with those two cards.
Then, of course Amby is uniquely OP, and Ambassador variants should be looked at with extra care.
p sure we're just violently agreeing

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »
+1

I like the art and the concept. But if it is a haunted-themed card, shouldn't it topdeck down to 3 instead?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:00 pm »

May I suggest a better image?

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.